“EXCELLENT CHOICE”

Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Initally I chose this hotel for it's locality. I'm so glad I did, it was a great experience. My room was extremely clean. I would recommend this hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable. The staff was very helpful. The complimentary breakfast had several choices and somethng for everyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at this Hampton Inn from May 27-28, 2013 while I was visiting my son at the Naval Base. I chose this hotel because it was near the Naval Base and I usually stay at either Hampton Inns or other Hilton Hotels. This is by far the worst Hampton Inn I have ever stayed at. I checked into the hotel on Monday, May 27th. When I went into the bathroom, I found a dirty toilet; both the rim and the bowl looked as if someone had just used the bathroom. When I told the manager, she immediately changed my room. At this point, I put my bags in the new room and left for the day. When I returned that evening and was getting ready to settle in for the night, I discovered that the adorable towel animal that was on the bed was dirty with some sort of brown substance. At first I thought that the brown substance was the eyes of the towel animal, but when looked closer I saw that the entire towel was dirty. Since I was tired, I decided to ignore it, so I threw the towel on the floor and began to get ready for bed. When I went to put a small bag on the desk chair, I found the discarded wrapper to a chocolate bar in the chair. Again I decided to ignore this and just go to bed. As I went to put my glasses on the night table, I found a sticky substance all over the night table. I could no longer ignore the lack of cleanliness in this room, so at 2:30 am I went down to the night manager to ask for another room. I actually wanted to get out of this hotel and find another place to stay. The night manager was wonderful and assured me that she would put me in another room. She came to the dirty room to inspect it for herself. She then took me to another room and we inspected it together. I was finally able to settle in for the night. Since my first two rooms were dirty, I decided to use one of the towels to wipe off the desk and the night tables. The towel was filthy after I finished wiping off the tables. I told the night manager and she suggested that I speak with the general manager in the morning. I was given one complimentary night at the hotel, but given the issues with room cleanliness, I feel the entire stay should have been complimentary. The general manager was not present when I checked out, so I was not able to address these issues with her/him. Both the night manager and the day staff were very nice and helpfu. My main issue was with the hotel housekeeping staff. The rooms were not clean and even the ones that appeared to be clean still had dirt on the surfaces. I was grossed out. I have much higher expectations of Hampton Inns and this one does not deliver. There is a serious problem with the attentiveness of the housekeeping staff. I was in three different rooms during my short stay, all of which were in varying degrees on cleanliness. Please clean your rooms! I would only stay here again if the Navy Lodge was booked and I could not get accommodations elsewhere. Please get your act together. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2013

they tell you one thing when booking and when you drive all the way to the hotel you are told something totally different. was told they would provide free shuttle service to and from cruise terminal, but find out after driving 10 hours that they didn't provide service. Had to pay out of pocket for cab fare to and from terminal

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located for anyone visiting family and/or friends that are stationed on the Naval Base in Norfolk. Very clean, attractive surroundings and very quiet. We always felt safe and were always warmly greeted by any hotel staff that we saw, including the guy changing some light bulbs in one of the stair wells---we prefer to use stairs when possible.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel was in a great location near the navel base and ODU. There were a lot of fast food joints and restaurants within walking distance as well as a grocery store. The lobby is small and has a tea/coffee area near the first floor hallway which can get congested in the morning. Breakfast was quite good with lots of choices. I especially enjoyed the hot omelet shaped like a taco with salsa. The front desk staff was pleasant and efficient. My room was spacious, clean, and had a lot of little touches like a flat screen TV, lap desk, and a note from housekeeping welcoming me. The only two things that were a bit weird are that there is only one elevator which is near the center of the hotel (In the middle of the hallway) and the parking lot is a bit narrow and right next to several power towers that make quite a loud audible hum. If you're sensitive to that kind of thing then it is something to keep in mind. Overall, a great hotel and highly recommended.

Room Tip: The elevator is near the center of the hotel, doors are heavy and need some effort to push open.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This hotel is very well maintained and well staffed. The rooms were quiet even though the hotel was full for ODU graduation. The rooms were extra comfortable and very clean. The pool was also very clean and lovely to use early in the morning. The breakfast was quite good with plenty of options for various dietary needs. The staff were exceptional.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Right there with the quality you would expect from Hampton Inn. The check in was easy, less then 2 minutes. They did not recognize me as a Hilton Honors member, but that did not distract from my stay at the hotel. The hotel was quiet even though it was located on a high traffic road and plenty of businesses nearby. The room was very comfortable and all amenities work as they were supposed to. I would definitely stay here again when I am in the Norfolk area on business.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business