“Airconditioning troubles”

Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Monteagle, Tennessee
“Airconditioning troubles”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our group had adjoining rooms and both rooms had problems with the air-conditioning. I called the front desk and had them send up a repair person as the unit was not cooling. I watched as he removed the cover from the unit. There was at least a 2 1/2" build up of dust on the filter. The filter was replaced and the unit began to cool the room to a small degree.

In the middle of the night, the adjoining room's unit kicked into heat mode and could not be shut off or set back into cooling mode. My friends had to be moved into another room at 2:30 a.m. Someone needs to have a chat with the people responsible for maintaining these units.

The rooms were clean and other than the above mentioned problems, we enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for the review! I sincerely apologize for the problem that you encountered with the Air Conditioning. I will have my engineering department check all of the rooms again right away. Currently we are transitioning all of them to the heat mode and replacing the filters. I am glad that you found the room to be clean and that you enjoyed your stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is a good location in down-town Norfolk. Check-in was a little unfriendly and some of a staff seemed a little disinterested.
Dinner was OK, but not very well organised with one harassed-looking guy trying to run bar and prepare snacks at the same time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mayday124
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for your review! I apologize for the check-in. We normally pride ourselves in the friendliness of our staff and rank highly among all Courtyard Hotels. I have followed up with the team and shared your helpful feedback. I really appreciate your business and comments.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Location of this hotel is convenient to the mall, downtown companies, restaurants, and was very easy to get too from the highway. The staff was nice and the Bistro Concept was very nice. Paying a few bucks ($10) for an actual hot breakfast is better in my opinion than the competitors free options. The prices for Breakfast are good, but I think the beverages and beer prices at night are a bit over priced. The room was average at best. The air conditioning didn't really cool the room all that well, but all in all it was acceptable. I did use the gym in the morning, and it was passable for a hotel facility.

Would I stay here again on a future visit to Norfolk - Yes

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello!

As an avid tripadvisor user, your feedback is greatly appreciated! I’m glad that you liked the staff, location and the Bistro. I apologize for the issue with the Air Conditioner! It has been since taken care of. I’m also excited to say that our room renovation is complete and came out great! Thank you for your business and valuable comments!
Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at the Courtyard after the conference hotel was full. This turned out better than I expected. I was very pleased with the hotel in many ways. The building, rooms, common areas, and grounds were well maintained. The lobby reflects Courtyard’s new marketing and services direction and contains a snack bar/bar. The entire lobby was nicely decorated and had many areas to sit and meet. The lobby included computers and a boarding pass printer. The entire building was very quiet and the hotel staff was very responsive to questions. Close to many restaurants and across the street from a large upscale shopping mall. Nothing but good things to say about the stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for the very kind words! We appreciate your business and positive feedback. I’m very glad that the hotel worked out so well for you. We are a great alternative to the “big box” conference hotels with our convenient location and cozy atmosphere. We hope to be able to serve your needs again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for a collage game. The game had some challenges up to the last quarter- went into overtime. My experience with this hotel somewhat was the same. I found the staff to be very, very pleasant, the rooms clean and generally no major issues. I made reservation and should have made it clear that I'm not handicapped. Please save these rooms for those who really need them-- could have requested a change, but after “hauling” my luggage up to my room (without a luggage cart), I pretty much did not feel the desire to request a room change—having to again haul my luggage. When asked about the luggage cart; was informed that guest kept them in their room(s). So why not charge them ‘luggage cart rental’? I have a reasonable back, but after hours of traveling and paying for quality service; allowing guest to hold the luggage carts in their rooms is not very considered of others. Good thing I’m not ‘handicapped’. About the mattress, consider it "OK". I have a king mattress and it is a much better quality than the one I slept on ---shame on you! I have ALWAYS enjoyed the mattress at most Marriott’s; however this mattress should not have been outlawed. Although, the claim is that mattress are fairly updated -- this king size bed was very low -- looks like a queen. Finally, I was informed that the valet parking was just put into place two weeks before I arrive. When I made the reservation, I had the option—but when I arrived, was forced to accept valet parking. I prefer to have to an option. The valet staff were most pleasant. So, again, I accepted the ‘challenge and moved on. Overall, rating – consider going onto overtime- get your luggage carts out of guest rooms, handicapped room for those who need them and please check into improved quality mattresses.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback! I apologize for the placement into an accessible room. We save these rooms for those who request them, but when we are full, we fill those rooms last. We used your feedback on the luggage carts to add a best practice of writing down where the luggage carts go so that we are able to retrieve them when guests decide to keep them in the room. This has worked very well and we appreciate you helping us improve. Also, we checked the mattress in that room and actually replaced the frame. Although the mattress was brand new, the frame was substandard and made the bed less than desirable. Thank you for pointing that out so I could get it fixed right away. Your detailed feedback was very valuable to us and the minor tweaks that we were able to make in addition to the already pleasant staff and clean rooms that you pointed out, make us that much better than the local hotels. I hope that you are able to return during the college football season next year. Thanks again!
NYC area
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I so wish I had read these reviews before our stay. While everyone here was very pleasant and competent, I have one major complaint. The beds were about the most uncomfortable I have ever been on. It is pretty obvious that the mattresses in our room should have been replaced long ago. As soon as we got to the room, I called the front desk and commented on the mattresses. They really were that bad. I was told that all the rooms had the same mattresses. If I had read these reviews first, I definitely would have insisted on a different room. We were in room 412. For me, comfort of the mattresses ranks second only to cleanliness. Hence the low rating. This hotel was very clean though and the staff was wonderful, except for the person who did not tell me that some rooms had been upgraded when I called to complain about the mattresses.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in one of the upgraded rooms. Avoid room 412 if it has not been upgraded yet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank OceansBobbie
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for the review. I'm glad you found the hotel to be very clean though and that the staff was wonderful. I sincerely aplogize for the mattress issue. All of our mattresses were replaced this summer. I will look today at room 412 to see if this mattress is defective. I can understand why this is so important and I can guarentee that it'll be taken care of. I apologize again for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your business!
Tony Parrow
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here for one night while on a business trip. The makeover has made the place look very nice. The location is good. Service was good. The room was nice as well. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank njpk
Hello! Thank you for the review. The renovation came out wonderful. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to be able to serve your travel needs again in the future!