“Friendly, helpful and very accommodating” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Suites at Lake Wright

Quality Suites at Lake Wright
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
“Friendly, helpful and very accommodating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We recently stayed at both the Quality Suites and Sleep with with a large (42) tour group for several nights. Both hotels were a very good value and the service was excellent. The rooms were fine, except for the noisy air conditioners. Breakfast was more than adequate and when the breakfast area was crowded, they opened one of the banquet rooms for the overflow. We had two group dinners, both of which were very good, with excellent service. We especially appreciated the great assistance provided by the Sales Manager, Sara Newman, who helped up plan our events from the very beginning. If you need a place to have a meeting or group stay - you can't do much better than here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Randy C, General Manager at Quality Suites at Lake Wright, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that your group choose us, we know there are many properties to choose from. We hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Grimsby, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

The hotel itself is a little tired looking and could do with some sprucing up in the public areas and the rooms. However, the staff members were all accommodating and pleasant to deal with. The room was large with a comfortable bed. The breakfast buffet was plentiful with a variety of hot and cold choices.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank happytravellor4
Randy C, General Manager at Quality Suites at Lake Wright, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank for your comments we are glad you stayed with us. We always appreciate our guests comments for good or bad. We hope our staff makes the difference for you.
Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband is in the navy and our house had to shut our water off for 24 hours so the navy put us in this hotel for 2 nights. The outside of the hotel is ok nothing fancy. The inside is where it's very disappointing. The first room they put us in was outdated and the carpets were gross. Also went to turn on the heat and noticed that there were ants all over the walls. My husband immediately went and complained and the guy at the front desk was happy to move us into another room on another floor. Well this room wasn't much better. Wallpaper was peeling up, there was a ton of dust everywhere including on the hand towel rings. The breakfast was good everyone was friendly and helpful. After breakfast we took our daughter swimming and the pool was not clean. I checked the board where they write when they checked the chlorine and all that and it hadn't been done in a week. My husband wore goggles under water and he said he couldn't see anything under water even our daughter who was right in front of him. It honestly felt like no one ever came in the pool room to clean it. There was lettuce smeared all over the floor.
Luckily our house was finished early because we only stayed the one night. Even my daughter was dying to go home and she loves staying at hotels.
I would not recommend this place anyone.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Navywife3
We are sorry you found us not to your liking. Sometimes it just can not be perfect even thought we try we sometimes fail. Hopefully you got back in your house without a problem.

Travelers are raving about these Norfolk hotels

Morganfield, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My son is stationed at Norfolk, and every time we visit we stay here. The service and accommodations are always top notch. It is convenient to the interstate and to various places of interest. This time, we had trouble entering the property due to road construction, but this problem will be gone when the road department finishes. Great food, and my granddaughters love the pool. I can't understand any reviews regarding this place. The worst that has ever happened to us was finding a sweater hanging in the closet when we checked in.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill B
Randy C, General Manager at Quality Suites at Lake Wright, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for your comments and most importantly thank you for your continued support and patronage. Experiences like yours are what we strive for. We are glad we succeeded. We look forward to seeing you again.
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We used this hotel as "home base" for sightseeing in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, & surrounding area--very busy with lot of traffic plus local coastal flooding but used GPS to get around town, lot to see especially @ waterfront, nice drive over to Lighthouse in Virginia Beach area. Hotel pet friendly but had to walk through large lobby every time our dog needed to go out, didn't find a side door on first floor as many pet friendly hotels have, hard to find hotel first time d/t detour through parking lot for all 3 days we stayed there. Hotel clean, had king-size bed, no smoking, best part was the hotel restaurant--very good meals & service even later evening & breakfast buffet the best! Young children running & shrieking through hall for awhile one night--wish parents were more responsible in these situations. Our dog was quiet, seemed comfortable, staff friendly, beautiful courtyard but that area was not pet friendly. We had good time despite the heavy traffic & lot of driving to get to local points of interest.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Randy C, General Manager at Quality Suites at Lake Wright, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thanks for staying with us and thank you for your comments. We strive to provide a quality experience for our guest and are pleased we made your visit was successful. The entry to the hotel is a little difficult now because of road construction but that will clear up soon. We thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon.
Harrison, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I was very hesitant regarding my upcoming stay at this hotel after reading some of the very negative reviews. This place was absolutely wonderful!! The staff was great...especially Natasha at the front desk along with many of the housekeeping personel, from whom I didn't get names. It is NOT a new property. It does need a little updating. But as far as cleanliness, safety, comfort, food and all other aspects...it is an absolute gem! The beds are great, breakfast is amazing-- the rooms have seperate living areas, 2 tvs, mico and fridge. The pool is perfect for kids..shallow on both ends. (not heated) I was there for 8 nights and hated to leave. Book early and get a great deal. Perfect for any sensible adult. Great for families on a budget. Women traveling alone will feel safe---I know because I did.

