“Bring your own pillow, towels, comforter, free standing clothes hanger and ear plugs.....”

Econo Lodge Near Norfolk State University
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We have Farm Bureau insurance and recieved an organization discount better than AA or AARP for this hotel. However, we will never stay here again. It was clean enough, but needs a lot of updating on furniture, paint, and rugs. There was no place to hang clothes. No closet, no shelf with a bar below, no hooks on the walls....nothing. The ceiling above the tub had a water leak and the plaster was stained and coming apart. The towels were so thin they barely absorbed water and the 3 pillows were small and flat. there was no comforter on the bed, just a dingy blanket placed under the sheet, and a decorative runner on the bottom of the bed. The mattress had no support. The lamp shades were stained and so bare you could see through them, one of the wall lamps didnt work. Tenants of the room above us were up late each night, making lots of noise and people were in the parking lot and on the balcony above us yelling and carrying on each night until 2AM. The smoke detector was not working (no light on)and, it was positioned too close to the wall in a corner of the room to work properly. There were 3 tables for breakfast service in a very small area off the lobby. We didn't eat there.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank ATL957

Reviewed May 23, 2014

I had mixed feelings booking this cheap hotel, but since it had 15 "excellent reviews," and I just needed a place to sleep before getting up early the next morning I took the chance. This hotel was gross. There were large black hairs in between the blankets, stains on some of the pillow covers, hairs in the bathroom and on the dirty mini fridge and microwave. The toliet at first looked clean but then later I saw it had stains on the side of it, and the bathroom wall had splatters of who knows what on it. I arrived very late in the evening, and being a female by myself I did not feel comfortable searching for a new affordable hotel in a city I was unfamiliar with, plus I had to leave at 6am the next day anyways. I didn't use the blankets just a sheet that looked clean and hairless. I would not stay here again, and I am very surprised by the good reviews..... I don't know if I just had a horrible room or if the whole hotel is gross and reviewers are being paid to reccomend it.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Daisy887
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is one of the best places to stay when visiting norfolk va. The staff is wonderful, friendly and respectful. The place is clean and the rooms smell nice. You are across the street from the mall and there are wonderful sites to see. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2013

During my stay i met the employees they were all respectful, understanding and very nice to all the customers that were staying in at the hotel. My room was always clean when i returned. I would tell anyone to come to this hotel if they needed somewhere to relax and enjoy themselves.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2013

my trip began as a solo trip, and a few days later graduated to a family trip. i spent well over 300 dollars going day to day instead of a weekly price. refrigerator didnt work, still got charged for it, tv didnt work very well, no channel list. thugs in the parking lot all day and night, screaming fighting and messing with everyones door knobs. i felt like i needed a gun to exit my room. cops were there constantly, due to people in the parking lot fighting. continental breakfast was toast, and you had to eat in the lobby, toast. when all was said and done, i know its not their responsibility to accommodate me in any way,but my last day there, was payday and i actually wouldve bought another week, because of the location, they,wouldnt allow my family to stay there for an extra couple hours until i got paid. i wouldnt recommend this hotel to someone i hated. good job in opening my eyes econo lodge, ill be traveling alot and i now know to never ever stay in your p.o.s. hotel chain ever again

Room Tip: go next door to the motel 6.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve L
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This hotel is so nice, staff,management and room are very nice. Quite decent cleaned also room rate also resonable. I am defiantly go back there. Breakfast area is like you eating your own house. Milk cereals,coffee,juice,toast,muffins,etc. And fresh.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have read both the good and the bad reviews. In general I would say I found the positive ones overly positive and the negative ones overly negative. I recognized some of both. The hotel rooms are decent by themselves. I found the service reasonably friendly, but the so called free breakfast is laughable. There were just white slices of bread with nothing on it and then there was cornflakes. They also had coffee and juice. The hotel has a very weird entrance and you have to watch out what you are doing. The wifi worked fine. The best feature of this motel is their location, right opposite the Military Circle Mall which offers a lot of food options. There is also a movie theatre right oppositve the motel. All in all it`s about as good (or as bad) as you could expect for a motel in this price category.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vishal P, Manager at Econo Lodge Near Norfolk State University, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Thank you very much for your review.

We will look forward for your future stay.

Sincerely