“So much potential but does not deliver.”

Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The overall mood of the stay began with the teenage valets who were more interested in their conversations than their guests. With this crowd work was an interruption. It was not until the last morning at 6:30 (June 6) that they had someone on who wanted to work. The front desk staff were very efficient during check in and later when I came down to pick up a package.
6/1 - 6/6 My room was missing a curtain when I arrived and even after I reported it they never came up to fix it and I guess housekeeping never noticed. The other issue was the bed. The bed was much lower on one of the top corners then at the bottom and after a long night with very little sleep I found out the next morning that the frame was undone so I let the front desk know. They came to fix it on my last day there but did not make sure that the bed was even because then it rolled downhill side to side instead of foot to head which lead to another rough night.
I was there for an event and the biggest complaint was the lack of Coffee on the tables, they refused to put a pot on the table and when they filled the cups it was only halfway and if you wanted tea it was a long wait. This would not have been such a big deal except in the rooms they had an 8 cup coffee pack for a 1 cup pot. Every meal except for Breakfast was very good in the event room. I would also note that the hook for the towel on the back of the bathroom door has been torn off and the big splinter is still there. I really do expect more from a Sheraton and this does not deliver what it could with the location and brand.
I did eat in the restaurant a few times and the staff and the food were great.
I would stay there if there was another event but would not choose it for leisure. I would also not pay more for a water view room as you are overlooking a working ship yard.
The parking garage is not next to the hotel but next to the building next door, I did not feel all that safe going over there at night alone even though there was a guard in the lobby of the next building watching camera feeds. I did not feel like they could get help to me in a timely fashion if there was a problem unless I was parked right next to the door and the guard was watching the right camera. They do offer valet parking but it is $22 per day and the kids you give your car to will remind you of all the worst stories you have ever heard or seen.
They offer a shuttle that is run by the valets and the one day that myself and another person wanted to go to eat we asked for them to take us and they said that even though it was only 1.3 miles away there were to many lights and he did not want to deal with them. Really! But they are only untrained kids with no supervision so what do you expect. I had my car so we drove, it took me a whole 5 minutes.
You expect a lot of this from a lower brand or some independents but not a Sheraton... but maybe you should.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Cheryl D
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

We'd like to begin by ensuring you that our guests’ comfort and safety are our primary concerns and we take great pride in offering a secure environment for our guests. For any inconveniences you may have experienced with our parking, we apologize. Thank you for sharing your thorough review with us, as it allows us the opportunity to get a clear perspective of your time with us. I'd like to apologize on behalf of our staff if your experience did not reflect the high standards of the Sheraton brand. We hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to provide the exceptional stay you deserve.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Great location is the best amenity of this Sheraton Hotel...it's situated with great views of the shipyard, albeit an industrial-type shipyard. The location has several restaurants, both pricey and inexpensive within walking distance. Wireless service...find it only in the lobby though! Everything is set up for naval contractual requirements which means hard-wired rather than wireless in the rooms!!! (Unless this has changed very recently)

Room Tip: Try to get a harbor view, although it's an industrial shipyard...not beautiful open water.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel though we regret any difficulties with our Internet. As you mentioned, complimentary wireless Internet is available in our lobby. Feedback from our guests is always encouraged and we hope to welcome you back again, should your travels bring you back to Norfolk.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were attending a meeting of the Defenders of Bataan and booked 2 nights for the final events. Memorial Day weekend traffic from DC was awful (on Friday early) so we didn't stop to eat on the way. Arrived famished at 5--happy hour. It took over 1/2 hour to get a cup of soup and a plate of wings--and there weren't 10 people in the place. Every meal in the restaurant was terribly slow. Our room on the 10th floor was near the "club" which offers a free breakfast and happy hour treats (best part of the stay) but every time anyone came in or out the door slammed and reverberated in our room. Luckily I had ear plugs, as you could even hear every conversation in the hallways. The internet wifi wouldn't connect and in the club room it wouldn't connect to email...the employee there told me to go to the lobby as it usually works better. I've stayed at some great Sheratons but this one leaves a lot to be desired. The lobby is pretty and does have computers but they were usually backed up and it was noisy there too. Most folks at the convention complained about the restaurant service, and the dinner ($85.00) was 2 slices of overcooked roast beef (which some of the folks complained they couldn't eat).

