“Very Friendly - Great Value”

Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Virginia
“Very Friendly - Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

I have stayed twice and found the hotel to be warm and inviting. It's a great value compared to some of it's downtown neighbors.

Room Tip: Use the Web to make your reservations
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
neil_flavin, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Bronx, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

We made the reservations via Expedia so I knew to call the hotel (it took 4 tries to get some one on the phone) in advance so they would not cancel our reservations since we were checking in at 5am and we wanted the rooms right next to each other. Upon check in Austin the night auditor did not say a word about the hotel its amenities or offer any assistance with our luggage. He was kind enough to give us instructions for parking. They have valet as self parking prices vary from 8 to 14 dollars. Anyway thanks to my phone call we did get our rooms together, unfortunately as soon as we are settled the fire alarm goes off in the room which I had to manually disable since it would not stop beeping. I called Austin and he said some one would be right up no apology was made.

As for the rest of the front desk staff I could not have had a nicer time with the ladies. Kiki in particular went out of her way to give directions for fun things to do in town.

The swimming pool was clean thought I wish the bathrooms were closer. We brought our own food and drinks and enjoyed a splendid day by the pool. I would suggest more outdoor umbrellas. They only had 3 and they would blow away at the slightest wind. Other families that came down had to do with out and in that sun it was not a pretty sight.

As for the rooms they were average size with a nice view of downtown Norfolk. They came with all the basic amenities but we had difficulty with the television some channels wanted to work others did not and you could get no picture at all. All in all we enjoyed our stay but when you book a deal just remember you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor with views overlooking the pool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

Pictures on website don't match establishment. Interior is old and dated and not worthy of the name. Restaurant had limited menu and were out of most items. Hotel feels rather sad and as though with the limited clientele it is questionable how this place stays open. Service staff was poor, waited 45 min to get assistance with broken hair dryer in room.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Jamalifer
IHGCare, IHGCare at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear Jamalifer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again.

I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. IHGCare ^bj
Birdsboro, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

My wife and I were visiting family in Norfolk, and were looking for an above average hotel without remortgaging our home. The Crowne Plaza fit our needs nicely. Here are some Pro's and Con's we noticed during our stay.
PRO'S......Friendly and courteous staff. Nicely decorated lobby and rooms. Located within minutes of many Norfolk attractions. Housekeeping serviced our room daily. Courtesy -daily newspaper at door. Courtesy -morning coffee / tea and bagels in lobby. Pool was cleaned daily. Security presence was noticeable in Lobby and parking lot during evenings. Nice view of Norfolk from our eighth floor room.
CON'S.....Seven dollar daily parking fee. Room had a bit of a musty smell. A/C unit only operated on high. No safe to lock up valuables in room. Bathroom has very poor ventilation / a hot shower creates a rain forest. Walls are a bit thin / could hear mumbled conversations from other rooms. Only two or three floors had ice machines.
Like any hotel you could pick it apart. Our four main concerns were met. We felt safe. We were treated well. Our stay was comfortable and the room was affordable.
When in the Norfolk area, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Due to Crowne Plaza's location, I believe most rooms have a decent view of Norfolk. Noticed more...
hickory, nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

Driving 6hrs from NC in the middle of the night, we arrived the Friday of July 4th weekend in Norfolk at 6:45 am - a full half day before check-in. I called the hotel to see if perhaps we could check in early at 11am. The gentleman at the front desk told us to come on in. By 7:10 am we were in a great room, in a comfy Sleep Number bed and we didn't wake up until 11 am. We stayed for three nights. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. They gave great recommendations for dinner each night and even suggested a few non-touristy places to check out. The pool was nice and never was terribly crowded. We didn't try the onsite restuarant, but I think that is probably because the staff recommended such unique off-site places.

The lobby is great - decorated in a very mod way, black and red. Funky furniture and lots of places to sit. The lobby is huge and while we were there, several large family reunions were taking place. As we would pass through it was a treat to see everyone gathering in the lobby and sharing stories. There is a small gym off the main lobby, as well as a barbershop/spa, although we never saw the shop open. I think it may have been by appt. only.

We stayed on the top floor, number 12. The hallways were a little warm during the day, but the room was plenty crisp and cool. The bed had a multitude of white coverlets and linens and more pillows than an army would need. I mentioned earlier that the beds were Sleep Number beds - something we didn't discover until the second night, and only by accident. We played around with this feature a little, but ultimately it didn't make much difference. The beds were super comfy and even though we were only expecting a Queen, having a King was a great perk. The room didn't come with a microwave or mini-fridge, but we rented one for $1 a day. Can you beat that? The bathroom was a little small, but how much time do you spend in there anyway? It was clean and that is all that really mattered.

