“Average Hotel try somewhere else”

Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed here for one night. Checking in the receptionist couldn't find our reservation and finally told us they had given our room to someone else. We then had to wait for them to radio backwards and forwards with housekeeping. Hotel looks very dated, hallways resembled something from The Shining. Room itself was reasonable, had a fridge, desk and sleep number bed which didn't work. As we were only here one night it was all we needed, somewhere to rest our heads. Wouldn't recommend as there are several hotels in Norfolk to choose from. Give this one a miss if you can help it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank freqworld_traveller
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

We're sorry you felt our hotel was only average. Our staff works very hard to provide exceptional service. Please let me know what our staff did to correct the issues you found in your room as what you found is not the norm for us.
Thanks again for your comments. We'll use them as a training tool to help us improve!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

If you need to be at the The Court House, this place has the perfect location. However, that is the only positive thing I can say about the hotel, itself.

My travel companion and I both had to change rooms upon check in. Funny thing was, we didn't realize it until we met for dinner. My room had the A/C on the coldest setting on a cold December day. the television is old...deep with curved screen from th 80's. I had no comforter on my bed. I only had sheets. The main reason i had to change rooms is the smell! It was awful. At first i thought it was food--very bad, old food...but i think it was mold. It was very pungent. The rooms are all very dark--which makes me worry about the dirt I can't see even with every light on. I understand that they have renovated, but they took short cuts by simply deglazing the old tubs, slapping a light coat of paint over dirty textured walls, and reusing the low vanity stands. (Just a few examples.)

The front desk was kind enough to relocate me to another room. The employees expression was incredibly obnoxious as I kindly expressed my dissatisfaction. In hind site, she was probably very tired of hearing the same complaints. I was given a breakfast coupon for my troubles. My travel companion was not, ironically, although he also had to move.

My new room was larger, warmer, and had comforters. My travel companion also had comforters, observed, but hers had NO Duvet cover! YUCKY! Unfortunatey, bigger did not mean much better. The TV was still old, the room still had an odor, although quite different, but the worst part of all was the malfunctioning heater. Since this room was warmer than the first, I assumed that the heater was working, went out to dinner and drinks. Came back to the hotel and my room was freezing. It was so late I opted not to call the front desk again. I thought I could sleep under two comforters and warm up. It was a sleepless night. All my fault for not calling at midnight. .

I was anxious to get out of my room in the morning and get to breakfast and use my coupon! I don't know why I had high hopes...but I did. My coffee was mediocre, but drinkable. My toast arrived warm! But the rest of my meal was so cold that it was unedited. It was ICE cold.

Do yourself a favor and do not stay in this hotel full of smells! Yuck! They made an attempt to dress themselves up but they forgot to take a bath.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

We are sorry for the inconvienences you experienced during your stay. I assure you they are not the "norm" for us. We will use your comments to do a better job of training our staff on responding to maintenance requests and guest incidents and food and beverage service.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is an old hotel that has had a major renovation. The room furnishings are at 3-star level. The personnel are discourteous, uninformative, and frankly, seem to have little training for their jobs.

Hotel sits alone on a triangle of land with major roads on all three sides. Not advisable to walk at night from here, although the better parts of downtown are only a few blocks away. Shabbily dressed people were loitering about the exterior when we arrived on a rainy night.

About 2:00am a fight erupted in the hall outside of our room. The police came and hauled the perps away, but as they departed the fire alarm for the building was set off. Hotel made no attempt to inform guests that there was no fire. Alarm continued until fire department arrived to turn off.

About 3:00am maintenance workers barged into our room. They did not respond to my asking what they were doing. They then stood outside our door and talked to one another. We found out later that morning that this also happened to another couple on the same hall.

All-in-all, the worst night we have ever spent in a hotel. Purchased the room at a discount rate (from Expedia) where you learn the hotel name after paying. Never again! It was advertised as a 3.5 star hotel, but was nowhere close. Physical renovation cannot mask poor management, poor personnel, and the unseemly characters loitering in and about the hotel, all of this giving it the feel of a dead-end flop house.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JP M
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

We are sorry for the inconvienences you experienced during your stay. I assure you they are not the "norm" for us. We will use your comments to do a better job of training our staff on responding to maintenance requests and guest incidents.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

My friend and I were attending a concert at The Norva, a local venue, and stumbled upon this hotel after searching for a cheaper, cleaner place to stay. We were so glad to meet all of the staff at the front desk, breakfast buffet, and bar. The hotel bar and restaurant, The Black Tuna, has affordable and great drinks and food. Their happy hour is AMAZING!!! Overall this hotel is fancy, clean, friendly, and overall an amazing place that I will always be staying at when I come back to Norfolk. The hotel is within walking distance from local restaurants, bars, MacArthur Center, and multiple local venues, and cool shops. Reserve a room next time you come to see a bar or travel to Norfolk!!!!! You won't be sorry.

Room Tip: The higher floor has a cool view!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thanks for your comments. I will pass them on to our staff. We look forward to serving you again!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have stayed here and I have had parties here. If you are looking for a very nice hotel with an awesome staff this place is for you! I have had my company christmas party here for the last few years and I will not go anywhere else! If you like to have a party on a budget and want to deal with people who know their job and actually DO their job then you need to call and talk to Angelo Economou! I have worked with many different hotels setting up meetings and parties and have never worked with anyone who is as helpful and easy to work with as Angelo. When you finish talking with Angelo you will be worry free that everything is going to go just right! I have also stayed at this hotel and I am a clean freak and am comfortable sleeping here and not stressing about dirt or has stayed here before me. This is an overall awesome hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for the comments! We appreciate your business and will pass your comments on to our staff!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thanks and we'll pass your comments onto our staff. We appreciate your business!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

My stay is always a great one...the staff is always very nice and helpful . a very special thanks To Amber,Larry,Sandra,William,Vineshci. I am very greatful my company houses us there .it is the best hotel in VA ...

1  Thank Billy C