“yummy”

Capt. Groovy's Grill and Raw Bar
Ranked #7 of 792 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Grill and raw bar offering fesh local seafood. Funky eclectic decor with outside dining on covered patio. Weekly Chef Specials created by award winning chef David Watts. Monday-Saturday $7 lunch specials, daily Groovy Daddy specials 4-7pm and brunch on Sunday. Something good is always happening at Captain Groovy's.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

delicious calamari; very possibly the best in town. Everything else was yummy as well. Parking is across the street. and expect it to be crowded, but it's very good.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

So glad that the TripAdvisor reviews had me go to this place with my husband, dad, and two daughters on our recent visit to Norfolk!

First, arrival and seating: We arrived a little before 5 on a Saturday. At first, the hostess offered to seat us at a table for four and add a chair. When I said, "you're not busy, can we have a bigger table?" she said they won't normally do that but would today as they were unusually empty. She was not at all snarky and I appreciated that she granted my request quickly.

Food: So happy that they have Happy Hour 4-7pm EVERY day, including Sat. and Sun. My husband enjoyed half price oysters and beer. My youngest daughter can be picky. When I asked whether the portabello mushroom appetizer could be stuffed with cheese instead of crabmeat, our server immediately hopped over to the kitchen to ask, then was back in two shakes asking what kind of cheese we would like. Picky girl gobbled up every bite, except for the taste I had, which was yummy. Her child order of penne alfredo was really good, with delicious high-quality cheese. I ordered shrimp, which were big and tasty. My husband's salad was also huge. Everyone was well-satisfied with the food.

Service: In addition to the good food and happy hour specials, this is what will bring us back. When my dad's cane was posing a tripping hazard, one of the workers with extreme politeness asked if she could move it and had me watch where she put it. Our server, Carla, just couldn't have been nicer and cheerier. She made a point of telling one of the staff members with the same, not very common, name as my daughter to come by to say hello. Carla stopped by at reasonable intervals to check on us, and she really seemed genuinely happy to be working there and serving us. The lever of service here was of the caliber of a higher-class restaurant with more seasoned staff. Coupled with the other positives, it was such a lovely, refreshing surprise.

We will definitely return to Captain Groovy's the next time we're in Norfolk!

1  Thank danceqn
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I love coming here. It's right near work, so I try to come often. They have very fresh seafood in season, and a wide variety of sandwiches and wraps. We've also hosted get-togethers here and the management is always very accomadating, even with a low budget! It's even more fun in the summer. Great Happy Hour as well- I like the crowd here.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

basic grill food and bar, average but there has to be better in the area. food was good but too much fried food on the menu

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We had lunch at Captain Groovy's earlier this week and we were so impressed that we are going back for dinner tonight! Very fresh, flavorful dishes! Highly recommend!

1  Thank Patty B