“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Arrived around 10 pm, Friday, June 15, 2012 to a busy front desk but the line was quickly handled for easy check-in booked online. The room was compact yet felt spacious. Being pet friendly I was able to take my grand dog who was visiting with me. Everything was clean with nice room amenities including a frig and safe. Plenty of hot water. Pillows fluffy and plentiful. The hot buffet breakfast was a nice surprise with plenty of options for all. We didn't get the chance to try the pool but it was inviting, completely covered. Our time in the hotel was short but we wouldn't hesitate to return. Value for the dollar was good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank dpguin
, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you staying with us, we appreciate your comments and hope to see you agan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fort Myers, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Expensive place to stay, had to have my sheets changes once I got there as there was hair on them. Real turn off but no place to go because it was prepaid in advance. Lots of noise in the halls. Place was sold out, coffee room was very dirty, business room was without a/c and the internet did not work. Would not stay there again, probably keep my $100 plus dollars and sleep in the car, would of beena better value expecially with the sheets..

Room Tip: Lots of noise on the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
We are indeed sorry you were disappointed with your stay. We are glad we were able to fix the problem with your bedding and we did get the Internet, that was knock out by storms, repaired on Saturday. This was a very busy weekend for every hotel near a beach and though we may try we do not always please everyone all the time. Again, thanks for your comments, we learn to do better by them.

Travelers are raving about these Norfolk hotels

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

When I arrived on Friday June 22, 2012 there were a lot of people outside and in the lobby so I had high hopes, but as I waited to even get a room at 6pm the people in the lobby seemed to get louder and louder and they weren't leaving as I initially thought. Once I was finally given a room I walked in the room and immediately took the floral bedspreads off the beds, those types of bedspreads are usually not cleaned daily, weekly, or monthly. Then I walked over to the sink to find 4 ants crawling around in the sink, that I killed. After that I also saw another ant crawling on the night stand. I went to the front desk and asked if the hotel had a history of ants. I was asked if I wanted another room by the front desk representative that was at the desk at the moment, but then the front desk representative that checked me in initially informed that there wasn't another room with two beds available and she offered to bring down a can of ant spray. She indeed brought down the spray and that evening, when more ants were spotted, I sprayed the entire perimeter of the room and around each bed.

Besides the ants the room was clean, but the walls were paper thin. I could hear the TV, clearly, in the next room. My sister could even hear my shoes as I walked down the hallway.

Upon checkout my sister informed the front desk representative on duty of our ant situation. She was very apologetic and informed us that they had been doing well at keeping the ants under control over the last few months. As a result she gave us a discount on the room. All in all not the worst hotel stay I have had, but defiantly not the best!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your comments, they are important to us. The ants had been controlled by our pest control contractor up until we had day after day of temperatures in the 90's and almost a full hotel every day. They are working on it as I type. As for the crowds I can only say, it is one of the busiest weekend of the year and fortunately we were full. We do appreciate you comments and do hope you visit again.
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Typical Choice hotel with 1980's decor. Could stand a facelift and things like new televisions, bathroom fixtures, etc. Nice, very large indoor pool if you are in to bathing with strangers. I have stayed at this hotel three times in the past few months. In the winter months, the AARP rate was $58 on the Choice website. In June, the rate jacked up to $80.10. It's 20 miles from the beach, fercrisakes!
The fitness room is a joke. The air conditioner was broke. The treadmill and stair-stepper have been inoperable for months, each time the front desk clerk has promised it would be fixed the next time. They still advertise they have a fitness room on the choice website. Not everyone likes to work out on a reclining bike. Disappointed that they fail to fix these things, and I suspect it is an indication of their overall attitude toward creating an exemplary hotel.

Hot breakfast was actually pretty good! The restaurant was deserted at dinner time.

I would suggest there are other better choices for business people in the area. Some Choice-affiliated, some not.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator. Lots of noise from late-night guests.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for your comments both positive and negative. Sorry about the fitness center, those pieces of equipment have to be repaired by outside sources and are not always as timely as needed.
We are indeed a vacation destination and demand does affect prices at all hotels in the area. We do thank you for staying with us and hope we will see you again.
Dexter, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Well we checked in at 12:30 last night and Romeo was very friendly and courteous and helpful... When we come in the room it was small... but clean and neat..and we are not planning on spending much time other than sleeping in our room... Beds were comfortable last night and sheets were clean!!!! So far so good... very economical.. and will finish out the weekend here...I was a little nervous when I read the reviews because you never know what you are getting when you book online... but so far we are pleased...Take all the reviews with a grain of salt... And any hotel I have ever been in you can hear doors open and close all night long... so ...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lori B
Thanks for your comments, we hope you did enjoy your stay.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

For a budget hotel, it was pretty good. We took the kiddos and went on an impromptu trip to see OpSail and Harborfest. Hotel was clean, easy to find and had what we needed.

Ants were a bit of an issue in the room, but that is what happens when you have food in and out of rooms. After reading some reviews pre-trip, I did do a thorough bedbug check (none there).

Breakfast buffet. What can I say? It made my preteen son's trip. :-) Waffles, eggs, meat, potatos, cereal, fruit--much more variety than expected.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ManyTravelsWHusband
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you staying with us, we appreciate your comments and are glad to have been of service. We also hope your enjoyed OpSail 2012. You are so right about ants in hotels, they are transported in more than being home grown. It does keep the Orkin men busy in the spring and early summer. Again, thanks for traveling and stay with us, hope to see you again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Checked in to the hotel with $250 in a bank envelope. Bag NEVER left the room. Left for lunch @ 1:30 & returned @ 4:30 to find $100 missing! After talking to management they assured me that they had talked to the house keeper & she said she didn't steal anything. Um yeah .... Thieves usually are honest trust worthy people. Explain to me where the money went to?!?!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank WhitBowe
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
We are indeed sorry you had a such an experience with us. We do investigate all such complaints and have sworn officers as security to assist in maintaining the security of our property and our guest. We found no evidence of wrong doing, however we can pursue this further if you wish. Please call the hotel if you would like to.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
Quality Suites at Lake Wright
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#2 of 6 in Portsmouth
3.5 of 5 stars 58 reviews

Been to Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport? Share your experiences!