WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Norfolk
Catonsville, Maryland
“Bait and Switch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

My experience at this hotel was very disappointing. I reserved and pre-paid for two rooms at the Sheraton. One was a handicap assessable room, for my 77 yr old father that uses a walker to ambulate. On April 9, 2013 I contacted the hotel and spoke with Marquita, who confirmed the handicap room, for a one night stay for April 13, 2013. On April 12th I spoke with Charlotte to confirm, which she did. On the day of my father’s and my arrival I contacted the hotel at 1pm indicating that we would not arrive until after 6pm. I spoke with Charmaine who stated that she personally did the room check and confirmed the handicap room and assured me that our rooms will be ready, and are guaranteed because I had pre-paid for the rooms. My dad and I arrived at 6:30pm to discover our rooms had been given away, and the hotel was fully booked. The front desk clerk, Tori stared at the computer screen I assumed waiting for something to magically happen. I asked to speak to the manager, and he Front Desk Supervisor Mr. Shohn Horton responded. Mr. Horton apologized, after I told him what his staff had assured me regarding the rooms, and that I was disappointed with the service. My dad and I had been traveling all day and he required special accommodations and the Sheraton staff gave away the specific room we requested and paid for. It took 2 hours for Mr. Horton to get my father settled in his room, after he had to approach the guest who was in the handicap room and this guest did not require these accommodations. This would not have happened had the Sheraton not played the game of Bait and Switch. Travelers with special needs beware.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Rosa B
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
On behalf of our staff, I'd like to extend my apologies for any inconveniences that you and your father experienced at our hotel. We understand how essential these special accommodations were for you and the length of time it took for our staff to resolve the issue is unacceptable. We highly value our guests and always strive to meet their special requests and needs when possible. We truly regret that your experience did not reflect the high standards we wish to provide and we hope you'll allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Sheraton is located in downtown Norfolk. Within walking distance to restaurants, shopping and nightlife. The property is directly on the waterfront (River/harbor) with scenic views.
As stated in previous reviews; the parking is about a "City Block" away. I did find the drive up check in area to be great for loading and unloading luggage. (Valet parking is offered for $22 a night/self park for $12 in garage).
The property is an older hotel but very well maintained with most modern comforts. I found this hotel to be very quiet, AC worked great and rooms clean and tasteful. The "Dream beds" lived up to the hype on the website.....very comfortable.
This property is Pet Friendly and currently does not charge a Fee. (Will return to this Hotel for the Pet friendly and affordability).
Breakfast at "City Dock" was Excellent; choose the full Buffet if hungry. Coffee is provided in the lobby in the morning at No Charge...Another great feature. The staff was very friendly and helpful; especially the Bell hops out front. I did not use the Pool, as it is outdoors and seasonal. I will return to this property when in the Norfolk area. Great place for a relaxing weekend getaway! Overall a well managed property....and it shows.

Room Tip: Waterfront for views, City views for lower rates. Avoid rooms by elevators (Noisy)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 95traveler
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
What a lovely review of our property. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, as it's wonderful to read so many positive comments in one review. We are very delighted to learn that you already planning to return and we look forward to welcoming you back.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very clean and courtesy staff. Hotel was nice room very nice on the small size it was very tight in the room the bed was very comfortable. The parking was not good. Even though there was a valet it was hectic as well. It was a big busy weekend and there was too many cars for the little bit of valets that was available.

2 Thank sduell
While we're pleased that you enjoyed your stay, we regret any difficulties that you experienced with our parking. We can understand your frustration and hope any inconveniences were minimal during your time with us. Thank you for sharing your impressions of our hotel and we hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel the next time you are in the area.
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

A very good hotel, parking was $12 a night. Room wasa bit on the small side, but not crowded. Everything was super clean, lobby is becoming outdated though. I'd stay here again. We didn't try any of the in-house restaurants

