“Angelo Economou, Catering Manager did outstanding event”

Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Norfolk, Virginia
“Angelo Economou, Catering Manager did outstanding event”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

EVMS Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciances just did our Holiday Party at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel. Angelo Economou, the Catering Manager stepped in and made this an outstanding event for our Faculty and Staff. The arrangement of the ball room was beautiful, functional and visually Stunning. His staff prepared a cocktail buffet of all freshly prepared Heavy Hors D'Oeuvres that had a wide veriety of wonderful combinations. Angelo's staff made us feel welcome and appreciated. He helped us bring in Premier Events that provided Casino Tables that added another demention ot our party. Angelo Economou coordinated a wonderful event that my people will talk about for years and he put it alltogether at a very affordable rate. Angelo is truely a great assett tothe Norfolk Plaza Hotel. If you are planning an even, talk to angelo. He will take care of you an your event.

Room Tip: let Angelo make the arrangements for you...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel for anyone to stay there its very unprofessional, unorganized, and clueless of what they are doing. We stayed at this hotel because it was a business trip for my husband, which turned out to be the one of the worst stays ever. There was a banquet for his job at the hotel, we never got any food because the food ran out before even half our group ate the food. The staff was very unprofessional it showed in their language and demeanor. I remember one female actually dancing with customers while working so unprofessional. The sleep number beds did not work, rooms very a mess and the staff has absolutely no professionalism. I personally believe they hire every uneducated or person who drops out of high school based on their vocabulary. All i heard from the staff was vulgar language, and obscenities all night. The staff didn't even set table correctly for a formal dinner. I thought it was common knowledge that the forks are set on the left side in a formal dinner. Hear my warning if you plan on scheduling an event at the Norfolk plaza. DON'T SAY YOUR SELF THE TIME AND MONEY.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mike j
Altavista, Virginia
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Norfolk plaza hotel early October 2013 my room was ok had a problem with wifi in my room late one night and the night security guard came to my room and fixed it his name was mr daniel he was very polite and helpful...

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Fordgirl87
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff. We strive to provide our guests with the best of everything, and our staff is one of our biggest assets.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was booked through my company for an overnight stay in Norfolk. Went to check-in at the hotel and it appeared as though my presence had taken the clerk (Shawnadra) away from her 'work'. The attitude was poor to say the least and rather unhelpful. The general decor of the building is like something from a bad 80's movie. The rooms are also noisy..

2 Thank David M
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
I am so sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. We do strive at The Norfolk Plaza to offer the best service possible to our guests. I will ensure that our staff is coached on how to make sure that every guest realizes that they are the first priority for all of our staff members.

Thank you so much for taking the time to bring this to my attention.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Recently I stayed five nights at this hotel. My ro was not clean. There was no soap in the bathroom except tge dried chunk at tge bottom of the tub. The ceiling plaster was falling down in my room and in the shower. On a minimal note, there are multiple different attempts at decor going on givin this place a creepy brothel type of vibe. Also, the onternet is free because you can only access it in the lobby- it never worked in my room. I was so releived to check out!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Poesfox
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here at the Norfolk Plaza hotel. The level of service that you received during your stay is not the standards that we strive for here at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel.
Norfolk
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My experience at the Norfolk Plaza, is not great because the wifi sucks, the water in the showers doesn't get very hot, and neighbors are noisy. The good thing about this hotel though is that the staff are nice, and Cheyrel who cleans rooms on the 8th floor does an amazing job. My room got dirty after a long week, and I was really impressed by how well it looked when I came back to it after she cleaned it. If it was not for the staff I would so to not even bother with this hotel.

1 Thank musicmafia33
Thank you so much for your comments, we appreciate the kind words you had for our staff. As any business person can attribute, the staff is what makes any business.
Ocracoke, NC
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Located next to the Scope downtown, the location is convenient to all the downtown amenities. The woman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful on the phone when making the reservation and upon arrival to check-in. I'm not certain why but it did appear that only one elevator was working, of the four they had, so trips to and from the 8th floor were somewhat slow. Our room was clean, beds comfortable, though some room amenities were dated, such as the old television. Overall a good choice especially downtown!

1 Thank Jack W
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience here at the Norfolk Plaza. We appreciate your kind words.