“Best Lodge I've Been To.”
Review of Navy Lodge Norfolk

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Norfolk
Navy Lodge Norfolk
San Diego, California
“Best Lodge I've Been To.”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have stayed in many Navy Lodges (CONUS and OCONUS) in my lifetime. This one is by far the largest I've seen and also has the largest rooms we have come across as well. Check in was fast. The staff is friendly. The ladies in housekeeping were super friendly as well. We stayed in a double queen with kitchenette. Very nice. A little bar/island area with two stools, a small dining table with two chairs and a large, comfortable chair in the corner of the room. And a plus is that you don't hear anyone in any of the other rooms!

The breakfast is a step up from the other Lodges we've stayed in. No bagged eggs/muffin here. They also had danishes and cereals and other choices as well and it is kept pretty well stocked for breakfast between 6 and 9 am.

There is free wifi in the lobby and each room has a DSL line to hook up to your computer. While this may be a little inconvenient - I'm super happy that it is FREE! The $8 internet service at other Lodges is a bit much for just one day of service. DSL is also pretty fast as well.

The Lodge is located in the middle of everything. Lots of foods choices right on the same road. It is right down the road from base as well as NFCU, Navy Housing office, CDC and several military housing neighborhoods are right across the road.

There is a nice little mini mart on the first floor. Self service laundry rooms on each floor ($1 for washer and dryer each). Soda machines that take credit/cash cards. We will absolutely be staying here when we PCS out. By far the best Navy Lodge I've been to.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Brandy J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed here May 28-June 1st, 2012. I have to say, for the price, our room was well equipped with a good-sized bathroom and a kitchenette, and everything seemed very clean. But the linens! There was no mattress pad, only a loose waterproof cover on top of the mattress, and sheets so thin and cheap you could almost see through them. All night, the waterproof cover kept bunching up underneath the sheet, and we felt damp all the time because of body heat against the rubber in the waterproof cover. Had there been a pad over the waterproof cover, there wouldn't have been a sweating situation. The free breakfast was not a hot breakfast...the usual hard boiled eggs, muffins, danish, cereal, instant oatmeal, juices, etc., but all fresh. The staff were polite enough, but seemed unhappy to be there. This lodge is geared towards the visiting military family and as such, there are many children, but remarkably little noise heard.

We came to see our sailor, and this location was just minutes from the base, the NEX, etc, and was quite safe to walk around in, although we had no need to do so. I would stay here again, but I might be tempted to bring a mattress pad this time...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathy H
bakersfield
Reviewed April 23, 2012

After checking in late, the lights in my room didn't work - but I was too tired to complain and ask to change rooms. The next day I let the front desk know and maintenance came right away and illuminated things nicely. Throughout my stay, my non-smoking room had that stale old-smoke odor to it. The bed was comfortable, the pillows generous, and I REALLY liked having the small fully equipped kitchen. Every morning continental breakfast was served early enough to enjoy before reporting for work. Overall, my 1 week stay was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Families with Pets up to 50 pounds are welcome, with reservations and shot records.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank teresa m
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 31, 2012

We stayed in the room with the kitchenette which was a nice feature. The bathroom and kitchen area were clean. I was a little disappointed with the housekeeping. We stayed for 5 days and the room wasn't vacuumed and two of the days the trash was not emptied. Also, in a common hallway where the steps were, someone had smeared blood on the wall and it remained for four days. Gross... The people at the front desk were very courteous!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank bethannez
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I'm embarrassed to state that not only am I Active Duty Navy, but also a member of the Naval Supply Community (the community that runs the NEX and Navy Lodges), and this 7 day stay was by far the worst lodging experience, in 28 years of Naval Service.

Where to begin. Well, the Naval Base was my original reservation (which, by the way has great lodging at the Navy Gateway Inn - the old CBQ/BOQ), but there was no heat or water, so everyone was directed to the Navy Lodge (vice civilian hotels). I have never stayed at the Navy Lodge in Norfolk before, but, I had passed it numerous times on my travels up-and-down Hampton Blvd - and the property has transitioned (on the exterior ONLY) from a rundown property, to a newly renovated modern property (again, on the exterior ONLY). From Hampton Blvd, the renovated, larger, Navy Lodge looks impressive - - - but that is where it stops....on the outside.

