“Yum! Check this place out.”

Big Easy Grill & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Easy Grill & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 730 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Norfolk Seafood Company, located on Tazewell Street, is a place where seafood lovers can find a traditional plate of flounder, scallops or crab but without the fancy ingredients and inflated prices. The restaurant is centrally located in downtown Norfolk above the Big Easy Oyster Bar. The mission of the Norfolk Seafood Company is to bring tasty seafood to locals and tourists, minus the trip to the Oceanfront. Norfolk Seafood Company The menu features everything a good seafood restaurant should offer, plus all the sides. Expect to find coleslaw, fries, green beans, and other traditional side items, all of them ideal accompaniments to crab cakes, shrimp, scallops, and other seafood favorites. Appetizers include the same gumbo featured at the oyster bar downstairs, as well as shrimp cocktail, crab dip, oysters, she-crab soup and other tasty options. A cold beer, wine or a specialty drink from the bar rounds off any meal. The menu is kid friendly, but a child's menu is also available for parents looking for smaller portions for their children. In addition, the decor and atmosphere make it clear that the establishment is a family friendly locale, ideal for celebrating any family occasion be it a birthday, anniversary, or just a Saturday night on the town.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Hard to find (off the main road on side street) but worth it. Just don't wear a hat, or you will be asked to take it off. Wonderful menu choices and full bar. Pretty authentic Cajun cooking with other choices as well. We really enjoyed our dinner AND dessert. Very friendly service when we visited on a Thursday evening.

1  Thank ChristinaM41_12

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I read a bunch of these reviews on here and decided to come for myself. I am a HUGH seafood lover, with that said the food there is excellent. It is simple seafood the way it should be done!!!! I ordered the lobster, shrimp and scallop crock with the lemon sauce and it was perfect. My wife ordered the shrimp scampi she said it wasnt the best she has ever had (but would get it again if she was in the mood for it). Our server was very polite and helpful with menu options and suggestions. The restaurant itself was amazing. The decor lets you know that your are defiantly in a seafood joint. For the most part everything was really good and would come back. For those revies writers whose worst complaint is that they didnt have sweet tea? C'mon man!!! PETTY! stick to pop-eyes fried chicken you have to tip them either. And another thing please please please think about the place your going to and what tyoe of food they have.....If you go to a seafood restaurant and order a BURGER, your the idiot for coming to seafood restaurant looking for beef. With that said Everyone have a nice day.

1  Thank Chris K
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

On a trip to visit my son, my wife and I enjoyed a delicious dinner. Despite some less than favorable reviews from others, we thought the seafood we ordered was delicious. I had the sword fish special that I rrequested blackened to be excellent. My partner had oysters rockafella and she enjoyed hers as much as I did the swordfish. Generous portions, good service but a bit pricey.
Great bar in a good downtown location.

1  Thank Philblack
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The restaurant has a really nice feel and vibe to it. There's a downstairs bar that is a great place to hang out with friends or co-workers for a drink or even an appetizer. When we went there, we spent about 30 minutes downstairs waiting for a table and they had someone play a sax to recorded music- not exactly jazz, but at least it wasn't just a CD (where are the jazz places, anyway?) If parking wasn't such a pain, I'd definitely go back to hang out again.

We wound up having dinner upstairs and all I remember was 'meh'. It was okay- nothing special. I did like the restaurant, itself, the decor was very nice and comfortable. The menu left very little for me, though, and we were all kind of disappointed. The food was okay, but nothing great. The calamari was okay, a little too greasy, but not bad. There was just too much stuff in my entree- I didn't really taste the seafood, just the heavy sauces and spices. If you're watching your weight, you might have a hard time here.

The bill, however, was greater than what we experienced.

As I said, I'd go back to hang out, but I'm not sure we'd go back to eat unless it was strictly for appetizers.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Having spent a lot of time in New Orleans, I was looking forward to sitting down to some delicious Crescent City food. We had a table reserved downstairs near the bar. When we were asked for our drink choices, my husband asked for sweet tea. He was told they had unsweetened tea and he could put sugar in it. I feel like that's just an expected drink choice for the theme of the restaurant. I had a watered down Hurricane which I was not impressed with.

Most of the items on the menu feature sea food, just in case you are not a fan. I had the seafood jambalaya which was pretty good and included my favorite andouille sausage, as well as shrimp. My husband ordered shrimp scampi. He said it was alright.

We ordered calamari as an appetizer, but had to wait awhile since a deep fryer was down. Thankfully, we were not charged for the calamari when it arrived. As sides, we had salads, red beans and rice, and tiny corn muffins. They skimped on the muffins.

Dessert was pretty good. I had two beignets dipped in chocolate sauce. There were also fruit dips, but I didn't try them. Others enjoyed a rich chocolate mousse cake and pecan pie.

We told the restaurant beforehand that it was my brother's birthday, but I guess the wait staff was not told. We had to ask the waiter again, which kinda ruined the surprise.

I was very impressed with the valet (they offer complimentary valet parking). He was very polite.

Overall, I wouldn't come back here and don't recommend you waste your time in doing so either.