“Wish I had read this before my stay...”

Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
NYC area
“Wish I had read this before my stay...”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I so wish I had read these reviews before our stay. While everyone here was very pleasant and competent, I have one major complaint. The beds were about the most uncomfortable I have ever been on. It is pretty obvious that the mattresses in our room should have been replaced long ago. As soon as we got to the room, I called the front desk and commented on the mattresses. They really were that bad. I was told that all the rooms had the same mattresses. If I had read these reviews first, I definitely would have insisted on a different room. We were in room 412. For me, comfort of the mattresses ranks second only to cleanliness. Hence the low rating. This hotel was very clean though and the staff was wonderful, except for the person who did not tell me that some rooms had been upgraded when I called to complain about the mattresses.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in one of the upgraded rooms. Avoid room 412 if it has not been upgraded yet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank OceansBobbie
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for the review. I'm glad you found the hotel to be very clean though and that the staff was wonderful. I sincerely aplogize for the mattress issue. All of our mattresses were replaced this summer. I will look today at room 412 to see if this mattress is defective. I can understand why this is so important and I can guarentee that it'll be taken care of. I apologize again for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your business!
Tony Parrow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here for one night while on a business trip. The makeover has made the place look very nice. The location is good. Service was good. The room was nice as well. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank njpk
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello! Thank you for the review. The renovation came out wonderful. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to be able to serve your travel needs again in the future!
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed at this location (for the second time) on the weekend of August 24, 2012. The hotel is located close to many attractions in downtown Norfolk with almost everything in walking distance. The front desk staff was always very helpful with providing answers to all my questions and giving directions to everywhere I wanted to go.

The Bistro had a nice breakfast selection (I enjoyed the healthy options myself) with lots of seating areas and booths with televisions. The lobby area in general was exceptional, has a business center, boarding pass area, Market with a large selection of snacks and lots of seating areas.

Room exceeded my expectations, very comfortable bed, sofa, computer desk and chair. Room had wired and wireless internet available, flat screen TV, mini-fridge and all the standard things you would expect in a hotel of this level.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review! We were glad to have you back for the reunion again. I’m so glad that everything went well for you during your visit. Until next time! Tony Parrow
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The service was excellent and the staff was extremely helpful and they truly possessed ideal customer service skills. We held a family Reunion at the Courtyard and my family said I made a great choice in choosing the Courtyard. The food was superb as we had a Banquet in the MacArthur room. SERVICE WAS PROVIDED WITH A SMILE!!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Luvenia
Hello! Service with a smile is our favorite way to work. The team truly enjoys what they do and I’m excited that this was reflected during your family reunion. We hope to host you and your family again in the future. Thank you very much, Tony Parrow
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have now stayed at this hotel on several occasions. They remain consistent with the exceptional service provided here. From the staff at the valet area (Josh) to the front desk (Erica) to the manager (Tony), everyone was attentive to my needs and delivered quality service. The room was very clean with nice luxurious bedding. The overall facility was beautiful with a lovely area on the first floor for meeting/greeting friends or colleagues. They also had a nice dining area for light breakfast or sandwiches throughout the day. I love Marriott properties and I will definitely return to this location again and again. Thank you, Tony, for exceptional customer service!!!

Room Tip: Try the suites; lots of room and really nice!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SummerTime65
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review! You mentioned Josh who is a former winner of Valet of the Year for the City of Norfolk and Erica who is one of our biggest assests. I’m really glad that everything went so well for you during your visit. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the future! Tony Parrow
Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

What a nice surprise. This hotel has been renovated and my room was just wonderful. Quiet and clean. And the bed was so yummy comfortable. Had a great night's sleep. Wil definitely return . Staff people I encountered we're all super nice. Three cheers for Marriott.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank K1103
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Hello!
As an avid TripAdvisor user, your review means a lot! Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad that you found the bed to be so comfortable! We look forward to serving your travel needs again soon!

Tony
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I won't be coming back to this hotel again. I came here for work and they have been renovating a room across the hall. It has been a week of loud hammering and electrical grinding. When I asked for this to stop or a different room I was told they were trying to resolve the problem and i could not have a different room. Only when I complained a second time did they stop. Very inhospitable and unpleasant customer service.

• Stayed July 2012
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We are at the very end of an extensive room renovation. The final rooms are being completed and unfortunately we had to chip away concrete for about an hour and a half this week to finish a room. I’m really sorry that this wasn’t completed faster and that we did not get them to stop the first time you mentioned it. We tried to complete this during the middle of the day to have the least impact on our customers since the hotel is at its least capacity during this time. I can certainly understand why this was frustrating to you.

The renovation has turned out amazing. As you stated, the lobby and rooms are very nice. We now feature Courtyard’s Refreshing Business lobby concept (designed to give travelers the flexibility to work and socialize however they choose while on the road), and completely renovated guest rooms, meeting rooms, corridors, fitness center, and pool.

The open, bright and contemporary new Courtyard hotel lobby welcomes guests with vivid contrasting colors, including blue, green, orange and red. The traditional front desk is replaced with separate welcome pedestals to create more personal and private interactions when guests check in. This will allow staff to move about to show guests the lobby features and provide assistance. Flexible seating options range from a communal table in the middle of the action, to more private media booths with high-definition televisions, to a more intimate, semi-enclosed lounge area.

A signature element of the new lobby is the exclusive GoBoard technology, a 52-inch LCD touch screen packed with local information, maps, weather, and news, business and sports headlines. Guests can navigate using the touch screen to find restaurants, local attractions and directions.

Guests can connect to free WiFi, and there are ample electrical outlets throughout the lobby to power digital devices. The enlarged business library features several complimentary computer terminals along with a free printer and separate computer stations dedicated to printing airline boarding passes and checking flight status.

Dining has been completely redesigned with The Bistro – Eat. Drink. Connect.; offering casual, flexible seating; easier access to food and higher quality, healthier menu options for breakfast; and light evening fare, including snacks, wine and beer so guests can unwind. The Market, a 24/7 shop for snacks, beverages and sundries, is always open for late-night cravings or the toothpaste you forgot to pack.