“Hang on to your sheets!!”

Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I stayed at this hotel while on business. Although the room was clean, when I arrived, there were no hand towels or wash clothes, no kleenex and the toilet paper was nearly all gone. We had elected to not have room service and I let the front desk know of this as part of their 'green incentive'. However, on Tuesday morning when I went back to my room to retrieve something, there was a housekeeper stripping the beds. I told her we wanted to be environmentally responsible and didn't need to have bedding changed. I had to leave to get to my meeting. When I returned, the beds had been stripped, there we no sheets and one of the comforters had been taken!!!! I called down and got the sheets and comforter replaced and then had to make my own bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT what I would expect from a Marriott. The location of this hotel is great yet it is a bit run down. Just not up to what I would consider Marriott quality.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
TonyParrow, Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I sincerely apologize for the problem you had with housekeeping. I am glad that you communicated with me offline and that we were able to take care of you. We have held a meeting with the team and used your detailed feedback to continue our corporate vision; “The constant pursuit to be better”. It went very well and I am confident that with the help you provided, we will not have those issues again. The green rewards program is going much better since your stay and I look forward to serving your needs again in the future.

Tony Parrow

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Norfolk Downtown

Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Courtyard Norfolk downtown while attending a friend's wedding weekend. We truly enjoyed our hotel room...it was quiet, comfortable, and spacious. The staff was nice and friendly. We will definitely book our next stay with this hotel due to our positive experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
orfdt, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2011

We thank you for your recent review of Courtyard by Marriott in Downtown Norfolk. We are glad you enjoyed the hospitality of our staff and comfort of our guest rooms that you experienced during your stay.

On behalf of the staff at the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Norfolk, we look forward to your return visit. During your next stay with us, please take advantage of our Bistro: where you can eat, drink, connect and have a refreshing stay.

Reviewed June 9, 2010

We stayed here for a wedding over the weekend. The rooms were clean and spacious. The beds were comfortable. The hotel lobby was under renovation, but we knew that before booking the hotel. Unfortunately, the hotel only has valet parking. In theory, valet parking is more convenient than self-parking, but not here. On numerous occasions we waited 15-20 minutes for someone to get our car. When we notified the front desk that no one was at the valet stand, they just shrugged and said to wait outside until the valet appeared. In 20 degree weather plus heavy winds, you don't want to be waiting outside for someone to get your car. If they can't make the valet system work efficiently, then they should open up the parking area for self-parking.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
orfdt, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2010

Thank you for your feedback about your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Norfolk. The hotel staff has addressed these problems by ensuring our staffing level corresponds with our occupancy demand. We have also added additional staffing during our peak check in and check out times. I do apologize for the inconvenience it has caused you.

We hope you will return to the Courtyard by Marriott on your next visit to Downtown Norfolk. You may contact me by calling 757-963-6000 or e-mailing lmarcelo-glenn@ltdmanagement.com

Reviewed May 27, 2010

We stayed here as part of a Rewards Redemption and really like the Courtyard Downtown as it offered a nice mixture of convenience and value that we look for when booking our stays.

It is centrally located in Downtown Norfolk on Plume Street and is directly adjacent to the Douglas MacArthur Memorial. The MacArthur Center Mall is also across the street and has a fine mxiture of shops (Dillards, Nordstroms) and eateries (Chili's, Max and Ermas) along with movie theatre.

The riverfront is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel and there are quite a few bars and pubs close by that will provide guests with something to do in the evening.

We felt safe, our room was big and staff were accessible and visible. The pool area was also a lot bigger than my experience at most Courtyards and has a terrace with a nice view of the Norfolk skyline.

All Marriott Rewards Members should be advised that this is a nice place to redeem points as you can stay for 5 nights for as little as 40,000. This was our first trip to Norfolk and we would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank tpapi

We thank you for your recent review of Courtyard by Marriott in Downtown Norfolk. We are glad you enjoyed the warm service and refreshing amenities our staff & hotel has to offer during your stay.

On behalf of the staff at the Courtyard by Marriott in Downtown Norfolk, we look forward to your return visit. During your next stay with us, please take advantage of our new Bistro where you can eat, drink, and connect. You can also enjoy a cup of Starbucks specialty coffee on us.

Reviewed April 13, 2010

In all of my years of sailing the seven seas, I have never encountered a hotel staff that was too "HIGH" to check me. Yet on a unusually cold Friday night last month it took almost an hour to get checked in because the staff would start to check me then forget what they were doing, come up to me or the other people waiting and ask why they were standing there. It was the craziest thing. Then to top it off the room was next to room under construction. So first thing Saturday morning, Bang, Bang, Bang.

Never again Courtyard Marriot Norfolk.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank JGtrav
sidney10, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2010

The hotel management and staff has addressed these problems by implementing appropriate disciplinary action and reiterating the importance of great customer service.

Reviewed March 1, 2010

I was on a business trip to Norfolk, the first of what will likely be many trips there over the next few years. I chose the Courtyard Marriott because of Priority Club membership. The hotel was difficult to find with all of the construction taking place in downtown Norfolk. I finally found it after walking four blocks (in the rain) from the OTHER Marriott. The only parking available is valet parking at $18 per night. The cost isn't the issue for me as much as just wanting to come and go as I please without someone else driving my car and having to hand out tips.

Anyway, I finally got into the Courtyard Marriott only to discover that the hotel itself is in the midst of renovation. I had to ask the gentleman standing at the tiny desk where to check in. He was the guy. Their website indicated a lounge and restaurant on the premises. Not during my stay. When I asked where I could get dinner after working and traveling all day I was told I could walk across the street (in the rain) to the mall.

The room was fine, though nothing spectacular. Simple things like bath mats were missing. Normally there is some material in a room about the city and local attractions but not here. The free high speed internet looked from the service to be free for 24 hours. The elevator bells can be heard as they travel to every floor. Breakfast in the morning? Cold bagels or muffins and coffee on a table set up in the lobby.

I checked out after one night and made reservations to stay at the Sheraton for the rest of my trip, and will likely do so on my future trips to Norfolk. HUGE improvement! The Sheraton was the same cost with a waterside view and a complimentary hot breakfast buffet. Nice restaurant and lounge and the beds were amazingly comfortable.

The Courtyard Marriott may be okay when all of the construction is completed, and I understand the need to do the work during the off-season, but I won't risk getting burned twice.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
sfishbein, Sales Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2010

I'm so sorry you weren't made aware of the renovation in our hotel when you made your booking-we've tried to put alerts on all of our booking channels, both for our own interior renovation, as well as the detours from the Street construction for the new Light rail, which runs right past our hotel.

The good news is our interior renovation is complete, and guests can relax and enjoy our new lobby and restaurant!

We're still a little challenged by the road construction outside. We have added more directional signage to help our guests find our hotel!
Once the road construction is complete, we'll also be able to offer an optional off-site parking-there is a city garage about a block away for those that prefer to self park.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

This hotel had what we were looking for. The price was great, the location was close to Waterside and Granby Street restaurants, and the room was immaculate, especially the bathroom, which looked as if it had been recently remodeled. There were some renovations being done on the second floor ballroom, but we could not hear any noise in our room down the hall. The free breakfast was just ok and the valet service was a bit slow in the evening, but we were very happy overall with the hotel. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
sfishbein, sales Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2010

Thanks for your great feedback--am so glad you enjoyed your stay!