“Nice room-great crab cakes!”

Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed July 4, 2007

We stayed here for one night a few weeks ago. I joined the Priority Club before I booked the hotel and was rewarded with a suite-2 rooms and a kitchenette- rather than the standard king room.

Check in was pleasant, shuttle driver (we got to know them as our baggage was delayed and we had to go to the airport a couple of times) extremely helpful, and the crab cakes we had at the bar were I think the best I've ever had! Big chunks of crab and not too much filler.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TerBear

Reviewed June 12, 2007

This hotel had its pluses and its minuses.
When we arrived (at noon) we went to check if any rooms were available and we were told there were no rooms available until 3 PM. This is the standard check in time but usually there are some rooms available. So that was annoying but understandable. They did hold our suitcases in the bellman's closet which was a plus.
When we came back that night, I went to check in and I had been upgraded to a jacuzzi suite (I had asked for that when booking my standard room at $125 a night) so that was great. The woman at the front desk was very nice. We got our bags from the bellman's closet and went to our room.
The room was very large, had a mini fridge, a microwave, a jacuzzi tub in the room and a separate shower in the bathroom. I was very pleased with the room.
Unfortunately, if you are disturbed by loud noises, the planes were quite low and loud overhead. I am not sure if the many other hotels in the same area (basically the same mile) would be any quieter but I wore ear plugs to sleep.
I also had to wear ear plugs as we could hear the people in the room next to us. They were very loud and were in the hallway a lot. I believe they had the door to the room open. You could often hear people that were loud in the halls.
Housekeeping left a LOT to be desired. When we arrived in our room, there was the old opened/used soap left by the previous guests in the shower. There was some hair in the shower on the wall. The next day when we got back to our room, they had cleaned well (even our sand from the beach) but had left NO towels which is pretty much the most important part and no, there had been no clean towels left over the night before. I have never had a housekeeping service come to clean and not leave ANY towels (bath towel, washcloth, floor mat, hand towel or otherwise). We called and asked for 4 clean towels and we received 2 bath towels (but they were warm and included a hand towel and wash cloth). It took about 20 minutes to receive the new towels.
On the other hand, when we didn't have our toothbrush, we called and they brought us one pretty promptly.
The bathroom products were very nice. Bath and Body Works soaps and shampoos and conditioners. As high of class that you would get at any Marriott or Hilton.
We did not swim in the pool but I put my hand in and it was heated.
They did not lock the entrance doors at night (you need the key card to open) presumably because they had an event going on downstairs in the conference rooms every night.
Overall, it was fine for an airport hotel and the jacuzzi and the upgrade for it was great.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2007

Hotel was recommended by friends living in the Norfolk area. Room was well kept and clean, but a bit worn around the edges; mildew on the shower ceiling and mold around the edges of the tub. Other than that, the bathroom was first rate. Remainder of the room was nicely furnished and comfortable. The AC unit was a bit finicky; I set the room temp for 60 degrees (the lowest setting), and the room was at best only cool. If you don't intent to get up early, you might consider an alternate hotel; the jet noise from the airport had me awake at 6am both days we stayed there. Our $160 rate included $20 in vouchers for breakfast. First breakfast was a major disappointment; very limited offerings at the buffet and not prepared very well. Table was greasy. Next day's breakfast was superb; still limited offerings, but all was fresh and in abundance. We came in late both nights we stayed there, and on the second night, after carrying the luggage to the second floor I found neither of our key cards worked; back down to the lobby to inquire. If I'm in the area again, I'll look elsewhere first.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2007