• 4 of 5 bubbles
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We hope you’ll have the opportunity to enjoy our City Dock Restaurant during your next visit! Thank you for sharing your review and impressions with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night when we were in town for a concert. The front desk staff was super friendly and helpful. They printed directions out for us twice so we could get where we were going. The room was very clean and well appointed. We chose to park in the parking deck next to the hotel rather than paying for the valet parking. I don't really know why people reviewing this make it sound like you have to walk a country mile to get to your car. It is right beside the hotel, well-lit, and safe. We got a great deal on Priceline, and would happily return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for making us your hotel of choice while in town for the concert. We pride ourselves on offering exceptional customer service and it’s always a pleasure to learn when we deliver on that promise. We’re glad that our convenient location to the nearby parking garage worked out so perfectly for your stay and we look forward to your return to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I absolutely love this location.
My husband and I have stayed at the Sheraton Waterside a number of times.
We are both originally from the area and know first hand that this is one of the best hotels in the area. We have never been disappointed with our room and the customer service is always top notch.

Our most recent stay was just a month ago and once again we were not disappointed.
My husband wanted to surprise me with with a few gifts in the room. Several employees went above and beyond to help ensure that things were set up exactly as he wanted them. Even making sure that things that needed to be refrigerated were taken care of while we were away. This type of service is what keeps us coming back.

The rooms are always very clean and the beds, oh my goodness. I really wish I could take one of them home with me in my suitcase. The beds are so very comfortable. We always end up with the need to call the front desk the next morning in hopes that we can be granted a late check out because we just hate to have to leave those beds.

The rooms with the view of the River and Downtown Portsmouth are great and provide such a relaxing atmosphere at night by opening the curtain to allow the glow from the light to enter the room.

The only thing I would like to see change would maybe be the room decor.
Its can be a little dull however as I previously stated the rooms are clean and comfortable so the decor is no deal breaker for me.

The location is great. I love that Macarthur Mall is just a few blocks away.
There are also a ton of other restaurants in the area.

The parking is another story. The Valet servce is a bit on the expensive side however the service that they provide is great so we dont complain.
There is a parking garage that can be used but during the winter months, that walk can seem much longer than it actually is when trying to make it from that garage, down the street, and back to the hotel as the wind blows over the cold river water. So this is another reason we go ahead and dish out the money for the valet service.

Room Tip: Request a room one of the higher floors with a view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
As a loyal guest to our hotel, we can’t thank you enough for taking the time to share your recent stay with us. It’s wonderful to read so many positive comments regarding our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Beds! Your honest feedback regarding our room decor is truly appreciated and will be taken into consideration for the future. We are delighted that we were able to once again live up to your expectations of our services and we hope you’ll have the opportunity to stay with us again. It’s always our pleasure to welcome you to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night during the motorcycle event and at te same time a marine ball. Boy, there was a lot of people! Especially the motorcycle people smoking their lungs out outside of of the hotel since the hotel is smoke free.

I thought I was not going to be able to sleep, but I'm glad the hotel out big signs on each floor by the elevator reminding. The group not to make noise at night. It was not noise free during the night, but it could have been worst.

The rooms are very comfortable with a large king bed and very comfortable pillows. Best so far.
Glad to know the hotel provides two complimentary bottle of water. The room had an oversized red lounge chair. The bathrooms are small and tight. Nice counter space, but maybe it took away from the actual bathroom space

I read one of the reviews that the hotel had a restaurant and room service, but there was no menus in the room and mine didnt have one.

The hotel is right by the water and a few restaurant just a few blocks away with a mall across the street.

If the motorcycle people were not at the hotel I probably would have enjoy te amines of the hotel better. But I guess every group has to have a place to meet even thought is bothersome to others. Ill ask around next time around for any events.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your perspective with us though we deeply regret any inconveniences or noise disruptions that may have impacted your time with us. We do try our best to minimize the noise level on each floor to ensure that all of our guests receive a good night's rest. Since we are a smoke-free property, we try to offer plenty of outdoor space for those guests who choose to smoke and truly regret if you experienced inconveniences during this time. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and please accept our apologies if our restaurant menu was not available in your room. We hope that we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown
SpringHill Suites Norfolk Virginia Beach
Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!