“Nice redo.”

Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here for one night while on a business trip. The makeover has made the place look very nice. The location is good. Service was good. The room was nice as well. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank njpk
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Hello! Thank you for the review. The renovation came out wonderful. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to be able to serve your travel needs again in the future!

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Norfolk Downtown

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed at this location (for the second time) on the weekend of August 24, 2012. The hotel is located close to many attractions in downtown Norfolk with almost everything in walking distance. The front desk staff was always very helpful with providing answers to all my questions and giving directions to everywhere I wanted to go.

The Bistro had a nice breakfast selection (I enjoyed the healthy options myself) with lots of seating areas and booths with televisions. The lobby area in general was exceptional, has a business center, boarding pass area, Market with a large selection of snacks and lots of seating areas.

Room exceeded my expectations, very comfortable bed, sofa, computer desk and chair. Room had wired and wireless internet available, flat screen TV, mini-fridge and all the standard things you would expect in a hotel of this level.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review! We were glad to have you back for the reunion again. I’m so glad that everything went well for you during your visit. Until next time! Tony Parrow

Reviewed August 9, 2012

The service was excellent and the staff was extremely helpful and they truly possessed ideal customer service skills. We held a family Reunion at the Courtyard and my family said I made a great choice in choosing the Courtyard. The food was superb as we had a Banquet in the MacArthur room. SERVICE WAS PROVIDED WITH A SMILE!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Luvenia

Hello! Service with a smile is our favorite way to work. The team truly enjoys what they do and I’m excited that this was reflected during your family reunion. We hope to host you and your family again in the future. Thank you very much, Tony Parrow

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have now stayed at this hotel on several occasions. They remain consistent with the exceptional service provided here. From the staff at the valet area (Josh) to the front desk (Erica) to the manager (Tony), everyone was attentive to my needs and delivered quality service. The room was very clean with nice luxurious bedding. The overall facility was beautiful with a lovely area on the first floor for meeting/greeting friends or colleagues. They also had a nice dining area for light breakfast or sandwiches throughout the day. I love Marriott properties and I will definitely return to this location again and again. Thank you, Tony, for exceptional customer service!!!

Room Tip: Try the suites; lots of room and really nice!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SummerTime65

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review! You mentioned Josh who is a former winner of Valet of the Year for the City of Norfolk and Erica who is one of our biggest assests. I’m really glad that everything went so well for you during your visit. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the future! Tony Parrow

Reviewed August 1, 2012

What a nice surprise. This hotel has been renovated and my room was just wonderful. Quiet and clean. And the bed was so yummy comfortable. Had a great night's sleep. Wil definitely return . Staff people I encountered we're all super nice. Three cheers for Marriott.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank K1103
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Hello!
As an avid TripAdvisor user, your review means a lot! Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad that you found the bed to be so comfortable! We look forward to serving your travel needs again soon!

Tony

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I won't be coming back to this hotel again. I came here for work and they have been renovating a room across the hall. It has been a week of loud hammering and electrical grinding. When I asked for this to stop or a different room I was told they were trying to resolve the problem and i could not have a different room. Only when I complained a second time did they stop. Very inhospitable and unpleasant customer service.

• Stayed: July 2012
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Thank you for your feedback! We are at the very end of an extensive room renovation. The final rooms are being completed and unfortunately we had to chip away concrete for about an hour and a half this week to finish a room. I’m really sorry that this wasn’t completed faster and that we did not get them to stop the first time you mentioned it. We tried to complete this during the middle of the day to have the least impact on our customers since the hotel is at its least capacity during this time. I can certainly understand why this was frustrating to you.

The renovation has turned out amazing. As you stated, the lobby and rooms are very nice. We now feature Courtyard’s Refreshing Business lobby concept (designed to give travelers the flexibility to work and socialize however they choose while on the road), and completely renovated guest rooms, meeting rooms, corridors, fitness center, and pool.

The open, bright and contemporary new Courtyard hotel lobby welcomes guests with vivid contrasting colors, including blue, green, orange and red. The traditional front desk is replaced with separate welcome pedestals to create more personal and private interactions when guests check in. This will allow staff to move about to show guests the lobby features and provide assistance. Flexible seating options range from a communal table in the middle of the action, to more private media booths with high-definition televisions, to a more intimate, semi-enclosed lounge area.

A signature element of the new lobby is the exclusive GoBoard technology, a 52-inch LCD touch screen packed with local information, maps, weather, and news, business and sports headlines. Guests can navigate using the touch screen to find restaurants, local attractions and directions.

Guests can connect to free WiFi, and there are ample electrical outlets throughout the lobby to power digital devices. The enlarged business library features several complimentary computer terminals along with a free printer and separate computer stations dedicated to printing airline boarding passes and checking flight status.

Dining has been completely redesigned with The Bistro – Eat. Drink. Connect.; offering casual, flexible seating; easier access to food and higher quality, healthier menu options for breakfast; and light evening fare, including snacks, wine and beer so guests can unwind. The Market, a 24/7 shop for snacks, beverages and sundries, is always open for late-night cravings or the toothpaste you forgot to pack.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I hosted a meeting of 30 out-of-town managers for my company just last week at the hotel. Dawn, the director of sales, was outstanding. I have hosted at least a dozen events at hotels (this being the smallest), and Dawn was by far the easiest to work with and most flexible in my experience. The food they prepared was great, even when working off the menu to meet my desires. The three wait-staff they had working our small group were excellent. They had a positive attitude and were very attentive. We did suffer an air-condition outage during our meetings, however the engineer was right on top of the situation. Our only real issue was some of our lighter sleepers were bothered by the train noise in the morning, however they were able to request a free noise canceling machine if they wanted it. All-in-all, it was a great and easy experience for me as meeting host. I would have a meeting here again in a heartbeat! Oh, plus the location is fabulous with plenty to do right around town. An airport/oceanfront shuttle would be a great addition to the services provided, though! :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank GhentJosh

Hi Josh,
I am so glad that your meeting went so well! We were glad to have your business and look forward to the next one.

I am also pleased to say that we have added windows that block out the light rail noise in all the affected rooms. It has been very successful and everyone has been 100% satisfied with the results!
Thank you!