“Better than Expected” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Norfolk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Better than Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

I chose to stay at this hotel because of a wedding. After reading the reviews on this website I was thinking about changing my hotel and just driving in to the wedding from a different location. I have to say I am glad that I decided not switch and instead I stayed at this hotel. The reviews make it sound much worse than it is. The hotel staff was excellent and the lobby was very nice. The rooms could use some upgrading but overall were very comfortable to and clean.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Larry S, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself at the wedding and that we were able to exceed your expectations. We hope to have you as a guest again next time you are here in the Hampton Roads area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

I must commend Bobbie Jo Jones who is usually working the front desk when I check in. She welcomes me by name and has a room ready for me even though my check in is before noon 3 different times a week. She makes me feel like I'm home away from home. Over all the staff is friendly and seems to care about the guests. The free internet works well in most rooms and usually the rooms are clean and well stocked. I didn't like the "Sleep Number Beds" in the beginning but in time I learned if I dailed the number to a lower "50" I was comfortable enough... however sometimes there is a leak in the bed and it doesn't stay filled with air making an uncomfortable sleeping surface.

But to be fair in my review I must share the bad with the good. Sometimes the paper thin walls allow for noisey neighbors and TVs. Housekeeping seems to knock on my door just about the time I am falling asleep and the room is never very dark during daylight hours. A few times the bathroom has had mold, low water pressure or lack of hot water. But I'm sure if you stay in any motel as often as I stay here that there will be some disappointments.

The location is in the middle of the city close to everything; which is why I choose to stay here... that and again the staff. The breakfast buffet in the Black Tuna Lounge is really nice but dinner isn't anything to write home about. Over all this is a nice location to get your rest.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BenCartwright2014
Larry S, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to give your feedback about the hotel. We are always delighted when one of our associates is complimented on the service we all strive to deliver here at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel. We have also noted the issues you have had in the past and will be taking actions to correct those items for all future guests. Again, thank you for acknowledging our staff member, we will assure that she receives the proper recognition.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Staff was very friendly, I needed a cab at 6:15 in the morning, was told they would call for me and have one there cab was there at 6:10. Clean room. Hallways clean, very nice lobby. Fridge/microwave.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Larry S, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Roselle Park, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here 6 nights and it was not what I saw online. Walls had viable holes, outlets hanging off walls which prevented me from using the clock. The halls and elevators looked like they haven't been vacuumed in days. The sleep number beds were broken. The restaurant inside the hotel was awful. The staff was okay but limited. Overall, I would not stay ever again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

A Wonderful experience for my husband and I and our three kids:) the staff was very helpful and courteous! All special requests were met and in a timely manner. The suite was very spacious with a good size kitchenette. Thanks so much for a great stay!!

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Traveler0987654
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Customer service is horrible. The booking mistake that they made was a great inconvenience. They were unwilling to even fix the mistake let alone offer any other suggestion. The woman at the front desk was very sarcastic and unhelpful.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Badu1996
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all the feedback we can get from our guests to ensure the best possible stay for all future guests. I have sent you a message on here so that I get get more information about your stay. Please contact me so I can resolve the issue you had and ensure that the same issue does not happen to other guests.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Hotel suited our needs while we looked around Norfolk. Some minor issues with our room which were rectified by staff upon our request. Rooms were comfortable and staff were friendly. Wouldn't want to stay there for more than two nights, due to lack of amenities and things to do.

Stayed July 2014