“dinner with friends...” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Public House
Ranked #48 of 695 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
oahu
“dinner with friends...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I thought this place was pretty nice myself.

menu was different, and I got to have fries and asparagus to start...
Had the spicy chicken sandwich, which I thought was nice and the right amount of spicy and sauce.

had the local red beer on tap, which was light andexactly what I wanted.

the wait staff could have been more attentive, but I took this as more of a BAR vice a full service food place. so to me this was expected.

I'd go back, and my friends who are locals eat there at least once a week, so it can't be all bad.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Toledo, Ohio
“Down Hill?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

When I first started going to Public House a couple years ago, it was great. The atmosphere and food were new and exciting (at least to me) and their cocktails and beer list were amazing. Now, I am there once a week (Tuesday night trivia) and feel it is slipping. There seems to have been a mass turnover in wait staff and the new people aren't nearly as good. Bring back Julie! The “old guard” that remains are still great but I wish the learning curve for the others was not as long.

The food is still good (not great) and can be little inconsistent. Please remember this is a gastro pub and not fine dining. You’re going to have staff that know far more about the drinks than the food because people are there more for the liquids than the solids.

Also, if you’re not going for the trivia, avoid Tuesday nights. It is packed that night, especially when the med school is in session. If you like above-average-intelligence trivia, go on Tuesdays. The content is great and Shon is the best host in Hampton Roads.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chesapeake
“Food dry/under cooked”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Four of us went on Saturday at 6pm, sat in dining area. Area was very noisy, could not talk across the table easily. Ordered 1 blue collar mac & cheese with chicken strips, 2 roasted pork tenderloin and 1 fish & chips. Did not have corn on cob for pork tenderloin so had to substitute veg. Took 40 mins to get food. Mac & cheese came with chicken strips inside it, both were dry. Roasted pork tenderloin was supposed to be medium as waitress said if done more would be dry, instead was not done, 1 order was sent back to be cooked more, when returned it was still not done, could not be eaten. Other order was mostly eaten and then saw last pork tenderloin medallion was not done. Fish & chips was said to be good. Spoke with restaurant manager re danger of under cooked pork. She said she rarely had anything sent back, but would talk to cook. Showed her under cooked pork that could not be eaten. Dry mac & cheese/chicken was also mentioned. She then comped the entire table.

• Visited November 2012
MD
“Nice nuggett”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We went here on a whim and we thought the place was pretty good. They had a decent selection of Irish whiskey and some tasty beer selections. The pub burger was outstanding. It was very low key but the service was good as well.

• Visited August 2012
Norfolk
“I Give 3 Stars......only cause the Food is good.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I live in the town of Ghent and remember when this used to be Magnolia's Steakhouse so it had been a while but i finally decided to go down and try The Public House. It is a dim light pub which i liked, and i know they have a great selection of beers. I went for dinner with a friend and the service was very slow with hardly anyone in there. I must have asked our Waiter 3 times for water and didnt get it, then when i finally did i was so thirsty i drank in like 5 seconds.
I then asked the waiter later to refill my water - he forgot. I went to the bar, there's two bartneders at the other end not even looking for new customers to tend to, and i stood there for about 7 minutes. I was just like whatever, then my girl friend finally went up there and got some after i sat back down. Now the White Collar Mac and Cheese was delicious and so was hers, i know their food is good and so is their presentation so I couldve gone on a bad night, but it definitely did not make me want to come back.

• Visited August 2012