“They will Tow Your Car!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Public House

The Public House
Ranked #54 of 700 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Traveller877
“They will Tow Your Car!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Went for a quick dinner and was very disappointed. Food has been good in the past but was terrible this go-around. Service was very slow. Though there were only a few tables the waitress explained her tables were spread out so she was running around trying to keep up.
Dinner finally came, a salad soaked in dressing and the pork chops we ordered "medium" came out like rocks and were inedible. The waitress was nice enough to take them off the menu. It was the right thing to do and it justified we would be giving it another try because they did address the issue.
We walked out the door just in time to see our car being towed. I ran down the truck as it was pulling out of the parking lot and showed him our dinner receipt. The tow truck driver said the manager in Public House called to have our vehicle towed and that it had been parked there all day. I went inside to ask the bartender if I could speak to the manager and he said he was the manager. He did nothing to rectify the situation and did not even apologize for the hassle. Don't you think they could have checked with their patrons first before assuming someone was stealing one of their parking spots at 9:30pm? Very, very bad business.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Traveller877

Columbia, Missouri
“Trendy location, good crowd”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Originally went to Public House for a trivia night. Got a bad impression at first from staff when they said we needed a reservation for trivia, which seems against the norm. Were able to play anyways and had some appetizers. The menu is unique, fresh and local, but for that the price is higher. I haven't had brunch here, but heard it's good. Wide selection of beer.

Visited January 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
“My brother's local hang out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner and drinks while visiting my brother. Great gastropub. Creative southern food. I had the waffle batter chicken with blueberry syrup. Like eating breakfast and dinner. Yum. The wine list was decent...I had the cab on tap and it was great. Beer list was even more impressive. Definitely worth the trip.

• Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Ask for ice in your beer, double check your bill...hey, at least the food is good.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Visited this establishment on a recent Sunday in February. Was meeting a bunch of friends who happened to be in town that morning for a couple of drinks and eats. First time in this well appointed space, definitely was what we wanted with an ample beer list and creative/tasty looking Sunday brunch selections. I will start with the food, everything we all ordered was great and living up to expectations, no complaints. The tap beer on the other hand was a down right pity. The beer was basically warm. First and foremost this is the type of joint one goes to drink, quality beer out of a tap that is cold. Everything else (food, ambiance, etc.) comes second. I mentioned it to the barkeep and she gave me some lame excuse about upgrading, yada yada. One would figure, a place in business like this one for a couple of years would have found a way to serve cold beer. Finally, when my bill came I noticed it was higher by about 4 beers, at this point I realized my friend who left early stuck me with his beer tab. Hahaha, upon seeing him a couple of days later and making light of the situation, I discovered that he paid cash before he left and they double charged me. Oh well I guess, should have made mention of it. Never again, no matter how good the sandwiches are.

• Visited February 2013
Norfolk, Virginia
“Pub grub”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a lively pub with big bar and a couple of dining areas, some rooms with pool tables, and caters to 20-40 crowd. Dismal lighting and place doesn't look open from the street. We had a martini for 10.50 ea and Shrimp with linguine and Fish and Chips. Food was pretty good, passable Pub Grub. Fish and chips could have been crisper and frech fries were not cooked all the way through. Waiter wasn't sure what kind of beer they had??
We were sitting in second dining room, lots of noise and people coming in and out. Not bad but not great either.

• Visited February 2013