“They Didn't Have Sweet Tea...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Easy Grill & Oyster Bar

Big Easy Grill & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Easy Grill & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 695 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Norfolk Seafood Company, located on Tazewell Street, is a place where seafood lovers can find a traditional plate of flounder, scallops or crab but without the fancy ingredients and inflated prices. The restaurant is centrally located in downtown Norfolk above the Big Easy Oyster Bar. The mission of the Norfolk Seafood Company is to bring tasty seafood to locals and tourists, minus the trip to the Oceanfront. Norfolk Seafood Company The menu features everything a good seafood restaurant should offer, plus all the sides. Expect to find coleslaw, fries, green beans, and other traditional side items, all of them ideal accompaniments to crab cakes, shrimp, scallops, and other seafood favorites. Appetizers include the same gumbo featured at the oyster bar downstairs, as well as shrimp cocktail, crab dip, oysters, she-crab soup and other tasty options. A cold beer, wine or a specialty drink from the bar rounds off any meal. The menu is kid friendly, but a child's menu is also available for parents looking for smaller portions for their children. In addition, the decor and atmosphere make it clear that the establishment is a family friendly locale, ideal for celebrating any family occasion be it a birthday, anniversary, or just a Saturday night on the town.
Guam, Mariana Islands
“They Didn't Have Sweet Tea...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Having spent a lot of time in New Orleans, I was looking forward to sitting down to some delicious Crescent City food. We had a table reserved downstairs near the bar. When we were asked for our drink choices, my husband asked for sweet tea. He was told they had unsweetened tea and he could put sugar in it. I feel like that's just an expected drink choice for the theme of the restaurant. I had a watered down Hurricane which I was not impressed with.

Most of the items on the menu feature sea food, just in case you are not a fan. I had the seafood jambalaya which was pretty good and included my favorite andouille sausage, as well as shrimp. My husband ordered shrimp scampi. He said it was alright.

We ordered calamari as an appetizer, but had to wait awhile since a deep fryer was down. Thankfully, we were not charged for the calamari when it arrived. As sides, we had salads, red beans and rice, and tiny corn muffins. They skimped on the muffins.

Dessert was pretty good. I had two beignets dipped in chocolate sauce. There were also fruit dips, but I didn't try them. Others enjoyed a rich chocolate mousse cake and pecan pie.

We told the restaurant beforehand that it was my brother's birthday, but I guess the wait staff was not told. We had to ask the waiter again, which kinda ruined the surprise.

I was very impressed with the valet (they offer complimentary valet parking). He was very polite.

Overall, I wouldn't come back here and don't recommend you waste your time in doing so either.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“HORRIBLE NEVER COME HERE!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

First Off It Looks Elegent (THE PLACE) Did But The Food Is Ridiculous, The Muffin Came Out Befor yourFood, The Muffins Stuck To The Paper It Was Cold, The Waiter Sad He Just Had Them Cook Some AND Came Out W/ The Muffin A Minute Later Cold And Sticking To The Muffin Paper. The Hamburger (HORRIBLE).The Bun Was Cold, Tomato Was Not Ripe,THE Hamburger taste frozen.
The Bread Was Not Toasted. Fries Had. A Greasy Taste And Cooked In Old Grease And They Were Cold, The Lady Had Fries As Well She Did Not Eat Hers Either. My Friends Order Appetizer And It Came Out 15 Min After The Entree Came Out. So Think Twice Before You
Spending Your Money And Eating A The Big Easy Oryser. Yeah It's Big Easy And Lazy, The Cooks Are.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
“Just had drinks at the bar but will be back for dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was a cool spot. We stopped in after dinner at another restaurant in the downtown area for a night cap. After looking at the menu I think we will definitely be giving this a try.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Wine-Loves-Me
Southern Shores, North Carolina
“shell o a restaurantf”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We decided to give this place another try, after a year or so since our last visit, and we liked the new menu. The atmosphere and bar are nice; dinner was a test. Case in point, seated at 6:45, meal served at 8:10. We ordered wine and apps, it took a while for the 3 glasses, then longer for the apps (fried frog legs, cup of Gumbo and raw oysters). Frog legs and gumbo came out, no oysters, server said they shucked the wrong ones? Having been to New Orleans 6 times, the main dishes were nothing to write home about. We won't be going back. Either the kitchen can't get the food out or they have other problems. The folks who own this restaurant have 3 others, and we have always had a great meal at all of them; skip this one.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best seafood spot in downtown Norfolk!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We started out our evening by going downstairs to the oyster bar for drinks and happy hour. The oysters and drinks were great and you will not find good quality oysters anywhere for the price. The bartender was attractive, knowledgeable and professional. We then went upstairs for dinner. Service was fast and friendly. The food (with a cajun style- but traditional seafood options too) was great. We finished with beignets and a chocolate martini. Overall, nothing bad to say, one of the best casual dining experiences I've had in a while. The bartender told me about the Mardi Gras party they are having on the 12th. I will definitely be back for that.

1 Thank Bubblyones

Been to Big Easy Grill & Oyster Bar? Share your experiences!