“Impressed During Hurricane Sandy Stay”

Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We ended up having to stay here during Hurricane Sandy and were most impresssed by the staff, whom we commend for their professionalism and hospitality. Our double room faced a courtyard and had very high ceilings. The hotel itself was far nicer than we expected. The room had a fridge and was very clean and well-decorated with new looking decor. Loved the lay out of this hotel. It is connected to another hotel-Quality Inn and is a convention hotel. It had a small but well-stocked convenience store, and a restaurant and as previous posters have remarked, the best-stocked free breakfast we've ever seen at a Choice Hotel. Delicious! We felt pent up during the storm so enjoyed walking tot eh front desk for coffe and down the long hallways for a stretch and we also utilized the work out center and wanted to try out the indoor pool. They are a pet friendly hotel, who offered free dog biscuits for the taking. Every staff member we encountered was very friendly and helpful! Thank you so much for helping us feel comfortable during a rough two days! Note: Many Utility trucks from out of the area stayed here, too.

Room Tip: If travelling through Virginia Beach/Norfolk, this could be a good hotel pick--just know it is not i...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pam G
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank so much for your comments, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Sorry it was for the the hurricane, hope all was well when your returned home. We look forward to seeing you again for your vacation.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is a reasonably clean and comfortable hotel that is convenient to Norfolk, Virginia Beach and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. The room was nice, and the hot breakfats was the best I have ever had at a Choice Brand hotel. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FSB47
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thanks for staying with us at the Lake Wright. We included the full breakfast for our guest in both of our hotels for a better guest value and a better guest experience. We are glad you like it, hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We paid $89 plus tax for a night stay there during labor day weekend, which was an okay price, but for $20 more I could probably get a hotel much closer to the beach. When you book your hotel, think of travel costs to the beach and parking there ($20 a day), because it adds up and staying at the beach might be the same price as staying further away.
The hotel was okay. I did not like that I could smell smoke in the lobby and in the stairs....No elevator as well. They did provide free breakfast but it took me an hour in the line to get to it....The AC in the room was also very loud. Otherwise, I have no complains. I would stay on the beach next time though, it's a better vacation experience, than staying here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments and for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Yes we are close enough to make traveling to the beach convenient and less costly. On a busy weekend the cost of a beach room might be as much as 50% higher. Thanks again for stay at the Lake Wright.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We liked the location and the outside appearance and thought we’d give it a try. It was the first time anyone in our group had stayed at a Sleep Inn. We didn’t have a reservation but rooms were available. The Handicap room offered a king bed, a large bathroom with a roomy walk-in shower with a bench. We noted there were several handicap rooms near the lobby which was very convenient. The second room had two queen beds and a small bathroom with shower only (no problem with that). Everything in both rooms appeared clean and nothing was noted that needed updating.
There was an adjoining Quality Inn and it appeared that the outdoor, large, enclosed pool was for both hotels. I noted quite a few families at both hotels.
There was a restaurant on site and although there were not a lot of diners in it we were very pleasantly surprised by the fare. The meal was a little pricier than I was hoping but everyone in our party was very pleased. Each of us ordered a different entre. The portions were generous, very well prepared and presented. If I lived in that area I would go back there for dinner knowing that the meal would be worth the $$'s.
At check-in we were given vouchers for the free breakfast bar which was located in the onsite restaurant. The breakfast buffet offered a nice variety of both hot and cold foods as well as fresh fruit.

Room Tip: The handicap rooms are conveniently located near the lobby and offer easy access.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Soospig
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you choose to stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Upon check-in, the hotel clerk asks why none of the king bed rooms are clean; that's terrible because WE had a king bed room! But she checks us in anyway and hopes for the best. Luckily, that worked itself out. There were creepy people in the hallway on the first floor, so taking an elevator to the second floor was scary. Upon our arrival to the room, I check for bed bugs. Luckily, there was none. We left and ate dinner, then came back to the same creepy people walking in the halls. Then, I tried to fall asleep that night, but we heard the hispanic couple next door talking in their normal inside voices, so the walls were paper thin. We got the heck out of there the next morning to drive 8 hours back home.

The only way this hotel is comfortable and enjoyable is if you were the only ones on the floor. I read these reviews before booking, and I don't thinking anyone is being truthful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

We are truly sorry that you found our other guests creepy. You can't control everything. We think the reviews are clear. We have faults, we work to fix them. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Knowing that I was going to be arriving late and leaving fairly early on a recent family trip to the Norfolk area, my primary concern was cost whilst looking for somewhere that served a decent breakfast. On those two factors alone, this Sleep Inn deserves 5 stars. It compares very well with other local hotels at the same price point ($85) and the breakfast is excellent given that it is the usual minimal style buffet lay out - at least equivalent to a Hampton Inn for those of you familiar with that brand.

The rooms were fine but you need to acept that the rooms with two beds are twins, not queens. The beds are not big enough to sleep two adults if you have more than 2 in a room, so expect to be cramped with two in the bed or go with two rooms for 3 or more. My wife's parents had two in a King bed so obviously no problem there.

My biggest beef was the aircon. My son wanted me to turn it off as it was so noisy when it kicked in but August in Virginia is not a good nights sleep without aircon. We left it on and guess what, we were all woken up every hour or so when the aircon came on so the quality of sleep was poor anyway.

This hotel is pretty well run (you can tell by the fact that the manager takes the time to respond to the comments) and good value. Shame about the noisy air conditioining.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with less A/C noise. Another comment said higher floors have less A/C nois...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments, we are glad you stayed with us. You are correct, when it is in the 90's, the air conditioners do work over time. For those of us who have central air at home it is difficult for some to ignore the unit coming on all night long. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast, it is our full hot buffet that we share with our Quality Suites. Thanks again for you comments, hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was a little leery about this place when I read the reviews but all in all it was fine, we only stayed over night but it was comfortable and clean.

You get tickets to enjoy a full breakfast but my boyfriend and I just went out because the lines for the food were very long and we needed to get on the road.

I'd stay again if I am forced to come back to the area :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your comments. We do try to meet all our guests needs. I would guess you were here on a weekend and I must apologize for the breakfast wait. We serve our full breakfast from 7-10am on the weekends, but with no hurry; many, many of our guest wait until 9:30. Weekends at Virginia Beach without lines or waits is norm. We continue to work on ways to accommodate our guests better on a daily basis. We do hope you visit us again, we appreciate you staying with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
0 mi away
5 mi away
Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Norfolk Virginia Beach
Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base

Been to Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport? Share your experiences!