Room Tip: They do have some smoking rooms, which is harder and harder to find.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Randy C, General Manager at Quality Suites at Lake Wright, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thanks so much for your comments. This is what we work towards and we are glad to see that you noticed. We don't always meet our guests expectations but we try. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and shared your thoughts. Hope to see you again.
Herndon, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times now as my son is a student at Virginia Wesleyan College just down the street from this convenient hotel. While I have not written a TripAdvisor review each time I stay, I have have written before.

In my opinion, my hotel room has been very clean each visit. This visit, however, I must comment on more than a few maintenance issues (and a couple of housekeeping ones) that needed tending to. One can hope but not expect any hotel to be 100% perfect in every aspect and these TripAdvisor reviews are written by people who, while hopefully writing accurate postings, the personal viewpoint of the writer does undoubtedly play in the review.

Items needing tending to in our second floor room area:
*Food vending machine on the 2nd floor did not want to take money at all; two $1 bills inserted; it asked for 'exact change'; pushed button for money return; it returned 8 quarters; inserted $1.25 in quarters; asked for exact change. WHAT??? Left without the chocolate I was craving and too tired to go down to the lobby to the well-stocked gift shop. I noticed the machine was stocked very well, leading me to believe no one else probably got anything from the machine before either.
*2 of 3 phones were not working in the room and phone in bathroom was hanging off the wall upon arrival; husband re-attached phone
*Closet door missing (I know there should be a closet door from previous visits)
*Bathroom fan ran extremely noisy for a couple of minutes each time it was turned on; quieted down after a few minutes but sounded very 'scarey'
*Stain on mini bed covering placed near foot of bed
*Sink faucet dripped and would not turn off
*Wallpaper by bathtub was peeling quite a bit
* Bedside clock was not set correctly
*DO NOT DISTURB sign was placed on the outside door when we went out to dinner; upon return 'someone' had put one clean washcloth on the door handle. Why? Did someone go into our room? Made me nervous.
*Only were given one bar of soap; all previous visits we were given 2 bars of soap so we had to take the sink soap to the shower (sink is located outside of the toilet/shower area within the room)
*Some signs of aging within the room: peeling veneer on furniture and the chair leg in the bedroom area was pretty wobbly.

A couple of the above comments are housekeeping issues, but most were maintenance issues. I do believe that probably the room is not checked by maintenance regularly. None of the above mentioned items were bothersome enough to us to request a new room. I did report about 6 of the above items in writing, including the room number, to the staff upon checkout. I waited to see if the staff would ask, 'How was everything?', and that was not done; it was then that I gave the clerk the list and she said she would pass it on to maintenance; I hope that was done!!!! I also believe that it would be helpful to any hotel that if a guest notices a problem, and it is not a major issue that would affect your stay, it would be kind to report it to the front desk so they can address the issue.

Other comments regarding this visit, totally 'my opinion' comments:
*The A/C system in the rooms are noisy, making it difficult for me to sleep when it kicks on.
*Bed was OK, but not super comfortable and pillows were a bit lumpy for me on this visit.

The complementary breakfast is very nice! There are many items available to choose from, both hot and cold. Make-your-own waffles available each visit and then a rotation of hot items that typically include bacon, sausage, eggs, grits, pancakes; bagels, pastry, apples, bananas, two cereals (Raisin Bran and Froot Loops I think they were), various milk cartons, coffees, apple juice, orange juice, etc. The staff working the breakfast area is awesome and is very good at keeping up with the demand. The lines, however, can be long and often the seating is slim. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to wait on the long line again to get seconds or if I could just 'cut in' to pick up another little something.

I have not used the pool, workout room or business center on any visit so I cannot comment on them. Know that they do serve dinner in the 'breakfast area'; I did eat there once for dinner and it was pretty nice! They need to advertise better that dinner is available, as if you are a tired traveler, it would be nice to know. Know, too, that while this hotel is pretty close to I64 and Northhampton Blvd, I never, ever have noticed traffic noise issues. Know, too, that there is not any stores or restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel, but are readily, readily available a short drive away.

Room Tip: The 'suite' rooms include a fridge and I don't think the regular rooms do. The freezer...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Randy C, General Manager at Quality Suites at Lake Wright, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments and for staying with us once again. Many of the issues you pointed out could have and should have been found before your arrival, I am sorry we did not do that, That being said most of those issues could have been fixed almost immediately and we would have gladly done so had we been given the opportunity. Again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and as usual we learn from you how to do our job better.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport
Comfort Suites Beachfront
Comfort Suites Beachfront
#9 of 111 in Virginia Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 269 reviews

Been to Quality Suites at Lake Wright? Share your experiences!