“An unexpected find!”

Capt. Groovy's Grill and Raw Bar
Ranked #6 of 732 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Grill and raw bar offering fesh local seafood. Funky eclectic decor with outside dining on covered patio. Weekly Chef Specials created by award winning chef David Watts. Monday-Saturday $6 lunch specials, daily Groovy Daddy specials 4-7pm and brunch on Sunday. Something good is always happening at Captain Groovy's.
Reviewed July 25, 2013

After having a flight delay, we were interested in some local food. Our recommended restaurant was dark at 830 PM on a summer night, so we drove back to this spot. Didn't have high expectations, but we were VERY impressed. We had prompt, happy service despite the "end of the day" time.

The food was well above average, especially the crabbie mac and cheese. We went back on our way out of town just to have it again.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We really liked the feeling of the place, and it didn't seem like there was a bad seat in the house. The people around us were happy and relaxed, I have to think because of the atmosphere. There were families and couples and parties, and enough room between tables so that your own world still seemed private. The service was good and attentive, with the manager very evident keeping a careful eye to see that everything was running smoothly. It was the food though that was just average, the ceasar salad was good sized but missing that kick of taste, the portabella mushroom appetizer needed more dry heat, it was very soggy, and the crab cakes didn't seem to have that much filler, but there was no sweet crab taste. My seafood platter had an excellent piece of mahi mahi but the rest was insipid. My daughter's burger was decent but not special in any way. I think the dessert selection was typical Sysco offerings. I would still go back, though because it did feel so inviting and caring and the prices are reasonable.

1  Thank Banannenarama S
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We like the Captains place it's a great local hangout. Travel advice, don't go on Mondays the B team is in the kitchen and the food quality suffers as does the service. Specials change over on Wednesdays, get there after 5:00 for dinner specials. Count on the Tuna Burritto!

1  Thank JHM757
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

I was in town visiting family and we stopped here because my cousin has been here before a few times and had excellent Sunday brunch but we stopped for lunch and was not disappointed. There is something on the menu for everyone. I got the Gywnn's Island sandwich with clam strips on it and it was huge! You really got your money's worth as the clam strips were piled high and they were so light and fluffy with the breaded and fresh as can be! I will definitely be back when in town again.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a great place for an after work get together. We went in and had appetizers and a few drinks. Had a good time.