“A pleasant surprise.”

Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
new york
“A pleasant surprise.”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

just got back in from staying in Norfolk, Virginia at the Sheraton Waterfront. I have to admit that I did read the reviews before leaving and I was a bit worried. Some of the things that were said in previous reviews about the rooms being paper thin are true, but I didnt find the furnishings in my room to be dated. I did have a room, directly on the waterfront (kudos!) where I am assuming that the ship that was there was the Wisconsin. It was relaxing to say the least to view the water and the small boats chugging by every day when I stepped out onto the private balcony.
Breakfast was around $14 plus tax for all you can eat buffet. Pasteries (another option for breakfast) were around $9 etc. Room service for one, cost around $30. Food was good, but not what I ordered. I am easy to please so that was fine. I was hungry anyway. I took my friend here for breakfast, because they werent serving anything much at the Marriott (she was staying there) which was across the street. She said that she enjoyed it. Thank you to my wonderful server Sandra B who did a fabulous job in making sure that we were well taken care of while we were there! Thanks Sandra for a job well done!
The staff at the front desk were nice and we didnt have a problem to check in. The only problem that we had was that there was a family reunion while we were there, and the talking in the hallways of the family members and the kids in the lobby were a bit much, but I do have to understand, it was a REUNION - a family get together. The towels were not there last nite, we called, but they were never delivered. we called again this morning, and they were delivered within five minutes, and some one called soon after to double check that we were satisfied. we were..
For those who may be planning on visiting the area, the Marriott is across the street, about two blocks up.($26 for valet parking) The Renaissance, I could see, and it was a bit of a ways away. As for the Courtyard Marriott, I saw Plume Street, but couldnt locate the property. I have to throw this in because I needed to find out where these properties were in relationship to the Marriott where I was originally trying to book but they, the Marriott were all sold out.
Overall, I would say that the Sheraton was a nice surprise. I booked using hotwire.com and I think that I lucked out immensely. This place was clean and nicely appointed, and yes, I would choose to stay here again!

Room Tip: ask for the waterfront side so that u can get a room with waterfront access
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for your detailed review! It is great to hear you and your friend enjoyed our breakfast selection and your compliments will be passed along to your server. Our hotel offers one of the best locations in downtown Norfolk with the added benefit of beautiful water views and we’re glad you enjoyed these features. We feel fortunate as well that you found your way to us and look forward to seeing you again at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Not exactly thrilled with our stay at this hotel. As a starwood platinum member, I have stayed at several sheratons. This one has a long way to go.

The room was tired and worn. The furniture had seen it better days, and the walls in desperate need of paint.

The connecting door to the neighbouring room was paper thin, and we were woken up 2am when the people next door came home. Had to listen to their drunken party-talk for hours. It was as they actually were in our room - the hotel really need to isolate the connecting doors better.

Called for an extra duvet three times - 3pm, 6pm and 10pm. Was told "yes, we will bring one to you" the first two times. The last time, they just said that they were out of duvets. Yes, thats right. The hotel was supposedly out of extra duvets. Sure.

The pool was nice, but small and occupied by A LOT of kids.

Did also have some noise issues related to people (and housekeeping) coming and going and slamming their doors. A decent hotel would install dampeners on the doors.

On the positive side, the hotel did compensate us some starwood points when writing a complaint. And the people at the front desk was nice.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jens h
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
It is upsetting to hear you were disappointed as a Starwood Platinum member. We apologize for any disturbances you experienced during your stay. Please understand your comments are very important to us and we will look into the issues you mentioned. It seems we may have missed the opportunity to encourage a return visit with us, but hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Chevy Chase, MD
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Have stayed at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside several times. While it seems to be isolated at first glance, it is actually convenient for downtown and to an excellent shopping mall as well as some decent restaurants. I was traveling on business, so got the government rate which is exceptional value and includes a continental breakfast. Hotel is right on the water and some rooms have small balcony where you can watch the tug boats work the harbor. The hotel restaurant is pretty commercial-looking but the food is surprisingly good and the bar is excellent. Restaurant staff is friendly and efficient and Rusty, the bartender, makes great drinks and is good company.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Beachb214
Our business travelers are greatly appreciated and we are glad you enjoyed the special government package. It sounds like you found the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel’s close location to many great activities a plus as do many of our guests. The next time you are in Norfolk we hope to welcome you back to enjoy more good food and good company at our City Dock Restaurant.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I'm just going to go straight into the pros and cons on this one.

PROS:
- Nice looking lobby
- Business area nice
- Good walking distance from some restaurants (e.g. Outback, Joes Crab shack, Hooters, etc)

CONS:
- Staff not very knowledgeable. Had a lot of trouble checking in.
- Not completely clean room. Items for another guest were left in room. Cups outside of room and welcome envelope for someone else in my room
- Nickel and Dime you for quite a bit. We had Club level room which included free coupon for breakfast. When we got downstairs they said we can have the "free" breakfast which includes just the pastries and such but if we wanted any of the "hot" items, we would need to pay extra. So advertising is deceiving.
- Self-Parking was too far away. Was in the next building over and was $12/day.

