“don't go!”

The Jewish Mother Backstage
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and two teenage boys went to dinner and left hungry. Not that there was not a lot of food - we had leftover. Leftovers no one would eat. When I tried to serve it, my kids said " It was not good at the restaurant, so why would it be good the next day?" I had to agree.
The potatoes in the potato salad were very undercooked. Come on - couldn't you get that right? The prime rib was so disgusting we had to put a napkin over it to continue our meal. The potatoes with gravy and broccoli would have been ok, had it been warm. My son had a roast beef sandwich he wanted on bread. It came toasted with meat that seemed near rancid.
Our waiter was clueless - when asked if the flounder was fresh- he just responded I don't know, I guess. I asked him to check, but he did not bother. Don't be in a hurry - they seem to seat everyone in one section at the same time so the waiter is overwhelmed.
Bottom line, save your many and stay away.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The original Jewish Mother at the ocean front used to be one of our favorite spots for a casual meal but the meat on the over-priced sand which tasted rancid and the bread was dry and crumbly. The dessert selection was almost non-existent.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

This place a good food.
The only thing I did not like is that the place is run down and needs a face lift.
The price was good and the food is hot.
I had the chicken tenders for starters and main entrée was the crab cakes.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Had lunch at this place (thought it was in VA beach but maybe it was Norfolk). Servings are enormous and the burger and fries we had were very good. This is also a venue for live music. When we were there, staff was checking/working on the sound system...which the server forewarned us about and also apologized for the noisy "check-check 1-2-1-2" and the beating of the drums as we were eating. I was so hungry that I didn't really care but it definitely would not have been the environment at that time to take a date or if it was a "lets have a talk over lunch" type of thing. I haven't been back since due to traveling away from the area but would check it out again for a night venue to get the live music (when in the mood for the noisiness).

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Jewish Mother has long been a favorite of ours for top-notch deli food and fantastic, if little-known, entertainers. We went to their Norfolk location last Friday night for dinner and the show; the "Pita the Great" brisket offering was incredibly satisfying, as was the pastrami-on-rye. Our waitress (Ashley?) was the perfect mix of sassy and personable, and we couldn't have been more pleased with that portion of our evening. However, when we moved into the bar area to see Longfellow Street, and then a series of artists from Soul Haven Studios, we were less than thrilled with the service received from the red-haired, female bartender. Although the bands were great, the bar wasn't crowded. We watched as the clearly unhappy woman moved from patron to patron, glaring as she filled drink orders and acting very unprofessionally. When she filled our drink order, she literally didn't say a word--not even a thank you--and slammed the change on the bar without looking at us. Worse, she made a mistake on one of our drinks and when we returned to the bar to have it corrected, her dirty look was all we needed to cut our evening short. Her male counterpart remade the drink (no apology there, either), and we felt so unwelcome that we finished the round and left. I am honestly not sure that we'll ever return to the Norfolk location ... but I will definitely keep an eye out for Longfellow Street and the Soul Haven crew at other venues.