LOCATION: The location is in a "Iff'y" area of the City of Norfolk......this area has seen it's share of crime over time - but, not to bad lately (last year or so). However, the property is not officially behind the gates of NAVSTA Norfolk (the property and the parking lot has easy access from Hampton Blvd.....for anyone).....so, just like at any other property, lock your car doors, and watch your surroundings, and you'll be fine. Every possible food establishment is nearby, but - just far enough away that it is not walking distance. Also, there are NO SIDEWALKs between the Lodge and most of the establishments further north up the street - and the Sailors drive like crazy on Hampton Blvd.....so, I would not advise walking.

CHECK-IN: Check in was miserable. Front desk staff was nice, but, the room keys did not work, not once, but twice. After lugging my bags all the way to the end of the longgggg new building, I returned to the desk and requested another room (vice a 3rd key). Front desk accomodated my request, but stated "we have problems with the door keys/locks all the time, you'll be back to see us during your 7 day stay" - and sure enough, they were correct. The new room key worked fine, on Day 1, but went out during the middle of my stay.

ROOM: I had a 2-Queen room, and it was hi-lariously horrible. The furniture was shipped directly from the nearest prison (horrible quality), and there was no chair/love seat or couch to sit on in the room, and relax.....just 2 small uncomfortable dining table chairs. No desk (just a very small square dining table). So, to relax (read a paper/book), you have to climb into bed each time. The queen beds were the most uncomfortable beds....ever. There were 4-5 pillows on each bed, and the pillows were the size of inner tubes....huge.....so your neck was elevated all night. Needless to say, I did not sleep well.

BATHROOM: The bathroom was ample size, but there is ZERO water pressure---for the entire property. Took about 10min to get hot water at the shower, and the front desk acknowledged "Yep, water pressure is horrible, has always been like that---sorry" - so, taking a shower was a laugh (water barely trickling out of the shower head). Soooo, they just renovated the entire property - you would think that the water pressure problem would have been addressed....but, nope.

INTERNET: I just checked my calendar, and it is indeed 2012.....and the Navy Lodge does NOT have Wi-Fi in the rooms. And, the hard-wired DSL is adequate, but only for basic internet (no streaming, no Itunes). Again, with a brand new renovated property, you would expect Wi-Fi in the rooms.

LAUNDRY: Laundry is not *free* (on base at the CBQ it is free); now I understand that most civilian hotels charge money for self-serve laundry - but this is not a civilian hotel (it is a NEX property), so the laundry should be gratis. This is one example of the Navy seeking profit over doing the right thing for the Sailors. It's only 2 bucks (1 for wash, 1 for dry), but it should be free for the Sailors and their families.

Overall, my 7 day stay was just miserable and uncomfortable. I really feel for the junior enlisted Sailors that have to stay here with family, due to budgetary concerns.....for a few dollars more each night they should seek a room up the street at the Hampton Inn (closer to the base, much much better rooms, better reviews, and they do have a govt per diem rate). I'm certain that the quality of this property will remain the same, over the years to come....even though the NEX rakes in the profits from the Sailors. It's unfortunate, since they have a large number of rooms, and should be in the business of taking care of the Sailors (vice profit).

Room Tip: Select a room on the 1st or 2nd floor, as the elevators are extremely slowwwwww.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank MARATHON-MCPO-USN
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My stay (from August 2011 'til mid-January 2012) was a happy one. I have read a troubling review and would suggest the individuual take another look at Navy Lodge Norfolk. I experienced a "couple" of disappointing events during my stay. I ALWAYS found the staff to be responsve and professional in their dealings with me. When I thought I had a problem, I had only to mention it and people were in work quickly to resolve the inconvenience. Forever grateful to all of you at Norfolk Navy Lodge, and thanks for treating me like family. We had fun and managed to get a great deal of work accomplished.

Room Tip: Talk to the front desk ..they WILL listen and they will situate you accordkingly. I worked nights a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KenColgate
Barlow
Reviewed November 17, 2011

We stayed at Navy Lodge Norfolk when my son's ship came back from deployment...I was very impressed with the rooms. We got a room for my son and for us, his room was a single and was very nice, very roomy and very clean. Ours was a double queen with a kitchenette, that had everything we might have needed. Both rooms had flat screen televisions and nice size restrooms and again very, very clean!
I will stay no where else, when I go and visit my son in Norfolk except at the Navy Lodge.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family