Overall Impression:
I would not stay here again. There is Marriott across the street that looked better and seemed like it had parking on site. The view from the room was nice but that was about it. Take your money somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try to book the club level if you do decide to stay.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
It is unfortunate that your impression was not what we would hope for our guests when staying at our hotel. It is our priority to provide the best in service and hospitality and it’s disappointing to learn we did not exceed your expectations. Our management and housekeeping staff will be made aware of the issues you mentioned so we can fix them for future guests. We apologize if there was any confusion about the free breakfast coupons and will make that clearer for other guests as well. We hope you will give us a chance in the future to amend your impression of us.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Like most Sheratons, this property provides the excellent illusion of customer service. However, if possible, when in the Norfolk area I would stay elsewhere.

As other commenters have pointed out, the restaurant is awful. The servers in the restaurant are ill dressed, and the server tucked in her shirt while she was talking to me and serving my coffee...I'm not a prude or overly fussy, I have eaten at roadside stands in Mexico - but I expect more when I am paying $15 for breakfast. The food was what I would expect of a Motel 6 buffet - the individually packaged bread slices were a nice touch.

There is no free parking near the hotel. There is no parking other than valet parking - the nearest garage is about a block away, and not practical for a traveler - despite what the valets tell you. The valet parking seemed unnecessary, given the small number of cars that were parked there when I was staying there. Just another "service" that Sheraton provides.

The internet is not free in the hotel - and it is wired. And it doesn't work. Sheraton, when a staff member is told that something doesn't work, the correct response is not to tell the customer that they are at fault, or to argue with the customer.

You may want to have 2 people staff the desk rather than having two valets. And giving the valet his performance evaluation in front of the customers is not wise - When I hear that the valet has problems with speed - it makes me nervous.

Finally, allowing the woman from Norfolk City to perform a survey in the lobby when guests are trying to check out - stupid on both counts - Sheraton and The City of Norfolk. I explained to her that her data was going to be bad, and that she was interrupting people trying to check out of the hotel, she shrugged....

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Jacob J
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
It is truly disappointing that this is the impression you were left with after staying with us. Customer service is extremely important to us and we regret that your stay did not meet your expectations. We apologize for the difficulties experienced with the internet service and are truly disappointed that this was not handled more appropriately at the time. Your feedback will be shared with our management team, as input such as yours is valuable as we continue to enhance our service experience. Thank you for giving us this opportunity by sharing your feedback. We hope you will reconsider a future stay with us.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Stayed here for work. Put me on the club floor, which was nice- I guess. But the rooms are dated and the walls are very very thin. I can hear everything that went on in the adjacent rooms. To make it worse, my neighbor checked out during the middle of my stay but apparently left their alarm clock on...set for midnight! I had to call the front desk to come up and turn it off. Bathtub was also dirty- could use a good scrubbing. It is walking distance to restaurants and the office if you're working close, but if I had a choice I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011
Our business travelers are greatly appreciated and we regret that your stay with us was not more enjoyable. Your comments are important to us and will be shared with our housekeeping staff to ensure that each room is at its best for our guests. We know the value of a good night’s sleep, so should you consider a future stay with us, please don’t hesitate to let us know of any issues or concerns so that we may attend to them immediately. We want your stay to be comfortable and relaxing while providing all the amenities to make your stay with us truly enjoyable. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Rome, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Family trip /vacation totally enjoyed our stay very comfortable beds clean rooms service was excellent Staff very helpful and very attenative to our needs ! I have to say the staff at the hotel took the initiative and actually anticipated our needs even before we asked for something and that was really appreciated ! We really enjoyed the pool met many new friends . I have to say it was a very busy weekend I saw a wedding and a couple family reunions that were staying at the hotel a[ full house] and there was no lack in the service with all that we noticed going on . The gym was clean and equipment well maintain used it every night along with my family we were all training for a road race the fallowing week so it was very convienant to have the tread mills and to not have the worries of my kids running in a strange neighborhood . I have 2 teenagers and felt very comfortable with them walking around the hotel felt the hotel was safe. enough staff in public areas for safety. IT was a great vacation alot to do right at hotel and cant wait to go back !

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kelly s
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Norfolk, Virginia is a great location for a family vacation and the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel is in the middle of all the action. We’re so glad that the gym offered an opportunity for the family to train together and we wish everyone luck during the road race. Your kind comments about our staff are appreciated and will be passed along to them. We will be excited to welcome you and your family back on your next family getaway!