“The best kept secret in Downtown Norfolk!”

Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Virginia
“The best kept secret in Downtown Norfolk!”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I recently stayed at this Downtown Norfolk hotel with my family, and it was the best hotel we've stayed at since coming to the Hampton Roads area. Typically we stay in Virginia Beach; however, we needed to be Downtown this trip, so we tried them out...what a pleasant surprise! The front desk staff was courteous, friendly, and knowledgeable; the restaurant staff was very attentive and the food was great! Our room was lovely, and cleaned impeccably each day. Upon check out, we even received an email from the General Manager making sure we'd enjoyed our stay and thanking us for our business! Very impressive and personal. This will definitely be our hotel of choice when returning to Norfolk.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
The secret is out!

Thank you for the wonderful review! I am really glad that you chose to stay in Downtown Norfolk this time. We are very glad that you found the room to be clean and the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable. I can’t wait to be of service again.

Tony Parrow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I used to stay here years ago - its since been newly renovated with a great new lobby! Excellent restaraunts (Granby Street) and mall all within walking distance. Very friendly staff...I'll be back!

Hey Mr. B!

We are excited to have you back at the Courtyard Norfolk Downtown. I am also a big fan of the local restaurants and the mall right next door. See you soon!

Gig Harbor, WA
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Courtyard is ruining their brand. Apparently they are doing a mass remodel. Ill advised. They are taking a comfortable home like hotel and turning it into some modern artsy contortionist dream. The furniture in the lobby and rooms are horrible. All angles, impossible to sit comfortably. I like the information centers and all, but the Bistro idea and the high chair bar community table seating is bad. We had to turn the TV off in our little alcove while eating.

Front desk looks like the worst part of your airport experience.

This hotel is noisy. Thought someone had set a 3AM alarm and then left their room, but no, it turned out there is a tone that could be heard on most floors in each of the rooms. One whole side of the hotel is over a delivery area and gets all the loading dock noise from 2AM on.

The air handlers in the hotel smoked me out of my room when the wind shifted and smoke from a nearby swamp fire blanketed the town. Filters and proper ventilation would have been good. A buddy at the Sheraton did not have this problem.

I am seriously starting to question my participation in the Marriots Rewards program. They seem to be spending money on the wrong things. Get the engineering right. Use real people and not kids with art and design degrees to help you choose your furniture.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. The new design may not be for everyone but is designed to meet the needs of most business travelers.

Courtyard’s fresh redefinitions of public spaces and new offerings in technology, food and beverage options that empower guests to make the most of their time on the road symbolize Courtyard’s ongoing evolution.

The typical Courtyard guest is the optimistic achiever. This traveler is Driven: focused on success; unfazed by business travel, Savvy: in touch with what they want, need and expect from a hotel, Balanced: keeps business and leisure in proper perspective, Positive Attitude: enjoyment is the reward for a job well done, In Good Company: 50% travel with colleagues, Practical and Responsible: seek upscale, stimulating hotels at a lower price and Experienced: unfazed by travel and its challenges.

The benefits include Designed for business travel, driven by comfort and value, Courtyard is the smart choice for smart business travelers seeking a great stay at a price that is lower than that of a full-service hotel. It’s where they can return to, unwind and feel rewarded for a job well done.

The typical guest experience Smart: designed for business travel with functional rooms and multi-use public areas, Techno-Savvy: adding to productivity through connectivity; free WiFi in lobbies, Comfortable: service and amenities rivaling full-service brands, but at a lower price, Energizing: stimulating public areas, intuitive design, unexpected details, The Right Mix: the service and amenities that help guests maintain balance and thrive, Flexible: a place to work out, drink, relax or just waste time on their own terms.

Your feedback is valued! Thank you for your business also.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Found this hotel on TA and absolutely loved it. Staff was super-friendly...from the parking valet to the front desk to maintenance to the Bistro Cafe. All were very helpful. We had two separate minor maintenance issues and someone was in the room within 5 minutes to fix them. Food was very tasty in the Bistro Cafe and though we did not use it I appreciated the in-hotel "convenience store" as well for small items. We were in town for my father's surprise 75th birthday in his hometown of Norfolk and the staff was great in terms of helping us to find a place to buy a cake at the last minute. For years my Dad had been staying at the Sheraton at Waterside but no more (fyi, this hotel is 1.5 blocks from Waterside). He loved it at the Courtyard and I'm sure that he will stay again on his future Norfolk visits. (Only minor quibble...wish the bath towels had been a bit softer). Overall, HIGHLY recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: Stay on the City Hall Ave. side of the hotel to avoid the bell ringing of the new light rail trains.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I needed a venue to have my party, not just a venue but a location that would assist me from beginning to end because I've never planned a party other than my kids birthday parties and they are now adults. The director of sales was personable, detailed and honest. In addition to my party my husband and I stay 2 nights.
I recommend The Courtyard Norfolk Downtown...Highly! Check it out for yourself :-)

Party Planner...

New York
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My daughter was accepted at the Eastern Virginia Medical School sending our family to Norfolk, VA. Being a longtime Marriott Rewards Member, I naturally found a Marriott property for our weeklong stay. This was our second time staying at the Norfolk Courtyard.

Last August I had the privilege of being welcomed by Janki Patel, the Courtyard's Guest Care Manager. She immediately told me about the partnership the Courtyard has with the medical school. In addition to Ms. Patel, all the staff we encountered provided excellent friendly service along with information about restaurants and recommendations to accommodate our shopping needs.

Marriott was offering free breakfast with their summer get away package. I booked my reservation with Janki and she honored this special for me. A wonderful complimentary breakfast was provided each morning at the Bistro Cafe. The staff at the Bistro was also exceptional remembering how I liked my coffee each morning. As a family from New York we loved the "Southern Hospitality" where everyone went out of their way to be friendly and helpful.

What else did we love? The location close to the medical school and the 15 minute car drive to the Virginia Beach area as well as the no problem attitude of the staff.
We requested a late check out- no problem
We requested a room change- no problem
We requested extra towels- no problem
We requested restaurant reservations- no problem
We loved hearing, "no Problem." See you next year! Denise and family

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Hello,

We are so glad that you choose us when you visit the Eastern Virginia Medical School. Next time you’ll be able to jump on the light rail and leave your car at the hotel! Thank you so much for the kind review. Janki is a gem and we are lucky to have her! I am also from New York and wouldn’t trade the southern hospitality for anything. We can’t wait until your next visit!

imperial, pa
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The staff at this facility are the best I have met in my 39 years traveling. Very professional and very friendly. They go out of their way to assist the customer.

Hello!

Thank you for the very nice review. I’m really glad that we are the best you have met in 39 years of traveling!

We hope to be able to serve your needs again soon!