“Nice lobby, sketchy neighborhood, old building.”

Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Nashville, TN
“Nice lobby, sketchy neighborhood, old building.”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is an old motel building that has been updated. The WIFI in my 1st room was broken, and I told the hotel staff repeatedly, and they did not seem to know about it every time. The thermostats were broken in both rooms I stayed in. These are basic rooms, bed, desk, tv, and bathroom. The rooms I was in were quiet. The ice makers on each floor worked correctly. There is a small indoor pool, and small limited workout room. There is a shared computer in the lobby available to guests. THe breakfast is standard Hampton breakfast which is good. The neighborhood is not a good neighborhood to be out by oneself alone at night. Panhandlers came up to my car in the motel parking lot when I pulled in during early evening, and the panhandlers were aggressively asking for money blocking my exit from my car, so I had to give them money to get rid of them, so I could get out and get into the motel. Other than that, the front desk service was friendly and professional.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kitikata
HamptonInnNNB, General Manager at Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I sincerely apologize for all of the inconveniences you experienced during your time with us. I've worked with our security team to ensure that issues like yours are not repeated in the future. Our guests' comfort and safety is our number one priority here and again I apologize for the issues. Thank you again for your honest feedback and hopefully you will consider giving us another chance in the future.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Wesley Dove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is nice and full of lovely and friendly staff members that truly make you feel like you are apart of the family. I always stay here when I am in the hampton roads area. The staff here always goes above and beyond I recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonInnNNB, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
I'd like to personally thank you for taking a moment to fill out a review of the Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base. Your positive words are greatly appreciated! Service is an art that is often forgotten in our hectic lives and I am glad to hear that our staff had enough of an effect on you to inspire this review. We may not be able to control the age of the hotel or the buildings that surround us, however we can always make sure that you are treated respectfully and courteously. We look forward to having you visit us again.

Ashby, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We traveled down to the naval base to see our son's ship come in and this hotel was fine for that. The room was cleaned daily and the staff were very nice and accomodating. The only problem we had was the handle on the shower had to be put to cold to get hot water and hot to get cold water. It is just down the road from the naval base and other amenities and that is the main reason we chose this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Military Homecomings are always such a special event and we are delighted you choose to spend this personal moment at the Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base. Our staff truly enjoys meeting new people and sharing in their experiences and I'm pleased you felt the staff was attentive to your needs.

I also want to thank you also for your gracious review and your feedback. The Chief Engineer remembers receiving a maintenance ticket for the shower and has already made that repair.

We look forward to seeing you in Norfolk again soon.

Clayton, North Carolina
Reviewed March 24, 2013

close proximity to everything in Norfolk, Barbara and the staff there are very eager to satisfy. The Norfolk Naval Base gates are just about in the back door so you are very close to getting on to the Norfolk Naval Base. Barbara and the staff have always been courteous and helpful to me every time I have to go to the naval base.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
California, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was travelling for business and could not find a hotel in downtown Norfolk, but this was located close enough. It was however, next to a lot of power lines, and the entrance /exit was a bit tricky during times of high traffic. The breakfast was very good, with lots of choices.
There was nothing spectacular about this particular place. My room was clean, decent ammentities. The desk person was nice on check-in.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
University Park, PA
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I am a business traveler for a large Corp. I needed to meet a naval officer returning from a mission. So proximity to the naval station was excellent. This property was clean and well managed. I even made a special request that was met with efficiency and a great attitude. I get tired of travelers punishing good hotels in their classes for not being the Ritz-Carlton. If you want a luxury hotel, pay for one. This hotel is fine for its price and class

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HamptonInnNNB, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. As always, it is our goal to provide the best service and quality to our guests. When traveling we know that you have options and we appreciate you selecting the Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base. I always like to pass along good news and would like to let you know that hopefully by your next visit you will notice several new upgrades to the property, which will included higher bandwidth making our internet faster, and a complete renovation to be completed early 2014. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Assistant General Manager/Director of Sales
scottsdale
Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you are visiting a family member stationed at Norfolk Naval Base or is about to be deployed or coming home, this is the place to stay just because of its locaiton.

The rooms were not clean--we found a pile of hair on the bathroom floor when we arrived and one half of the room carpet had not been vacuumed.
The housekeeper did not change the sheets or pillow cases as we requested but merely took them off and put them back on. We wanted new sheets and pillow cases because my didn't feel well.
The housekeeper also didn't thoroughly clean the bathroom, took the old soup and didn't leave any new soap, did not leave toiler paper or kleenex.

We got fresh sheets and pillow cases from another housekeeper and put them on ourselves. We also got more tp, kleenex and soap. So, a little self help and we were good to go.
Breakfast was ok -- the eggs were weird--kinda industrial lumps-- but the blueberry muffins were terrific.

Very very comfortable beds---just need clean sheets!

Security lock on the east outside door to the hotel was missing so no security in and out of the hotel. Have to ask why?

BUT, great location. We were on the base within minutes and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HamptonInnNNB, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
We're so lucky to have had the opportunity to serve you for such an important occasion and am glad you found the location convenient for getting to the Naval base. However, we want you to enjoy more than just the location. Service consistency and clean, comfortable rooms should be just a few of the many great experiences you have. I can assure you that your concerns regarding the housekeeping and poor service have been addressed. In fact, Hilton Worldwide has approved our renovation plans and we expect a complete remodel within then next 12 months. I am curious about the security issue, as the East facing door is our front entrance, which remains unlocked until the night hours. We hope that if you find yourself in Norfolk again, you'll think of us. We'd love to hear what you think of our improvements and would be happy to help make your next event even more special.

Best Wishes,