Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
$148
$129
$125
  • Pool
All reviewstunaangelo economoudirector of cateringnorfolk downtownfamily reunionhotel is beautifulhousekeeping staffenjoyed my staygenevascopetaylorambertiffanyhousekeeperballroom
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My wife and I recently stay for a nice weekend getaway; was a little skeptical at first after reading the reviews prior to checking in. The hotel and staff were GREAT! The staff was very delightful and helpful throughout the two night stay; the rooms were comfortable with the sleep number bed being the biggest hit. The internet was fast (Prior reviewer… Make sure you log into the Internet using hotel login ID/password, works just fine – and the beds are adjustable for your comfort) The Black Tuna Bar/Grill bar tenders were also very polite and considerate. There are a few good places to eat and places to visit that are in walking distance and the beach is about 16 miles away. If we find ourselves in the area again we will consider using this hotel again.
Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I checked in and when to room 707. I unpacked and turned AC on. After an hour, the AC never cooled the room down. I called the front desk and they sent a maintenance guy up and he said as he was walking across the room to the AC that the compressor was not working.

The guy called down on his walkie talkie to the front desk to have them move me to another room. So I had to pack up everything and move and then unpack again.This is my first 2 hours here.

Also the TV remote control did not work in the first room I was in.

I went to buy a bottle of water from the vending machine on the same floor, the 7th, and neither did the vending machine work or the ice machine. Since there are no smoking rooms in this hotel I had to go to down to the lobby outside. While I was down there, I asked the front desk if they knew the vending machine and ice machine on the 7th floor. The front desk reply was that they did not and said that they don't use them so they have to wait for a customer to tell them.

You would think management would have the cleaning staff or maintenance guy check them to ensure they work. It appears that this hotel as a non-management style.

The pool which I could see from room was almost empty except for some very green water in the very bottom.

Only one elevator was working and when I asked about this when I checked out, I was told that a service company was supposed to be coming out to fix the other elevator.

I tried to use the wifi but it was so slow that I could not even use it with my iPhone.

It appears that this is a poorly run hotel. I can see why Crowne had their name removed from this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

I apologize for any inconviences you suffered. They were not the norm for this hotel. Please contact me direct at the hotel and I will be glad to assist you.

GM

Reviewed May 11, 2012

We recently stayed at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel for 3 nights -- we made a "blind" discount reservation on Expedia and ended up there. We paid about $90/night, and had an average experience.
On the positive side, the location is good: It's within walking distance from downtown, and parking is a not-bad $7/night. The staff could not have been more helpful and nice. We had forgotten our toothpaste and they gave us a free one. They also sent out a service guy immediately when we had problems with the TV's reception, and when machines weren't working in the gym.
On the negative side, well, the reception remained bad; both stationery bikes weren't fixed; and the elliptical was so rickety as to be worthless. The beds were firm, to say the least, and I woke up with a sore back. Pretty stingy on the toiletries as well.
On our last night, several families and friends were in rooms on our floor, and kept visiting each other, knocking on doors and being loud in the hallway. They kept it up until 3am. We asked them to keep it down, called the reception, to no avail. Technically not the hotel's fault, but it was really annoying.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2012

As soon as we got to our room we noticed that the toilet had not even been flushed from the guests before let alone had it been cleaned. The service at this hotel is terrible... There is a guy or at leaste we think he was a guy at the front desk that was rude and snarky from the time we got there. This was the grossest hotel I have ever stayed in next time I'll walk the extra block to stay at the Marriott at leaste they clean their rooms

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Travelsalotz
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

We were shocked to hear of your experience. It is not the norm for this hotel. If you would please contact me direct at the hotel, I will investigate further and respond back to you. Also I will gladly make corrections to your charges. We strive to give quality service and rooms to all our guests and appreciate your input.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

The location is great; within walking distance of many great restaurants and entertainment venues. There's a newer shopping mall nearby, and an Enterprise car rental place next door. Plenty of parking and friendly staff. The decor is a bit bold in the public spaces, but the rooms are more subtle.
One big plus is that the hotel is structurally better than a lot of newer hotels, so that I did not hear my neighbors at all through the walls, though you do hear doors slamming once in a while, but it's a lot better than almost every other hotel I've stayed at in the past year.
The only negative thing I can say is that the business center could use some new computers. I had to print some documents from a USB drive and ended up going to Kinkos because it just couldn't be done at the hotel. But, with recent change in management, perhaps that will be addressed.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank smp8589
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thanks for your kind words! We'll use them as a training tool to make us even better at serving our customers!