“January in Norfolk, Virginia” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN PLUS Holiday Sands Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
GreenLeadersBronze level
norfolk, va, United States
“January in Norfolk, Virginia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

This hotel has the very best staff we have encountered. The rooms are small and old, but very, very clean. WE were totally pleased with this stay in spite of the cold weather there at our return stay on January 23. Their breakfast is excellent as are all the staff we encountered. A new light bulb was installed immediately upon notice. The price was very reasonable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank Edward And Luan... A
Chad M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Holiday Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
I am glad to hear that my staff took great care of you and made your stay memerable. They take great pride in their southern hospitality and making all of our guests feel like they are home and part of the family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

We booked and paid extra for an ocean view room in January, thinking it would be beautiful to see the ocean any time of the year, but didn't realize how old this "hotel"/ MOTEL really is. The wind and cold air was so strong coming into the room that I had to block the balcony door opening with all the bed pillows and lean the desk chair against them to hold them in place... it was the only way to stop the deafening wind sound and keep the cold air from coming in. The pictures on line make the rooms and motel look more luxurious than they are in person. They are nicely painted and clean but should not be charging the regular Beat Western premium rates given how out dated the building is. Plus we had to go outside and get in our car to drive to the room where they offered the free breakfast in a room at the bottom level of the motel portion. I thought I was booking a hotel room that had an ocean view and a lobby etc so I was disappointed to have to travel in and out plus the fact that my "in" was cold and windy didn't help...at a premium price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay while you were with us. The bay is gorgeous any time of the year, but I do understand how it would be hard to enjoy when there are issues. I don't see it mentioned, but I am hoping that if you did report the issue to my staff that they did everything in their power to try and make your stay better.

As far as having to leave your room and go outside to go to the lobby and breakfast room, the online pictures do show that we are an exterior corridor property, but would like to apologize if any of our pictures lead you to beleive anything else.
Virginia Beach, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Decent/large rooms, and an amazing staff! Great value! The area is a bit shady, but that's not Best Westerns fault. Highly recommended. I've stayed twice now. Once for about 10 days straight. The cleaning staff returned a fairly expensive video game system and games when they could have easily pocketed it. The associate at the front desk called me, and even held on to it for a few days until we were able to pick it up.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Rodney B
Chad M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Holiday Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed both of your stays with us, and that my staff took great care of you. If you are ever in the area again, please come see us again, and see all the exciting updates we have in the works.
Largo, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

40 years ago this property was THE hotel for civilians visiting Norfolk on Government Travel orders. Today this hotel is barely holding its own with the competition from newer hotels.
The rooms feature dated furniture. and are badly in need of a renewal. The breakfast room serves a minimum quality breakfast. The internet service Best Western Internet is very slow and unreliable. Stay somewhere else.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We are in the beginning phase of a 36 month renovation project which will include upgrades to the rooms, expansion of our breakfast room, and general public space (pool/patio area, fitness room, etc) upgrades. We hope that next time you are in the area, you will give us another try and see all of the exciting renovations that are taking place.
Gahanna, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I own a home near this hotel and was back to check on the tenant renting it. I have driven past this hotel many times and from exterior appearances thought it to be above average for the area. I found the staff courteous and helpful. I was disappointed however, in the size of the room. It had to be the smallest hotel room I've ever seen. It had a queen bed, two side tables, a table and two chairs, a dresser with a TV on it, and a unit which housed a microwave and refrigerator. A small safe was in the closet. The furniture was too large and their were too many pieces to make it comfortable. We couldn't even sit down at the table as it was crammed into the corner between the closet and the TV stand/ dresser. I would recommend getting a room with two beds even if you don't need one. Surely it provide more "elbow" room than the queen room did. If you are traveling alone you might be OK with the smaller room but it was too small for two people. Also, I went to use a hand towel and the the backside of it was covered in some kind of yellow substance. I showed it to the clerk when I checked out. He was very apologetic and discounted the room 10%. I wasn't expecting to receive a discount, simply wanted to make him aware of the problem. Again, he was very apologetic. We got up too late to take advantage of the free breakfast so I can't comment on the food. The room decor is somewhat dated but acceptable. Overall, if you are looking for a reasonably priced room on the Chesapeake Bay and are more interested on leisure time on the beach or visiting the other historical sites, this hotel is fine. It was not comfortable for a business traveler who may need to work from the room.

1 Thank Kelly T
Chad M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Holiday Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for honest review of our room. Per the soiled linen, we do sincerely apologize, that is definitely not the standard that we strive for here. From your description it sounds as if you were staying in one of our singles, which is the smallest room on the property. While are singles are perfect for someone passing through that needs a place to rest for the night, you are right and it is not ideal for business. We do offer 9 different room styles on our property ranging from our single to our Manager's Suite which is a 600 square foot apartment. Hopefully if you are ever in the area again, you will give us another chance and hopefully one of our other room types will meet your needs.
Chester, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

The most spectacular views of the bay and at night the Chesapeake bay bridge all lit is beautiful. I have seen dolphin and a stunning array of birds. Also being so close to the navy when the ships go by you can feel proud of our mighty force. Overall this is my favorite retreat.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the great review, I see that you are a returning guest and appreciate your continuing patronage. While the view you get of the bay from our balcony rooms is stunning in itself, it does add a little majesty seeing the dolphins and seabirds.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I took a 2-night retreat at this hotel in order to get focused on my writing and between the friendly staff, accommodations and GREAT VIEW of the Chesapeake Bay, sea grass, dunes, water and sunrises I was able to concentrate with ease and get a LOT of work done. I stayed at the 5-story oceanfront suite (refrig. and stove were all in good working order!) of the building in early January and only paid $80 per night which was a very good deal (not great) for this time of year--the breakfast is exceptional (two hot breakfasts including two types of waffles) and coffee and juice was available 24-7. Great time!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
I am ecstatic to hear that you had such a great time with us. I am sure that after your stay with us, you have no problems believing when I say we have had several writers spend weekends with us to have alone time for their writing. With the spectacular view of the bay, beach, dunes, and Bay Bridge Tunnel, how could one not be inspired to write?