“Not a good place to stay.. Dirty”

Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed for a memorial day weekend...the refrigerator was rusty. You haveto wait for hot water for 5 mins...there is onotherd door extention for the nextroom.. And you can heat people talking... We ask for comforter cuz the in one the bed was dirty. And we found pubic hair.they gave as a comforter that isnot totally dry.and they have tube TV ..not very happy

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

We are so sorry for the issues you encountered here and wish that you had contacted our Manager On Duty so he could have corrected any issues and made things right for you. Please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel and I would be happy to make amends on any future stay you may have.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

My organization hosted an event at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel a few weeks ago. The staff was phenomenal at all levels. They were so accomodating to our every need. The ballroom looked amazing thanks to the dedicated staff at the hotel. Words can't describe Chef Charles and his entire kitchen staff. Thank you for all you did to make our event the best yet. The banquet manager, Sandra was professional, courteous and left no detail unattended. She and her staff were a pleasure to work with. All event guests were very impressed with the appearance of the hotel and the professionalism of the hotel staff.

I plan events for a living and unfortunately have had several poor experiences with other venues in the past. That was not the case with my experience with the Norfolk Plaza Hotel. We have already booked additional events here in the future.

I highly recommend this hotel for any of your event needs. You won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TGH_13
Lee F, Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thanks for your kind comments. We do have the finest Banquet/Catering Team in our area ! We'll make sure that they are aware of your comments!

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Ceiling of the room was water damaged and the room smelled very moldy and musty. The hotel is located between housing projects and a Greyhound bus station. The towels and linens are very cheap and thin. The wireless Internet worked intermittently and was very slow.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank R S

I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. My Executive Housekeeper, Chief Engineer and I inspected the room you stayed in and could find no mold. If you had contacted our Manager On Duty at the Front Desk we could have moved you to another room and addressed any issues you had. We have no control over what businesses the City allows to operate in our neighborhood so unfortunately we can not address those items.

Thanks for advising us of your discontent.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Beautiful lobby and the rooms were ok but nothing special. My friend brought me there from Fairfax, Va. he stayed for a few hours and I had to pay 10.00 for parking. The next morning I ordered room service, pancakes ( which were frozen and still cold) pot of coffee, plus tip was 25.00. I sent the first order back and the second order was cold too, thank goodness i had a microwave in my room. I went out for the day on Sunday, came back and room key didn't work. I had to walk back down to the lobby to get my room key reset. I forgot to mention the elevators take 10 min to come and I was on the 11th floor. This is my hometown and I was very disappointed in this hotel. The bed was a sleep number bed that didn't work and it was too hard for me I barely slept.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank aries1964
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

We are so sorry for the issues you encountered here and wish that you had contacted our Manager On Duty so he could have corrected any issues and made things right for you. Please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel with your concerns.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Not worth the three star rating it got. Overly priced. Halls smelled weird. Bathroom smelled horrible but clean for some reason. Staff was very friendly and helpful. But hotel doesn't offer a complimentary breakfast which is absurd considering the price we had to buy for a big hotel. Would not recommend since there are better options in downtown Norfolk.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JC1219

Did you contact anyone at the FD to let them know of your concerns so that our Manager On Duty could have corrected them for you ? Please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

On Feb. 9, 2013, my wife and I stayed here. We wish would have done a better job in researching this place. After we found disparaging information on this hotel we tried to call and cancel. It took me and my wife over 25 attempts to speak with someone. Each time we called the front desk rep forwarded us to a voicemail. Then when we finally got a live person on the phone she could not do anything for us without a manager approval. I asked to speak with a manager and she put me through to a voicemail AGAIN!!! Finally, after several more attempts we got the lady back on the phone and she gave the same sad story. We I asked for her to contact her manager and to call me back. She never did! We could not cancel our reservation because this hotel a 24 hour cancellation. So being that we were stuck we decided to go ahead with our stay.

now when we arrived the gentleman at the front was very kind but you can tell he was the only one there. He was doing the best he could without any help. Then when we checkout out our room, we discovered there was only 1 working elevator out of 4. I informed the front desk and he was unaware and said he would have maintenance check it out. That never happened. People were lined up waiting on the elevator all the time. Moreover, there was a huge party going on and the staff who was assisting them were hogging the the elevator and using foul language around little children. But our evening got worse. Then the bathroom above was leaking water into our tub which was dirty. Maintenance was contacted and responded but the issue was never resolved!

Lastly, this place still has tube TVs! Also, the beds appear to be select comfort beds but there is no way to adjust it. One side of the bed was higher than the other.

Do yourself a favor and do not stay here. Save your money and yourself some aggravation. This hotel is located in an economically disadvantaged neighborhood with vagrants walking around. Definitely not the safest of neighborhoods.

Room Tip: This hotel is directly across from the Norfolk Scope. You will hear traffic and sirens all night lon...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoadKingWarrior
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Please accept my sincerest apoligies for the conditions you encountered during your stay. I assure you that what you experienced was not the norm for us and I have already addressed your issues with my managers, to re-train the staff involved and correct the conditions. We appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We celebrated on February 9, 2013 the wedding reception of our son at Norfolk Plaza Hotel, Norfolk, Virginia. The hotel made superb arrangements for the celebration. Here is the letter of appreciation we wrote to Mr. Angelo Economou, Director of Catering:

Dear Angelo,

It is such a pleasure to write this email. Your arrangements for our wedding reception at your hotel were simply superb! We thank all of you profoundly for such superb arrangements. We just mentioned to you our needs and each one of them has been meticulously taken care of. Besides meticulously taking care of, there has been an element of love in each arrangement. All of our guests admired the arrangements. Sandra's service has been superb. She carried out each and every activity very pleasantly . Your service has made our celebration a memorable one.

With regards,

Usha and Krishna Kulkarni

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for your comments. We'll pass them on to our staff!