“No-frills seafood place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children
Herndon, Virginia
“No-frills seafood place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Staying in a Newtown Road hotel, I didn't have time to go all the way to Norfolk or the beach for seafood. Even for a quick dinner, I was pretty sure I could find a decent non-chain choice without driving far. With those criteria, the Web reviews led me to Surf Rider West.

If you're looking for ambience, upscale dining, or pampering from the staff, go somewhere else. But if you're in the mood for simple, good seafood and efficient service, you might want to give Surf Rider West a try. Prices were a tad high-- $5.15 for a CUP of Hatteras clam chowder, for example (but it was good). The "crab cake" was actually a ceramic dish of crab (spread out and served in a dish to keep it hot longer, the server explained), which was fine with me; I wasn't feeling a need for a patty shape. It was mostly crab meat, without much binder (little extra to mask the crab flavor; so much the better). Not much added seasoning, which, again, was fine with me, but some might prefer more built-in zip, without resorting to the butter, tartar sauce or cocktail sauce containers alongside. The side dishes were undistinguished-- a good-sized but very simple salad (lettuce, croutons, grape tomatoes), and corn almost certainly from a can. (I also asked about the collard greens and the server acknowledged that they are nothing special.) A couple of small-ish hushpuppies also adorned the plate.

I can't comment on other offerings on the menu, but there was a variety of fresh fish, clams and oysters on the specials board to supplement the fixed menu.

Bottom line: this place definitely is nothing fancy outwardly (though it generally seemed well kept for its age), and there may be better choices if you want to look a little farther, but I would gladly go back for the seafood when I'm nearby. For my needs and taste on this particular night, I was glad I picked Surf Rider West over the big national chain restaurant next door.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank MJGfromVa

Rocky Mount, North Carolina
“Ups & Downs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Shrimp gumbo was AMAZING, but service was only okay - server couldn't get our checks quite right (party of 4, 3 different checks). Would go back for a good meal, but ask for a different waitress.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank mrawww
Mableton, Georgia
“Best Crab Cakes ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

The services and food was great. They served the best and largest crab cakes ever. The cakes were fresh and flaky. Nice seating area. Not as crowded as expected. Heard great things concerning the restaurant from my clients and the hotel staff. The hotel staff stated that it was the best seafood in the area. I have to concur based on the sample size.

• Visited September 2013
new jersey
“Over priced and underwelmed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went to this place based on the recommendation of our hotel representative and regretted it. Walking in, I found the place to be in need of updating - it looked worn and didn't give a good first impression. The menu is small and does offer something like fried chicken or burger for those that don't like seafood. I selected the scallops which at 19.99 - thought it was a bit high. No salads with your meal unless you selected it as one of your sides - no rolls. Drinks are limited to a few sodas and tea. A bar is available as well. My meal came and although I found the scallops to be ok -baked potato fine - but I thought the corn was awful - tasted like field corn.

• Visited August 2013
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Delicious, abundant seafood at a reasonable price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stopped July 12th by while staying for the Jimmy Buffett concert. The place does not look special from the outside, but inside the place is comfortable and cozy. If you love seafood that is delicious and reasonably priced, this is the place! The service was timely and the steam combo platter was amazing! If you are in the area, you need to stop by!

• Visited July 2013