“Nice relaxing stay”

Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Pittsburgh
“Nice relaxing stay”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at the Courtyard after the conference hotel was full. This turned out better than I expected. I was very pleased with the hotel in many ways. The building, rooms, common areas, and grounds were well maintained. The lobby reflects Courtyard’s new marketing and services direction and contains a snack bar/bar. The entire lobby was nicely decorated and had many areas to sit and meet. The lobby included computers and a boarding pass printer. The entire building was very quiet and the hotel staff was very responsive to questions. Close to many restaurants and across the street from a large upscale shopping mall. Nothing but good things to say about the stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for the very kind words! We appreciate your business and positive feedback. I’m very glad that the hotel worked out so well for you. We are a great alternative to the “big box” conference hotels with our convenient location and cozy atmosphere. We hope to be able to serve your needs again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for a collage game. The game had some challenges up to the last quarter- went into overtime. My experience with this hotel somewhat was the same. I found the staff to be very, very pleasant, the rooms clean and generally no major issues. I made reservation and should have made it clear that I'm not handicapped. Please save these rooms for those who really need them-- could have requested a change, but after “hauling” my luggage up to my room (without a luggage cart), I pretty much did not feel the desire to request a room change—having to again haul my luggage. When asked about the luggage cart; was informed that guest kept them in their room(s). So why not charge them ‘luggage cart rental’? I have a reasonable back, but after hours of traveling and paying for quality service; allowing guest to hold the luggage carts in their rooms is not very considered of others. Good thing I’m not ‘handicapped’. About the mattress, consider it "OK". I have a king mattress and it is a much better quality than the one I slept on ---shame on you! I have ALWAYS enjoyed the mattress at most Marriott’s; however this mattress should not have been outlawed. Although, the claim is that mattress are fairly updated -- this king size bed was very low -- looks like a queen. Finally, I was informed that the valet parking was just put into place two weeks before I arrive. When I made the reservation, I had the option—but when I arrived, was forced to accept valet parking. I prefer to have to an option. The valet staff were most pleasant. So, again, I accepted the ‘challenge and moved on. Overall, rating – consider going onto overtime- get your luggage carts out of guest rooms, handicapped room for those who need them and please check into improved quality mattresses.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback! I apologize for the placement into an accessible room. We save these rooms for those who request them, but when we are full, we fill those rooms last. We used your feedback on the luggage carts to add a best practice of writing down where the luggage carts go so that we are able to retrieve them when guests decide to keep them in the room. This has worked very well and we appreciate you helping us improve. Also, we checked the mattress in that room and actually replaced the frame. Although the mattress was brand new, the frame was substandard and made the bed less than desirable. Thank you for pointing that out so I could get it fixed right away. Your detailed feedback was very valuable to us and the minor tweaks that we were able to make in addition to the already pleasant staff and clean rooms that you pointed out, make us that much better than the local hotels. I hope that you are able to return during the college football season next year. Thanks again!
NYC area
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I so wish I had read these reviews before our stay. While everyone here was very pleasant and competent, I have one major complaint. The beds were about the most uncomfortable I have ever been on. It is pretty obvious that the mattresses in our room should have been replaced long ago. As soon as we got to the room, I called the front desk and commented on the mattresses. They really were that bad. I was told that all the rooms had the same mattresses. If I had read these reviews first, I definitely would have insisted on a different room. We were in room 412. For me, comfort of the mattresses ranks second only to cleanliness. Hence the low rating. This hotel was very clean though and the staff was wonderful, except for the person who did not tell me that some rooms had been upgraded when I called to complain about the mattresses.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in one of the upgraded rooms. Avoid room 412 if it has not been upgraded yet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank OceansBobbie
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for the review. I'm glad you found the hotel to be very clean though and that the staff was wonderful. I sincerely aplogize for the mattress issue. All of our mattresses were replaced this summer. I will look today at room 412 to see if this mattress is defective. I can understand why this is so important and I can guarentee that it'll be taken care of. I apologize again for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your business!
Tony Parrow
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here for one night while on a business trip. The makeover has made the place look very nice. The location is good. Service was good. The room was nice as well. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank njpk
Hello! Thank you for the review. The renovation came out wonderful. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to be able to serve your travel needs again in the future!
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed at this location (for the second time) on the weekend of August 24, 2012. The hotel is located close to many attractions in downtown Norfolk with almost everything in walking distance. The front desk staff was always very helpful with providing answers to all my questions and giving directions to everywhere I wanted to go.

The Bistro had a nice breakfast selection (I enjoyed the healthy options myself) with lots of seating areas and booths with televisions. The lobby area in general was exceptional, has a business center, boarding pass area, Market with a large selection of snacks and lots of seating areas.

Room exceeded my expectations, very comfortable bed, sofa, computer desk and chair. Room had wired and wireless internet available, flat screen TV, mini-fridge and all the standard things you would expect in a hotel of this level.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review! We were glad to have you back for the reunion again. I’m so glad that everything went well for you during your visit. Until next time! Tony Parrow
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The service was excellent and the staff was extremely helpful and they truly possessed ideal customer service skills. We held a family Reunion at the Courtyard and my family said I made a great choice in choosing the Courtyard. The food was superb as we had a Banquet in the MacArthur room. SERVICE WAS PROVIDED WITH A SMILE!!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Luvenia
Hello! Service with a smile is our favorite way to work. The team truly enjoys what they do and I’m excited that this was reflected during your family reunion. We hope to host you and your family again in the future. Thank you very much, Tony Parrow
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have now stayed at this hotel on several occasions. They remain consistent with the exceptional service provided here. From the staff at the valet area (Josh) to the front desk (Erica) to the manager (Tony), everyone was attentive to my needs and delivered quality service. The room was very clean with nice luxurious bedding. The overall facility was beautiful with a lovely area on the first floor for meeting/greeting friends or colleagues. They also had a nice dining area for light breakfast or sandwiches throughout the day. I love Marriott properties and I will definitely return to this location again and again. Thank you, Tony, for exceptional customer service!!!

Room Tip: Try the suites; lots of room and really nice!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SummerTime65
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review! You mentioned Josh who is a former winner of Valet of the Year for the City of Norfolk and Erica who is one of our biggest assests. I’m really glad that everything went so well for you during your visit. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the future! Tony Parrow