“Do yourself a favor and keep driving by!”

Econo Lodge Near Norfolk State University
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Pgh PA
“Do yourself a favor and keep driving by!”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had just enough choice points for the "6000" level which found us this "gem" I had low expectations being on the low point level and other reviews but we still gave it a chance. Its in a seedy section of town. I would'nt say bad section but its not a real nice section either.The way the property sits on the highway it very hard to even turn into. It is older, 2 story outside motel. We normally like outside access rooms because its easier load/unloading the car with the kids. I did feel safer with the car outside the door but the noise level kept us up a lot of the night. Many of the neighbors had no disregard they were at a motel and yelled all night. The person above us let their TV blair loud till the wee hours of the morning. I know some noise is unavoidable, but the crowd staying at this hotel was rude. I was glad the car was still there in the morning. A trip into the bathroom gave me a run-in with a 2' long "critter" I'm not sure what this guy was. My husband said grass-hopper but it never jumped, just crawled fast. That gave me sweet dreams the rest of the night...The place seemed a bit dirty and this proved true after I looked at all our socks and just pitched them. I didn't want to take anything out of there unless I had to. Didnt want to take any "friends" home with me! The shower strained to drain and gave an unpleasant shower experience. The free breakfast was juice and a few pieces of bread, that was it. The breakfast bar was only about 3-4 feet long. It was a joke! I would not even use points to stay here again let alone pay for this "beauty"!

Room Tip: Sleep in your car
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MellyRussi
Vishal P, Manager at Econo Lodge Near Norfolk State University, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Econo Lodge, Norfolk VA. Your comments are one of the best tools we have for maintaining the highest level of comfort and service our guests expect and deserve. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experience at our hotel. Our Hotel had change of Ownership and Mangement in July 2012. We started to renovate the entire hotel in November 2012 and it should be finished by April 2013. Under new management and new ownership, you or anyother guest will not have to go through this again. we have renovated & redesigned our guest room and updated our aminities. We have put some of the new rooms pictures online on Choicehotels.com. We hope to provide you with the best possible guest satisfaction on your next visit. I hope this don't deter you from staying with us again in future. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience you experience at our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I registered online and chose a doublebed, microwave, refrigerator, high speed internet, and safe.. As soon as I entered the room I noticed there was no microwave or refrigerator, I called the front desk to be told that not all the rooms had these and that none were available due to the amount of live ins they had there but to feel free to use the microwave in the lobby. I could'nt get my computer to work so I called back to be told that it should pick up in that room. Later when using the restroom the door knob was broke so the door wouldn't stay shut and the toilet would not flush, called again, the gentleman came in and took the tank top off and says you have to jingle the chain when it does that. No I don't think so, thank goodness it kept working. When checking out I went in for the continental breakfast only to be met by other angry guest who also wanted the breakfast but found out there wasn't any and one of the live in says there never is. There was mildew in the shower and people were outside all night making so much noise we couldn't sleep. This was indeed a nightmare

Room Tip: Please find yourself another hoted.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business