“Nice, clean hotel located on a beautiful little beach!”

Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
GreenLeadersBronze level
Maryland, USA
“Nice, clean hotel located on a beautiful little beach!”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Generally speaking, I've found Best Westerns to be clean and economical. This one did not disappoint!

We were warmly greeted and check in and although early, found our room ready! The room was clean, cool and comfy. After a quick change, we decided to venture out to the pool and beach.

The small beach area really gives the feel of a private beach, although it is not. Nice quiet area with mostly families and small groups. The pool area was clean and well stocked with towels. The lounge chairs were plentiful and in good shape.

Our room was perfectly cleaned the next day with a good replenishment of towels. The breakfast was a little cramped; nice idea and the staff was wonderful, but I only wish they had more room. We skipped it the second day and opted for someplace less crowded. But this is less a hit on the servers and food (which was good) and more just the space. Not sure what, if anything, could be done to alleviate that.

All and all, a very pleasant stay! I would highly recommend for families traveling on a budget who want a clean, comfortable and fun place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Chad M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay while staying with us. You will be happy to know that one of the renovation projects we have slated is to expand and remodel the breakfast room. Hopefully on your next visit with us, you will notice some new and exciting changes that you will really enjoy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Waupaca, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We decide to stay 2 days in Norfolk. This motels had a nice rooms ours had a king size bed and a pull out couch. It was right on the beach. The breakfast was delicious cheese omelets one day scrambled the next. The front desk staff was helpful pointed us in the direction of a good restaurant. It also had a nice pool. One piece of advice if down by the beach apply plenty of sun screen!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
On behalf of myself and the staff, I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. I would also like to thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay with us.
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is a motel with rooms that open to the outside directly on the beach in a residential area of Norfolk. The staff is friendly, and although the room was a little small, it was clean and the bed was comfortable. They serve free breakfast each morning and there is free WI-FI. There Is free coffee and lemonade in the lobby and they have an outdoor pool and a patio with patio chairs. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking a few minutes to let us know about your stay with us, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am not sure what room type that you stayed in, but we do offer 9 different room types on the property ranging from our Single which is just a smaller room with a single queen sized bed, mini-fridge and microwave to our Manager's Suite which is a 600 sq ft apartment with two full bedrooms (each with own bath), and a full sized eat in kitchen. If you are ever in the area again, stop by and see if possible one of our other rooms may better suit your needs.
Ann Arbor, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is a good hotel, but, it needs some up dating. The staff is kind and helpful with all requests and made our stay comfortable. The water view was a pleasure as was the pool. It's an easy drive to the Norfolk waterfront, Virginia Beach and other tidewater areas.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for letting me know about your stay with us. We have had many comments like yours about needing some updates and now that our busy season is over, we are in the beginning phases of a 36 month renovation project. We hope that when you return to stay with us again, that you see the new and exciting things we have planed for the property.
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

If you think that ocean front location guarantees ocean view for you - you are totally wrong.
I will be short.
I got unlucky to get dirty room with lots of wet spots on the carpet(from pets). Smell was terrible.
Windows from that room were facing walls of narrow public corridor. People were walking in that corridor back and forth. I had to keep the windows closed with curtains at all times. I was there like a rabbit in a hole.
How I got my clothes stolen? I asked them to clean my room. First few days I kept "Do not disturb" sign on the door, that's why they were not cleaning my room. In the evening, after I had my room cleaned I found that my shorts disappeared from my trunk. Those were really expensive, 270$ worth. I called the police and filed the report.
Manager was lazy and not professional, he arrived next day at 11:30 instead of 9(as I was told he was supposed to be there at 9 am).

• Stayed April 2014
I appreciate you taking a few minutes to tell us about your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not an enjoyable one, and we did not exceed your expectations. I understand that you are a little upset about not having a view, but our building is shaped like a giant horse shoe, and with as much as we would like to give all of our guests bay view rooms, it is not possible.

As far of the shorts, I am sorry that you had shorts that were missing. I do understand your frustration, but I hope you understand that I have to do a complete investigation and can not just blame one of the staff members for a missing item before doing so.
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

This was our third hotel in a week and we loved this one. The pool was great, the beach was great. We were so sick of eating out that the kitchenette was welcomed. The only negatives were that we had a moldy shower curtain in room 122, I wish there was a cookie sheet or silverware in the kitchen, and the guests were partying on the patio until late.

Stayed June 2014
Thank you for letting me know about your stay, and I am glad to hear that you an enjoyable time. My apologies about the festivities from some of your neighbors. I hope that if you reported it, my staff took actions to correct the situation so that both you and the other guest were both able to enjoy your stays.
Aliquippa, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We found the Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Norfolk, VA a great place for a quick family vacation. The hotel exceeded our expectations by having a great team of associates who really made us feel welcomed and always asked if they could do anything more for us. The hotel sits on a great piece of beach that his clean with silky sand. I hope to be able to return again in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the kind words, I am so glad to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. I have a wonderful staff here, that as you mentioned takes great pride and does everything that they can to make our guest feel welcome and part of the family.