“service and food was delightful”

Capt. Groovy's Grill and Raw Bar
Ranked #6 of 704 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Grill and raw bar offering fesh local seafood. Funky eclectic decor with outside dining on covered patio. Weekly Chef Specials created by award winning chef David Watts. Monday-Saturday $6 lunch specials, daily Groovy Daddy specials 4-7pm and brunch on Sunday. Something good is always happening at Captain Groovy's.
Norfolk, Virginia
“service and food was delightful”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

After leaving the Surf Rider disgusted with the service we drove a block away to capt. Groovy's.
Waitress was so friendly as if she loved us coming to see her. the smile on her face was welcoming and she sat us right away, took our drink order and our order. The outside was cool and the chairs were so comfortable. She even added extra cushions to make us more comfy.
The food was fresh, hot and served within 10 minutes. My wife's soup was spectacular. and my fried Dolphin was as fresh as could be. tomorrow is fish and chips day for 6.95 lunch special. Save a place to sit outside again.

• Visited June 2013

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Do Not Underestimate This Place”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I had low expectations of Capt Groovy's. From the outside it looks like a cabana bar and the location outside the Norfolk Naval Base screams bar food. Nope, they're also located in east Beach and across the street from one of the most active marinas in the Hampton Roads area. Thus, the expectation is high and they meet expectation.
Very few restaurants can be all things to all people, but CG does a decent job. Want Italian? They have Pescatore, French? Tuna Nicoise Cajjun? Etouffee. But, we're at the foot of the Eastern Shore and Seafood is a must. Soft Shell crabs and raw bar are to be considered. The soups are excellent, She Crab and Seafood Chowder.
The bonus is the wine list, decent and affordable (even half off on Wed). As a matter of fact the whole menu is affordable. 2 appetizers and entrees with a bottle of wine is less than $80,.not including tip
The service is decent, but borders on a truck stop, but the bar tender makes a mean "Pain killer". CG gets busy, so parking can be difficult and reservations between 7-9 are suggested.
ENJOY

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Mayoplan
Chesapeake, Virginia
“yummy”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

delicious calamari; very possibly the best in town. Everything else was yummy as well. Parking is across the street. and expect it to be crowded, but it's very good.

• Visited April 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Nice place and excellent service!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

So glad that the TripAdvisor reviews had me go to this place with my husband, dad, and two daughters on our recent visit to Norfolk!

First, arrival and seating: We arrived a little before 5 on a Saturday. At first, the hostess offered to seat us at a table for four and add a chair. When I said, "you're not busy, can we have a bigger table?" she said they won't normally do that but would today as they were unusually empty. She was not at all snarky and I appreciated that she granted my request quickly.

Food: So happy that they have Happy Hour 4-7pm EVERY day, including Sat. and Sun. My husband enjoyed half price oysters and beer. My youngest daughter can be picky. When I asked whether the portabello mushroom appetizer could be stuffed with cheese instead of crabmeat, our server immediately hopped over to the kitchen to ask, then was back in two shakes asking what kind of cheese we would like. Picky girl gobbled up every bite, except for the taste I had, which was yummy. Her child order of penne alfredo was really good, with delicious high-quality cheese. I ordered shrimp, which were big and tasty. My husband's salad was also huge. Everyone was well-satisfied with the food.

Service: In addition to the good food and happy hour specials, this is what will bring us back. When my dad's cane was posing a tripping hazard, one of the workers with extreme politeness asked if she could move it and had me watch where she put it. Our server, Carla, just couldn't have been nicer and cheerier. She made a point of telling one of the staff members with the same, not very common, name as my daughter to come by to say hello. Carla stopped by at reasonable intervals to check on us, and she really seemed genuinely happy to be working there and serving us. The lever of service here was of the caliber of a higher-class restaurant with more seasoned staff. Coupled with the other positives, it was such a lovely, refreshing surprise.

We will definitely return to Captain Groovy's the next time we're in Norfolk!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank danceqn
Nowhere
“Consistently fantastic food”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I love coming here. It's right near work, so I try to come often. They have very fresh seafood in season, and a wide variety of sandwiches and wraps. We've also hosted get-togethers here and the management is always very accomadating, even with a low budget! It's even more fun in the summer. Great Happy Hour as well- I like the crowd here.

• Visited March 2013