“Forgettable.....”

Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Smyrna, Delaware
“Forgettable.....”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I checked into this location for one night; exhausted after driving down from Fredericksburg in a storm so I opted for room service. Room service was promptly delivered and was very good. The room was just ok. Big water issue and I gave up trying to get hot water out of the sink faucet. The shower was fine. I opted for breakfast in the am in the on premise Max and Ermas and barely enjoyed breakfast because it was so stifling hot in the restaurant. There is a refrigerator in the room and a safe. Cherie was helpful at check-in. Basically, a forgettable stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
LeeS680, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for your comments!! Unfortunately we were experiencing difficulties with our Restaurant AC, that situation has now been rectified. We have checked the room that you stayed in and have repaired the hot water situation as well. Even though you have stated that your stay was forgettable, please contact me directly the next time that you are in town and I will make sure you have a rewarding experience!

Lee Severino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
United States
Reviewed July 17, 2014

The Double Tree/Hilton was very clean and quiet. For the price it was good or a little above average. The only breakfast available was in the restaurent which takes too much time. Also the only coffee available was in the restaurent at the restaurent prices. This is nearly disqualifying. Overall clean, quiet, very courtious staff. Pleasent stay except for the coffee witdrawal symptoms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I appreciate your review! As we offer a full buffet for quick access for guests that are in a rush, we have also rolled out a cook to order omelet station so that you can get your eggs any style immediately. We additionally have a complimentary coffee station at the end of the bar for our guests’ enjoyment to ensure Caffeine withdrawal symptoms are minimized. I look forward to meeting you in your next visit; I will make sure there is additional coffee in your room upon your arrival.

New Galilee, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2014

was not impressed that the house cleaning just walked into the room and did not knock. we had to ask for some clean towels and the trash cans were never emptied. the downstairs restroom were VERRY Dirty. we were locked out of our rooms for our 2nd night stay and had to have them turn our keys back on. will think twice about using the hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I appreciate your review; I cannot make a difference without these types of details. I have discussed the lack of knocking and your cleanliness concerns with my Director of Housekeeping. We have counseled the individual(s) that entered and reiterated the importance to the team! As you are unsure as to if you would stay here again, I could only ask that you do try us again in the future!

Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed one night to be closer to the airport before leaving on vacation to avoid base traffic. The hotel is beautifully decorated. The bed was comfy. The bathroom was slightly small. The shower was nice and the towels large. The front desk staff were professional & polite.
The problem we encountered (which is typical of most hotels) is the walls are PAPER THIN. Our "neighbors" were extremely loud (it sounded like there were 6-10 people in one room) until well after mid-night. This did not bode well for us since we had to be up at 2:30 a.m. to be at the airport by 3:30 a.m. We could hear conversations from the room beside us & above us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I apologize for your lack of sleep! We have made changes to our overnight coverage to ensure a peaceful nights rest. Our staff will immediately respond to any concerns as well as the standard floor checks. Please reach out to me directly the next time that you are in town and I will make sure that you have a room at the end of the corridor and on a floor that does not have groups.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend for a nearby family gathering, and traveled alone. Having flown all day across the country, I was very pleased with the warm and professional greeting by the Front Desk personnel. They were helpful and efficient. And I got my cookie.

I was less pleased with the overall hotel. I'd booked the hotel's best room/suite, which was admittedly huge but sparsely furnished. The mini kitchen was great, nice fridge and decent coffee. I liked having an in-room safe and there was plenty of closet space. The flat screen tv easily swiveled from the living area to the sleeping area.

But the overall look and feel of the room was mediocre and cheap. This hotel did not have the standard two-room suites I am used to with the Doubletree brand. The bathroom was barely big enough for one, much less the four people that my room was advertised to hold The bathroom door could not be closed if the toilet seat was down (not kidding, i think it was due to round bwith matched w/oval seat). The king bed sagged at the edge of the side everyone apparently sleeps on. Two lights were out when I arrived (they were quickly replaced). I had to call twice for foam pillows that had been requested online prior to arrival.

The biggest problem was the front door. It opened outward, which meant I could not use a doorstop or even use a chair to prevent entry. When fully closed, the double door had an open space of at least 1/2" -- I did NOT feel safe. The noise from the hallway was unrelenting (WHY do so many vacationing parents allow their children to run wild through the hallways of hotels?). I might have asked to be moved but I knew the hotel was full for the first two of my three night stay.

The food options were also problematic. The room service menu sounded delicious, but the first three items I selected were unavailable. The poor girl on the phone eventually gave up and brought me a menu from the on-site restaurant, Max & Erma's. My eventual order from that menu was very good. In the morning, I wandered downstairs rather than trying the room service menu again. I found a standard buffet and helped myself --not realizing that the price of the buffet was not included with my room. My fault, i was happy to pay -- but I thought $15 was exorbitant for what I got.

Unfortunately, I would not recommend this hotel due to the safety issues I had with the room.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Ellipooh
Seminole, Florida
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Loved the room with the fridge and safe, but the hallways did not have air. Debbie at the front desk was very nice, but obviously had too much to deal with. I desperately needed to borrow a pair of scissors, went to the front desk three times, apparently someone else had borrowed the only pair and not returned them. A man who seemed to be in maintenance, and he also drove the shuttle, stepped up and helped me by going upstairs to the offices to find a pair. The shuttle is a nice service. The restaurant has absolutely horrible service. We ate their for lunch and it took forever to get our salads. Then at dinner our table of five sat down and we waited at least twenty minutes before our waitress came over to offer to take our drink order. She had been too busy clearing tables in the other room. She just caught us before we walked out. Better management is needed here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Cheryl F
Fairfax County, Virginia
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Very nicely renovated facility. Formerly a full scale Hilton, the staff & management still treats the guest as such. Rooms are very well furnished and maintained, From the moment we arrived until we departed the staff provided top notch friendly service. The entire hotel is very well maintained, neat, clean and it was a pleasure to stay there. We were attending a Ship's Reunion, as such the services provided to our group was above and beyond the call to duty. On our 1st full day upon returning from our tour of the Naval facilities, we were welcomed back to the Hotel by the staff waving flags and giving us a hardy cheer "Thank You for Your Service". (Photo attached). The hotel provided local van service to both the airport and close-in shopping/eating establishments. Mac & Erma's Restaurant on site (separate review)

Room Tip: I booked 3 rooms - 1 family 2 Queen beds on 2nd floor & 2 adjoining King rooms on the 5th floor...