“Delicious meals!”

Capt. Groovy's Grill and Raw Bar
Ranked #6 of 700 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Grill and raw bar offering fesh local seafood. Funky eclectic decor with outside dining on covered patio. Weekly Chef Specials created by award winning chef David Watts. Monday-Saturday $6 lunch specials, daily Groovy Daddy specials 4-7pm and brunch on Sunday. Something good is always happening at Captain Groovy's.
Utica, New York
“Delicious meals!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My family and I came here for dinner tonight, and enjoyed our meals immensely! My wife ordered the fried flounder, I ordered the clam strips, and my daughter a nice salad. Our meals came out promptly, our waitress and hostess were very cordial, and our meals were incredibly tasty. The atmosphere was unique and fun, too. This place is open late, as well. We were looking for a restaurant at 9 on a Sunday night, and when everything else was closed, Captain Groovy's was open. Next time we're vacationing in the area we'll definitely be returning! If you're looking for a casual place with some great seafood, this is it! Highly recommend this place to anyone; there's so much variety and it's all wonderful!
- D.

• Visited August 2012

Wayne
“Fun place, good food and NO dress code”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Very crowded, even at 7 pm but worth the wait. We sat outside (a bit muggy but didn't want to wait for an inside table.) Very lovely waitress who suggested an awesome beer not on the menu. Food was prompt and served to us by one of the chefs. Crab cakes are just that crab, crab and more crab - a bit small and pricey but worth the price. Fried clam platter can def feed 2 people. Just an all around nice casual eatery.

Visited August 2012
Crown Point, Indiana
“delish fish!”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We found this place on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. Portion size was great, dessert great, and the flounder was fresh and perfectly cooked. The waitress was very busy but we were not in any hurry. This place was full of locals and we had a very pleasant dinner.

Visited June 2012
Minnesota
“Catching a plane, but hungry for non-airport food? This is the place for you!”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

After returning from a week on the Outer Banks, (sublime, by the way) we stopped at Capt. Groovy's because of it's proximity to the Norfolk Airport. It's a 5 minute drive away in a VERY non-touristy part of town.

We got there right after they opened in the morning. The place was already starting to fill up and was quite busy by the time we left. I got the feeling that it would be a great, funky place for dinner. The staff was friendly and attentive. They noticed that we were losing our napkins to the wind on the porch, and quickly acted to lower a curtain that fixed the problem, yet allowed us to enjoy the feeling of being outside.

The menu is imaginative, with unique spins on typical bar food. I had an oyster sandwich, not labeled as a po' boy, but was, that was HUGE and delicious. The cole slaw initially appeared to be left over, somewhat wilted, but after eating it, and enjoying its spiciness, I think it was intended to be that way. Don't let its appearance put you off, it is tasty! Everyone in the party enjoyed their entrees....the Cuban sandwich was a standout.

If I'm ever flying through Norfolk in the future, I would tweek my schedule to include a meal at Capt. Groovy's!

• Visited June 2012
westminster
“Poor service and cold food”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We ordered a dozen oysters and the meat of them was so small that you could have put one of them on the top of a dime and it would not have covered it. For $14 this was a real disappointment. The waitress, Angie was never visible and my husband had to go look for her when our oysters were left on the counter for 15 minutes, By this time most of the ice bed had melted.

After another 20 muinutes we noticed that my husband's entree was waiting on the counter. My entree was finally added to it about 10 minutes later and when it was finally served it was COLD.There were 2 small cold tortillas, a small portion of cold fish bits, cold beans and warm rice. The only word to describe it was HORRIBLE.

Angie blamed it on the kitchen, but her poor service contributed to making this a total waste of time and money.

• Visited June 2012