“Awesome staff”

Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Awesome staff”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I recently stayed at this location while in town on business. The staff was awesome and the manger took time to carry on a friendly conversation with me in the Bistro. The room was very comfortable and close to downtown stores and restaurants. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad that you had a great experience. We pride ourselves our team. Thank you for choosing the newly renovated Courtyard Norfolk Downtown!

Tony Parrow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Virginia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Arrived solo, found my way to the parking garage (read on TA not to use Valet), parked on 2nd level and immediately was not sure which staircase led to hotel (nothing marked), keeping in mind it is dark and late and I'm alone. After descending down a dark staircase I was on the street not near the lobby. Check-in was smooth, front desk staff VERY friendly. Decided I would have a night cap before retiring, Bistro dead - could see staff in the back on their cell phones, waited for a few minutes - bagged the idea. Upon arrival in my room, the connecting door was open, a few drawers were open in my room - very unsettling. Room in great repair, nice bedding, bed not so comfy as others have reported (if you are used to the standard Marriott bedding, you need to stay at a Marriott), heating/air conditioning loud and street noise even from 8th floor. I picked this hotel thinking I could walk to the MacArthur Center mall and some restaurants, maybe in warmer weather, daylight and not alone. May return in the summer but not in off season or alone. Overall a nice hotel just not for me this trip, should have stayed at the Marriott with full amenities.

Room Tip: High floor to avoid street noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Travelmom29
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for the review. I apologize for the confusion with parking. Valet is included with the price of parking and definitely the way to go. The garage is set up for valet parking and not necessarily for guests which is why we include it.

I am really glad that you found the front desk staff to be friendly and the room to be nice.

We appreciate your feedback and business and hope to see you in the summer.
Ridgeway, Virginia
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The Courtyard Norfolk Downtown is an excellent choice when visiting the Norfolk Va. area. The central location is a plus, close to restaurants,the water , and a mall. The staff was very friendly and made last minute changes of rooms for our large group. There is a large sitting area in the lobby where everyone can watch a football game or just relax with friends. The hotel was very clean and well groomed. I will strongly recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing the Courtyard Norfolk! We enjoyed having your group and I’m glad that it went so well. Thank you for choosing the newly renovated Courtyard Norfolk Downtown!

Tony Parrow
Monteagle, Tennessee
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our group had adjoining rooms and both rooms had problems with the air-conditioning. I called the front desk and had them send up a repair person as the unit was not cooling. I watched as he removed the cover from the unit. There was at least a 2 1/2" build up of dust on the filter. The filter was replaced and the unit began to cool the room to a small degree.

In the middle of the night, the adjoining room's unit kicked into heat mode and could not be shut off or set back into cooling mode. My friends had to be moved into another room at 2:30 a.m. Someone needs to have a chat with the people responsible for maintaining these units.

The rooms were clean and other than the above mentioned problems, we enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for the review! I sincerely apologize for the problem that you encountered with the Air Conditioning. I will have my engineering department check all of the rooms again right away. Currently we are transitioning all of them to the heat mode and replacing the filters. I am glad that you found the room to be clean and that you enjoyed your stay!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is a good location in down-town Norfolk. Check-in was a little unfriendly and some of a staff seemed a little disinterested.
Dinner was OK, but not very well organised with one harassed-looking guy trying to run bar and prepare snacks at the same time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mayday124
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for your review! I apologize for the check-in. We normally pride ourselves in the friendliness of our staff and rank highly among all Courtyard Hotels. I have followed up with the team and shared your helpful feedback. I really appreciate your business and comments.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Location of this hotel is convenient to the mall, downtown companies, restaurants, and was very easy to get too from the highway. The staff was nice and the Bistro Concept was very nice. Paying a few bucks ($10) for an actual hot breakfast is better in my opinion than the competitors free options. The prices for Breakfast are good, but I think the beverages and beer prices at night are a bit over priced. The room was average at best. The air conditioning didn't really cool the room all that well, but all in all it was acceptable. I did use the gym in the morning, and it was passable for a hotel facility.

Would I stay here again on a future visit to Norfolk - Yes

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello!

As an avid tripadvisor user, your feedback is greatly appreciated! I’m glad that you liked the staff, location and the Bistro. I apologize for the issue with the Air Conditioner! It has been since taken care of. I’m also excited to say that our room renovation is complete and came out great! Thank you for your business and valuable comments!
Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at the Courtyard after the conference hotel was full. This turned out better than I expected. I was very pleased with the hotel in many ways. The building, rooms, common areas, and grounds were well maintained. The lobby reflects Courtyard’s new marketing and services direction and contains a snack bar/bar. The entire lobby was nicely decorated and had many areas to sit and meet. The lobby included computers and a boarding pass printer. The entire building was very quiet and the hotel staff was very responsive to questions. Close to many restaurants and across the street from a large upscale shopping mall. Nothing but good things to say about the stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for the very kind words! We appreciate your business and positive feedback. I’m very glad that the hotel worked out so well for you. We are a great alternative to the “big box” conference hotels with our convenient location and cozy atmosphere. We hope to be able to serve your needs again soon!