This is a pet friendly hotel, but the only "furry human" we ran into was Beemer, one morning in the back side lot of the hotel. Beemer's "dad" I think is the hotel manager. He was a pleasant fellow and we had a nice chat. Made us wish we had brought along our dog Buddha Jayne for company...perhaps next time.

The location had me a little worried right at first - it is right across from Public Services and the Greyhound station on one side and Public Housing on the other. But everyone we encountered in the neighborhood was super friendly. It was less than a mile from the McArthur Center, a three-story mall downtown. It was an easy walk, even in the summer heat. Just one block further over and you can reach the harbor front and have dinner at Joe's Crab Shack and watch the ships roll in and out of the harbor.

The one and only bad thing I can say is that within an hour of checking out of the room I realized I had left a purple cell phone in the room. We were already well on the road, so I called back to the hotel to try and get housekeeping to recover it. I made multiple calls during the next week and a half, with the housekeeping folks telling me someone would return my call, but no luck on locating the phone I guess but I've yet to receive a phone call back. My fault for not packing it back up, but a return phone call would have been nice.

The parking fee of $12 for each night was a little steep, but considering that we booked through a third party and the price we received was actually 74% off the direct booking price that weekend, we couldn't complain. We lucked up I think. The value we got was unbelievable. Even though this was our first trip to Norfolk, we are seriously considering taking a vaction again at the end of September, just to go back to this hotel.

1 Thank sqrlzmom
Lorton, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

This was the worst experience I have ever had in my life with a hotel. We showed up at 3:00 to check in and had to wait in line for almost an hour because they were understaffed and the few reps they did have were not very fast, were not polite and were unmotivated to be working there. We were on a tight schedule and had obligations to meet, so time was not something we had. Once we did get to the front we were informed that our room would not be ready anytime soon. We also had AAA and they refused to honor that. Finally around 5:30 pm we were given a room (hours after we were supposed to be checked in) and the manager on duty offered to give waive my parking fee (a whopping $7.00) and sent us on our way as there was a line around the corner. We get to our room and it was trashed. It had not been cleaned, trash everywhere, two dirty beds, a used condom on the floor, etc. I then had to go back down and wait again to speak to someone and finally got a new room that was clean. Sure enough I get the bill in the morning and not only did they not waive the parking fee, they also charged me for two parking fees. My friend who shared the room with me went down in the morning to speak with the manager and she knocked off the parking fees and honored our AAA. My original bill was 160.77 with taxes. After getting our AAA honored and getting the parking wiped out, our new bill was $112.87. The discount did not make up for the anxiety I experienced, but making me late for my event, but I did feel better. Then I get home today and my card was hit with over $190.00 in charges. Even more than the original bill. I do have all may paperwork and expect to eventually get this worked out, but now I will probably have to spend hours on the phone with managers to get this fixed. Even if they gave me the room for free, it would not make up for how bad my experience has been. This place flat out sucks and is the most poorly managed place I have ever seen in my life.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Timgul
IHGCare, IHG ICare at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Dear Timgul,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the billing may have caused you.

We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Brenda Johnson
Case Manager
IHGCare
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

I recently went here for a sight vist. When I first arrived at the hotel the front lobby area looked nice. Unfortunately, that was the only thing nice about this place. The manager on duty checked me in and informed me that my room was dirty and not ready yet. It was 5:30pm. He gave me a drink ticket and told me he would come get me when the room was ready. I sat at the bar and ordered a drink. It took 10 minutes for me to be served. I was a little annoyed seeing how there was only about 5 people sitting at the bar. I sat and chatted with other people at the bar until 7:30pm when my room was ready. I went up to my room and settled in. I started putting my belongings away and noticed that the bathroom was still dirty there was hair on the floor. The toilet didn't flush, the sink was clogged and the hair dryer didn't work. Also my view was looking out at Section 8 housing/parking lot.

I was hungry and didn't feel like going out to eat. I searched for the room service menu which they didn't have. I then went downstairs to get something quick to eat. When I went to the bar/restaurant it was empty and the bartender was washing the dishes. I went to the front desk to ask of any nearby restaurants in the area that were open. He told me that there are places on Gransby Street that are open and that I could walk there. I asked him if it was safe since I was a young woman alone. He said yes. I also informed him that my room was still dirty. He informed me that he would have housekeeping go up there right away to clean the room. It took me 15-20 minutes to get to an open restaurant.

When I arrived back at my hotel room I noticed that some of my money was missing. I immediately called the front desk. A manager and security came up and I informed them what happened. I then had to call the police to report the incident.
The next day at the site visit I informed the Manager about what happened. She informed me that they would get this resolved right away. I ended up not spending another night at the hotel. I had to go back later in the week to follow up on the incident. The Manager felt horrible that this happened and reimbursed the money that was stolen. Regardless, I will not be planning to stay here in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business