“BED BUGS!!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ahoskie
“BED BUGS!!!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I do a quite a bit of traveling but this was by far my worst nightmare. The room my wife and I were staying in had bed bugs. We couldn't sleep all night and thought our minds were playing tricks on us when actually we were being eaten alive by bed bugs. We reported this to the staff the next morning and was investigated by them and the room was deemded to be positve for bed bugs by an exterminator.!!

Room Tip: Check for BED BUGS I thought it was only on TV, but boy was I wrong!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank bsdunni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
New York City, New York, Usa
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was down for a funeral. Starting the nigh I arrived the staff where cirtius and friendly. I travel a lot and many stays start out like that. However not here from the cleaning ladies to the ladies i saw at 6:30 am for breakfast. In an age where people people don't seem to know what customer service is the staff here gives me hope that there is still hotel that have great hospitality.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I just called to change a 7-night stay to a 6-night stay and was treated to the rudest, most uncaring snap I have ever been exposed to. Instead of 'I am sorry you will have to shorten your stay," I was told, "well if you change your reservation our rates go up."

I said thanks for the good news and Steven told me "you're welcome."

Fabulous customer service.

And now my poor family will go and hopefully not receive extra poor service because of this exchange.

Room Tip: cross your fingers
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank deborah c
Oak Ridge, North Carolina
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel thru Priceline as the BW website was having issues. Missed out on reward points but glad we stayed. The staff were all super friendly, everyone was on their toes.,I booked the king one bedroom suite, but found out its not a true one bedroom. They have a doorway between but no door. This appeared to be "adjoining rooms" converted to a room. I asked if we could change to something w:/ a door. We were put in a one bedroom w/ a queen bed and sofa bed in the living area and a separate queen bedroom. There was a kitchenette but we didn't use it. The kitchen window could use curtains as the flood flood light was very bright (#224). The breakfast was full of variety and tasty. More than we expected. Beach access was good and the place was not crowded at all. Good location between Norfolk common and Virginia Bch.

• Stayed December 2012
Arnold, Maryland
Reviewed December 3, 2012

For this class of hotel, the experience was fine - not five stars by any means, but for a Best Western, above average. About what could be expected for the room, which had a full kitchen. The cabinets were old and showing their age, but otherwise acceptable. Room was very clean. Wifi was not strong, but present. Good, solid breakfast served daily. Exercise room was downright frigid - unsure if they heat it, and in late November, it does get cold here. Be sure to ask for your safe fee ($1.50 plus tax) back on check-out - they tack that charge onto your bill whether you use the in-room safe or not. A considerable amount of road noise, but not excessive; not sure if you can find a room that would minimize this. All in all a good value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Lecompte
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Not a new hotel, BUT very quiet neighborhood, comfortable beds, all the staff, front desk, housekeeping, etc. are super nice and friendly!! I stayed here by myself in May 2011, then with my husband and 2 boys December 2011. Our older son left for deployment in May and returned in Dec. Loved that it was on the shore of Chesapeake Bay! Will definitely stay here again if needed!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room with a kitchenette! Has everything you need except a can opener!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Sands after our daughter finished Basic Training. I called them for rates and the receptionist did a fantastic job listening to our desires and matching us up with a perfect match. The apartment where we stayed provided us with plenty of room at a fantastic rate. We were so pleased with the hotel that when we discovered we had another night with our daughter, we drove back from Newport News to stay another night. The staff was super friendly and helpful.
A few minutes after we settled in the room, we received a call to see if there was anything we needed. Nice touch!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'manager's apartment' which had two bedrooms - each with tv plus a tv i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Travelers also viewed these Norfolk hotels
SpringHill Suites Norfolk Virginia Beach
Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base
La Quinta Inn & Suites Norfolk Airport
Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport

Been to Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites

Property: Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites
Address: 1330 E Ocean View Ave, Norfolk, VA 23503-2208 (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS Holiday Sands Inn & Suites)
Location: United States > Virginia > Norfolk
Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#1 On the Beach Hotel in Norfolk
#2 Green Hotel in Norfolk
#3 Romantic Hotel in Norfolk
#5 Business Hotel in Norfolk
#5 Family Hotel in Norfolk
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Best Western, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Holiday Sands Hotel Norfolk