WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport

Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Norfolk
elizabeth city, nc
“Convenient, comfortable with great airport access”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We live about 90 minutes away, so trying to catch a 5 am flight to the west coast (or returning at midnight and having to be at work the next day) is practically impossible if we do not stay near the airport. That's why we stay here regularly. The room is always clean and comfortable.

They have a park and fly package, which saves the airport parking fee. Just tell the desk when you check in what time you need the shuttle to the terminal, and they will take you for free. They will pick you up when you return.

The rooms can be small, but not cramped. The free breakfast consists of muffins, bagels, etc, with fruit and yogurt. And I have occasionally been awakened by other guests, but that happens in $300 motels. It is not the Waldorf-Astoria, and it doesn't claim to be. Norfolk is home to the world's largest navy base, so there can be lots of military and their families coming and going. And people stay here in the summer rather than paying twice the rate at Virginia Beach.

Overall, it is a good value for the money, and it is very convenient for our purposes.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank weeksvillejoe
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for staying with us, we are glad you enjoyed your visit and our full hot breakfast usually not found at a Sleep Inn. Join us again, we appreciate your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Ferrum, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Had a wonderful stay! The hotel was clean, staff extremely pleasant,courteous and professional. Had issues with the room safe not working, reported it and maintenance was quick to repair it. With temperatures in the triple digits my entire stay, on the second day, AC unit was not working properly in my room and again maintenance was called and came up in an appropriate time. The problem was not able to be resolved,and I requested a room change, which was handled swiftly! Thank you!!! I enjoyed the breakfast menu also, food was good! Lenore is wonderful and does an excellent job!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Leigh K
, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for your visit and your kind words. We hope to see you again in the future.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Arrived around 10 pm, Friday, June 15, 2012 to a busy front desk but the line was quickly handled for easy check-in booked online. The room was compact yet felt spacious. Being pet friendly I was able to take my grand dog who was visiting with me. Everything was clean with nice room amenities including a frig and safe. Plenty of hot water. Pillows fluffy and plentiful. The hot buffet breakfast was a nice surprise with plenty of options for all. We didn't get the chance to try the pool but it was inviting, completely covered. Our time in the hotel was short but we wouldn't hesitate to return. Value for the dollar was good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dpguin
, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you staying with us, we appreciate your comments and hope to see you agan.
Fort Myers, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Expensive place to stay, had to have my sheets changes once I got there as there was hair on them. Real turn off but no place to go because it was prepaid in advance. Lots of noise in the halls. Place was sold out, coffee room was very dirty, business room was without a/c and the internet did not work. Would not stay there again, probably keep my $100 plus dollars and sleep in the car, would of beena better value expecially with the sheets..

Room Tip: Lots of noise on the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
We are indeed sorry you were disappointed with your stay. We are glad we were able to fix the problem with your bedding and we did get the Internet, that was knock out by storms, repaired on Saturday. This was a very busy weekend for every hotel near a beach and though we may try we do not always please everyone all the time. Again, thanks for your comments, we learn to do better by them.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

When I arrived on Friday June 22, 2012 there were a lot of people outside and in the lobby so I had high hopes, but as I waited to even get a room at 6pm the people in the lobby seemed to get louder and louder and they weren't leaving as I initially thought. Once I was finally given a room I walked in the room and immediately took the floral bedspreads off the beds, those types of bedspreads are usually not cleaned daily, weekly, or monthly. Then I walked over to the sink to find 4 ants crawling around in the sink, that I killed. After that I also saw another ant crawling on the night stand. I went to the front desk and asked if the hotel had a history of ants. I was asked if I wanted another room by the front desk representative that was at the desk at the moment, but then the front desk representative that checked me in initially informed that there wasn't another room with two beds available and she offered to bring down a can of ant spray. She indeed brought down the spray and that evening, when more ants were spotted, I sprayed the entire perimeter of the room and around each bed.

Besides the ants the room was clean, but the walls were paper thin. I could hear the TV, clearly, in the next room. My sister could even hear my shoes as I walked down the hallway.

Upon checkout my sister informed the front desk representative on duty of our ant situation. She was very apologetic and informed us that they had been doing well at keeping the ants under control over the last few months. As a result she gave us a discount on the room. All in all not the worst hotel stay I have had, but defiantly not the best!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments, they are important to us. The ants had been controlled by our pest control contractor up until we had day after day of temperatures in the 90's and almost a full hotel every day. They are working on it as I type. As for the crowds I can only say, it is one of the busiest weekend of the year and fortunately we were full. We do appreciate you comments and do hope you visit again.
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

Typical Choice hotel with 1980's decor. Could stand a facelift and things like new televisions, bathroom fixtures, etc. Nice, very large indoor pool if you are in to bathing with strangers. I have stayed at this hotel three times in the past few months. In the winter months, the AARP rate was $58 on the Choice website. In June, the rate jacked up to $80.10. It's 20 miles from the beach, fercrisakes!
The fitness room is a joke. The air conditioner was broke. The treadmill and stair-stepper have been inoperable for months, each time the front desk clerk has promised it would be fixed the next time. They still advertise they have a fitness room on the choice website. Not everyone likes to work out on a reclining bike. Disappointed that they fail to fix these things, and I suspect it is an indication of their overall attitude toward creating an exemplary hotel.

Hot breakfast was actually pretty good! The restaurant was deserted at dinner time.

I would suggest there are other better choices for business people in the area. Some Choice-affiliated, some not.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator. Lots of noise from late-night guests.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for your comments both positive and negative. Sorry about the fitness center, those pieces of equipment have to be repaired by outside sources and are not always as timely as needed.
We are indeed a vacation destination and demand does affect prices at all hotels in the area. We do thank you for staying with us and hope we will see you again.
Dexter, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Well we checked in at 12:30 last night and Romeo was very friendly and courteous and helpful... When we come in the room it was small... but clean and neat..and we are not planning on spending much time other than sleeping in our room... Beds were comfortable last night and sheets were clean!!!! So far so good... very economical.. and will finish out the weekend here...I was a little nervous when I read the reviews because you never know what you are getting when you book online... but so far we are pleased...Take all the reviews with a grain of salt... And any hotel I have ever been in you can hear doors open and close all night long... so ...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lori B
Thanks for your comments, we hope you did enjoy your stay.