“unique memorial and site” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 62 things to do in Norfolk
Norfolk, Virginia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“unique memorial and site”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is one of the most unique memorials that I have ever seen. It is absolutely fascinating and beautifully situated. A must see if you are a history buff of any degree.

Visited December 2013

Westfield,WI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very moving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My niece took my daughter and me here and we read all of the letters. I left this memorial in tears it moved me so much. A must see.

Visited August 2013
Detroit
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Very moving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is just a few minutes from the nautilus and week worth the find. One of the most moving military memorials I have ever been to. If your in Norfolk, well worth the visit.

Visited July 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Very Moving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This memorial is fantastic...very creative. It is in a kind of odd place, sort of out of the way in the park. It is a must see if you are in the area. Right next to the Nauticus museum.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Beth F
San Diego
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“How moving.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

It was a bit confusing to find this memorial we walked around & past it a few times because this memorial is mostly on the ground, it has these large bronze "letters" that look like they have been scattered by the wind.

I think there were around 20 of them, written from the 1800's until Iraq war. Letters of service memebers mostly to their mothers & family. The dates the letter was written along with the dates the service memeber died were inscribed on the big bronze papers.

It was a no-attention grabbing memorial, nothing flashy or large, just the words of service members missing their loved ones & dealing with the scars/reality of war. Very powerful. One of my favortie memorials I have ever seen & I have been to MANY!

Visited September 2012