Understandably, traffic jams is a problem that is NOT the hotel's fault. From Richmond to Norfolk is normally a 1 1/2 hour trip. It took us 3 hours to get there. Also understandably, I was in a "mood" when I got there. I knew once I got into the pool and relaxed and played with my son I'd feel better. We winded up leaving the hotel within an hour of arrival! I was on the internet for a WEEK, searching for a hotel with an indoor heated pool that was located near Nauticus. I even called the day of arrival to check on whether the pool was located in a place where you had to go outdoors to get to it (didn't want to be wet outside with the weather conditions that day being so windy) and they told me no, you can get to it from inside the hotel. So great, right? We got there and immediately went to the pool. The water was COLD. I tried using the house phone located inside but it didn't work. My husband went to check on the condition and the hotel staff told him they'd get maintenance and find out. We knew the spa was closed but my 11 year old was looking forward to getting in some water. We didn't need bubbles and the water in there was considerably warmer. The 3 of us got in and just sat. Then a lady and her daughter came in and told us she was told it's being heated now and wouldn't take long...they didn't say HOW long. Her and her daughter tested it and left. Then some guy from the staff came in and said loudly, "the spa is closed sir!". It was the only WARM spot! We got out and tested the pool again. The guy said he'd get maintenance. It was still cold. A lady came in with her kids and they must've wanted to swim BAD. The mom stayed on her cell phone so the kids just jumped right in...shivering and swimming. I became so angry because this pool was the ONLY reason I booked the hotel. We decided to see if we could find other accommodations. I left the pool area and was on my way up to the room when I saw that same guy. I asked him if he had any word on the pool and he just said, "you mean nobody has come by yet? I don't know ma'am." He did NOT seem even interested in it. He seemed more interested in some event that was going on in the ballroom or whatever room that was. We spent an HOUR at the pool waiting for SOMEBODY to do SOMETHING. That was the last straw! My husband got our money back. We left and drove straight to Great Wolf. The extra $50 bucks was worth it to see the smile on my child's face. I called earlier that day and the representative should have TOLD me something was going on with the pool. My question was specifically geared toward the pool! Maybe she had no idea what's going on right at her own hotel! My advice...if you're booking for specific reasons, ask ALL KINDS OF QUESTIONS, because obviously no one at THIS hotel knows what's going on right around the corner or either they don't care. Neither is a GOOD thing.
Mr. and Mrs. Mark Whitehead

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank saponi
Reviewed April 2, 2007

The location is really close to the airport and is situated right between the Hilton and the Marriott. There's really not much to do in the area within walking distance. I'd either prefer to stay downtown Norfolk or at Virginia Beach (except if it's off season). But hey, you know that when you book it. At least there's a big free parking lot which you don't always have downtown or in VA Beach.

Check in and the front desk was as expected, no complaints. The lobby is very spacious and on the ground floor there's also bar and a restaurant (Which close quite early so I didn't had the chance to try that out). I never tried any of the other services or the pool & fitness facilities but they looked OK to me which is confirmed by the reviews here.

The rooms themselves had about the right size with a great big bed, a desk, a sitting corner, a big television, a good bathroom and a small fridge & microwave. Free internet in the rooms which is another plus. The only remark I have, is that you could here an airplane from time to time (but it was not as if you would stand next to the runway). The rooms were always very clean. Absolutely no complaints about that.

Overall, the hotel is quite nice and is actually better than the average Holiday Inn that I've stayed in so far. The price is about right.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2007

I often have to travel to Norfolk on business. After staying at many of the other hotels in the area, I found this one which is much better than the rest in my opinion, and not like an average Holiday Inn. I've stayed there 4 times now, and the last time, when I came back a week following the previous week (after going home for the weekend), they upgraded me to a suite with a jacuzzi on the 4th floor. As other reviewers noted, the lobby is very nice indeed, and the rooms are very clean. What is more, it is very quiet which I appreciate after finding other hotels in the area not so quiet. My only complaint is there is not too many elevators and they seem to be slow, but that is a minor problem. I have not used the pool but it looks very nice, and the exercise room is very nice. All in all, it is a very nice hotel and much better than the other hotels right near it on Military Highway.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2006

This is a great Hotel....Actually the reason I stayed was because I booked a room at the Marriott Residence Inn but when arrived they said they where booked even though did reservation on the net..So they comped me by letting me stay for the same rate at the Holiday Inn Select which is across the street...It was a great place to stay nice staff pool and fitness area where open 24hrs which i dont know if that is still so......I also had a complimentary Van transportation to Airport which is about a mile from the airport...

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled solo