“A good place for fried seafood”
Review of Surf Rider West

Surf Rider West
Ranked #164 of 738 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We visited 2 Surf Rider locations recently. Perhaps because this one was less crowded, with easier parking and closer to where we were staying, we actually preferred this one, despite the lack of any beach scenery.

I could go on about how good the fried oysters were, but instead let me mention the broccoli. Yes, I said broccoli. They gave me 2 large heads of broccoli, with a cup of this homemade gooey hollandaise sauce concoction on the side. It was like a buttery lemony ambrosia, I not only dipped my broccoli in it, but my oysters as well. The cocktail sauce was good as well, it had a good bite to it and had no hint of any cloying sweetness to it.

All in all, next time I want fried seafood and I am in the area, I know where I am heading. It may not have the ambiance of the other locations, but the seafood is just as good.

1  Thank VASkeptic

Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Eat there last night.
Fried tilapia is great, not the crab soup,ash potatoes nor the hush puppies.

Sever was sweet and attentive, the others seem to help out and team up for quick service.

Paid 25$ for the meal, not really a great deal, but just ok.

Fried fish batter is tasty.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

All the focus here is on good food, great tasting seafood. The decor is somewhat meager and the location is relatively convenient, did find the bench seat a bit uncomfortable. But the sea food is fantastic! Great portion size and selection. And if you order the side brocolli you better be ready to share as it is almost a meal itself! Went with my wife who doesn't eat seafood at all and she was able to get a great burger instead. If you're looking for a great seafood feast and don't want to have to dust off the tuxedo this is your place.

1  Thank GregorSue
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Good food, service could be a little better, but food is great.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We ordered the hush puppies for a starter. Excellent! The hot crab dip with pita rounds were fantastic. We didn't realize that our crab cakes also came with hush puppies. Way too much food. Thank goodness we only ordered one crab cake each. A must stop to eat place!

1  Thank TheLoons