Room Tip: Refuse to be anywhere near the club room on the 10th floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank satorigal

We'd first like to thank you for booking your stay with us for the final events of the meeting. We are disheartened to read that your experience did not live up to the high standards of the Sheraton brand and for that, we apologize. On behalf of our restaurant staff, I'd like to extend my deepest apologies for the length of time you waited to be served. After such a long travel, it's truly disappointing that we failed to impress you with our services. Thank you for sharing your concerns and we hope you'll someday allow us another opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel is situated nicely downtown within walking distance of the mall, restaurants, bars, etc. I love the view of the Marina, and the industrial Shipyard in Portsmouth. The Service was excellent, they even let us use the employee microwave. Anything we needed they were on top of. There was a rowdy group of postal workers staying for a convention, but the hotel can't control these people's behavior. They did put up a sigh asking for quiet during normal sleeping hours. My only major complaint is the parking situation. The last time I stayed here, I paid the $22 dollars (plus tips), for the valet. This time I opted for the garage. It isn't that the garage is that far, it's that it has a complex archaic system that's hard to understand. If you're not careful, you could end up paying more than once per day ($8) which defeats the economical purpose of opting for the garage as opposed to Valet. I downgraded the hotel down from last stay to three stars because of this. Once the parking attendant told me I might be charged twice, I parked across the street downtown on principle. They really need to fix this. In the Six Sigma world this is what we call the "Variance" lol. This is where your customers pain is when it comes to your hotel, the parking. Also, let people have free wifi, no one charges for that anymore.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room om the harbor side, it's a must!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback regarding our services. We hope you'll accept our sincere apologies for any difficulties or inconveniences you encountered while using our self-parking. Please keep in mind that our daily rate does include in and out privileges. We also regret any inconveniences with our Internet charge. While your perspective is highly valued, complimentary Internet is always available in our lobby. Your review is appreciated and we hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I would recommend this hotel because of its great location but I have some reservations, although I would stay there again. It is imperative that you obtain a harbor view room at one of the higher floors because the view of the Navy ships and cranes will be wonderful. We stayed in such a room after first being put in a room on floor 2 where a tree totally blocked the view and it made the room dark. Also, that room had a connecting door to another room Where we immediately heard a baby cry. The staff was very helpful and changed our room promptly upon request. A few minor problems were that it was difficult to find vending machines with water on every floor and only decaf coffee was available in the room. However, complimentary coffee was available in the lobby in the morning. Wifi is not free. We did not eat in the restaurant but it does have a lovely harbor view.Like many hotels, the gym is very small and the outdoor pool is adequate.

Room Tip: Harbor view at a higher floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

First, we'd like to thank you for your recommendation, as it is truly appreciated. We have to agree that the views from our suites can be truly breathtaking and we are happy to see that this was such a highlight of your trip. We regret any issues with the coffee in your room and will notify housekeeping about this concern. Thank you for sharing your perspective and impressions with us. We are grateful for your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here at the end of May and beginning of June. A Navy squadron reunion. Perfect location overlooking the General Dynamics shipyard across the Elizabeth River.
The food at the restaurant wasn't too bad for breakfast, but expensive. The other meals didn't look very appetizing. There are several chains next door: Outback, Hooters on the water, and Joes Crab Shack on the water.
The wifi is impossible to connect to on iphone or iPad in the lobby (the free one), and when you do connect, you lose it because the signal is so weak. Even the $9.95/day wifi is not a strong one. Very frustrating. I'd hate to be here on business unless I had a computer with Ethernet.
The people are nice, and they are helpful.
We opted to hang a sign on the door stating we didn't want housecleaning services, do we get either a $5 voucher or 500 SPG points for every day.
A great location for a hotel. Easy to walk to restaurants, too: ones other than the chains.

• Stayed: May 2013

We'd first like to thank you for submitting your beautiful traveler photos! It was our pleasure to accommodate you during this special event and we appreciate you reaching out and sharing your impressions with us. We deeply apologize for any inconveniences with our Internet and have taken note of your concerns. Thank you for pointing out the many dining options located just a few steps away from us. We regret if our restaurant menu was not to your liking. We understand that our sea-based cuisine may not be everyone's taste and we appreciate your constructive feedback. Thank you for your review and for choosing to conserve water with our Make a Green Choice program. We hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful! 5 stars for the staff! But I left feeling nickel and dimed to death. The hotel location was great, the rooms were comfortable. The rooms were clean, my only comment would be that they didnt smell fresh.. kind of slightly musty but not where it was something to worry about just made a very nice, new decor, nice bedding, upgraded bathroom seem "older". Parking was terrible for me, traveling with kids and a lot of daily gear to have to walk so far and through another building and down to a parking garage, paying for parking daily, validating parking daily, standing in line at the hotel to validate daily was a pain and will keep me from staying here again. If parking is not an issue for you or you dont mind the $22 per day valet and paying $10 per day for internet ..then this hotel is a great stay!

Room Tip: Ask if there is a pet free floor, we had a dog barking constantly across the hall.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

I'd first like to express my gratitude and heartfelt thank you for your review and kind recognition of our staff. Your five-star rating is truly appreciated! Regarding the rest of your visit, we deeply regret any inconveniences or difficulties that you may have experienced while staying with us. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding our services. Please keep in mind that complimentary Internet is always available in our lobby. We would like the opportunity to welcome you back and hope you'll check out our great savings packages available on our website. Thank you for your perspective and valuable feedback. It is truly appreciated and always welcome.