“Never again”

Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Let me just start off by saying.... There was NO excuse for our experience. Upon arrival, everything seemed really nice. The lobby looks newly decorated, there was coffee/tea available, check-in was very quick and efficient, and you couldn't beat the convenient location. We rented a King Room with a Whirlpool (the "best" room they have). But, as soon as we walked in the room, I literally gagged. It was supposed to be a non-smoking room, but it smelled like it had been rented by chain-smokers every day for the last 5 years. It wasn't just an aroma, it had seeped into the carpets, mattress, and even the bathroom (where it's all tile and plastic) reeked. I sprayed some strong eau de parfum all over the carpets, bed and bathroom but even THAT couldn't cover the smell. I called the front desk and asked them if we had been accidentally been put in a smoking room but I had been reassured it was a non-smoking floor. I asked if we could be moved rooms (and trust me, as military personnel, I am NOT one to complain, I'll take a rock-hard floor and say "thank you.") They said that there was an equivalent room available the next day and we could be moved, so we reluctantly agreed because it was too late at night to find another hotel.

But as this one night went on, the nastiness came out. The floor wasn't even VACUUMED, there was MOLD next to the fridge (and I'm not talking in tiny nooks and crannies that are hard to clean, I am talking in PLAIN SIGHT), there were stains all up the walls, the whirlpool was missing the air-jet button (so the only reason we paid SO much- the whirlpool- wasn't even operational... we found the button later that evening on the back of the toilet. There was dust or dead skin clumps and hair trapped on the suction screen of the whirlpool, and the structure tiling was falling apart- the tiles were completely separated and the caulking was cracked away. Now, to the bed.... The actual bed and linens would have been great, if they didn't absolutely stink. I tried so hard to just get over it and sleep. But neither of us could get past it. We got up in the morning with terrible stuffy noses and headaches.

At least the towels were clean and we had hot water.

The next morning, we couldn't get the other room we were promised would be open, and we were given the option to down grade. They still insisted it was a non-smoking room and the smell had to be due to the room below us being a smoking room and the ventilation blows it in to our room- what kind of excuse is that???? What were they thinking when they made that smoking/non-smoking room placement decision?? How was it OK that the floor wasn't even vacuumed?? We had had enough. We were already packed so we just left.

I couldn't believe it. I read all the reviews on this property and thought we were making an awesome decision. Maybe we did just get a dud room. But in the hotel business, hell in ANY business, it is not OK to offer anything as bad as this and still charge money.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Of all the rooms I have stayed in, in the past. This room is pretty much like the rest. It had a bed, TV, desk, toilet and shower. As well as all these amenities it was furnished with an unstocked minifridge. The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but it worked.That is all.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This hotel is great! The rooms are clean and the breakfast was good (which is free)! The staff there is awesome!Penny at the front desk was a charm with her warm and sweet personality and the housekeepers made sure to speak to you when you're in the hall. Whenever im in Norfolk I will stay hear! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights to visit my sailor and to go apartment shopping. The hotel is very clean and located near fast food resturants and a grocery store. The room I initally reserved to not come equipped with a microwave (needed to warm babies bottles) but housekeeping went out of their way to provide one to us.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2013

So the rooms are standard. It matches the Hampton Inn Cookie Cutter perfectly. The service was a disappointment. This is one of the few, non-sketch hotels that have an 11am check out. Housekeeping will harass the heck out of from about 9am on...During the checkin I felt it the front desk staff was like drones....no service...just check in and go away. You do not feel welcomed...but your credit card feels valued.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Only down fall was using Google Maps to find the place. Besides the map, it was a pleasant surprise upon entering my room a light was on and an animal swan was made from towels. I have only experienced this on cruises. This was a nice touch since at the last possible moment I asked for a room change because when I booked on line I accidentally hit smoking room and at the hotel they had no problem switching it for me. I am here for another 2 nights.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We always love staying here never had any problems with this hotel. This has been our fourth stay here. Anytime we come here, it's clean and the employees always friendly. My wife and I look forward stay at this location in Norfolk. The breakfast is AWESUME! I give it an A+.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family