“Not too happy”

Super 8 Norfolk/Chesapeake Bay
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed October 10, 2012

When I arrived and was given the room number, my key didn't work for the room. Then once I had the room, the air conditioning didnt' work. I was given another room, but the TV didn't work properly. The remote didn't work at all. The matresses were worn and I wasn't able to get additonal towels when I asked for them. I wa told that they could only allow a selected amount of towels per room. I was given 2 towels, 2 hand towels, 2 wash cloths, and 1 floor towel. The hairdryer didn't work, so I was unable to dry my hair after washing it. If you ignore all of these setback, my stay would be nice, but I was there with my daughter to attend my cousin's wedding and I was not pleased at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Rick P, Manager at Super 8 Norfolk/Chesapeake Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank You for taking time to review us. I am sorry to hear all these issues. We will make sure that it doesn't happen again. Also due to your inconvenience you were already compensated $25 at checkout.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Enjoyed the stay. very friendly and situated right on the water. willstay again. could use a little better wifi signal in the room. overall nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Rick P, Manager at Super 8 Norfolk/Chesapeake Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thanks for taking a time to finishing the review. Hope to see you next time when you are in the area.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

updates are needed. the staff was very nice. carpet needs to be changed or cleaned need larger cups in room. better tv channels

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I reserved 3 days at this hotel because of the low rates.
We are not difficult people and usually I'm not complaining for stupid things.
(We always chose cheap hotel when we travel and always got surprised to compare bad rating and reality). So here is the reality for this hotel.
Staff is rude, no smile. Room was ok, bathroom disgusting. Communicated door between the rooms, I was a bit worried about it.
Thin walls, you can ear people walking and talking around the room.
No bed bugs in our bed no ''really bad smell'' like the previous comments said.
And yes, it is really ''on the beach''. But you'd rather take 30 min and go to Virginia Beach.
BUT, It looked like there were a lot of residents in this hotel. Nasty people that looked too comfortable in that place and seemed to look at us when we arrived and left our hotel room. I was worried about the security in the room and even much when we were leaving for the day. So I stayed with an unpleasant feeling during my stay. The area got me anxious, I would not take a walk at night. (Anyways there's nowhere to go close from the hotel).
The main issue of our trip was that we asked for extending our trip for labor day weekend because other hotels were very expensive and we could still deal with what I mentionned previously. I asked the rude lady the rates and I answered that it was ok with us and just wanted her to write them down. Two days in a row our cards weren't working at the end of the day and the same unpleasant lady gave them back to us with no explaination. The second day we wanted to make sure they were charging the price she told me and they answered it was 30$ more because we did not confirmed in advance that we stayed and came back to give her our credit card so she can precharge our stay and other bull****. (If she didn't understant that it was a ''Yes we're staying'' than why didn't she ask when we came for the demagnetized cards) Well, they lied. I said ok fine if there was a misunderstanding so why can't you make me the same deal. He just answered that anything I say won't change anything. I told him he was rude and did not care about satisfied customers. He answered he had a hundred clients in his hotel at the moment. Like an arrogant.
I looked on the net and discovered that he had no room left for labor day and that finally he wanted to kick us out from our room so he could charge full price to someone else. Or, he would have waited until our 3 days stay to charge us the full price. And give us the same untrue reasons.
We left and he never looked at us, never said bye. We had to paid the 30.00 extra for the one night we stayed and there were more extras on the bill that he couldn't give real explanation. (I'll have to check that with super 8)
I've never seen this even in the cheapest hotels.
If you want to stay around Virginia Beach I recommand Best Western or if you want something cheap, Travelodge on 28th street and Atlantic Avenue (even if it's the same hotel chain than super 8) , you can have great service with low rates. That's where we ended our stay and were so satisfied with the service, the room and the location of the hotel. For the same price ! So finally the greatest thing about this hotel is that we left for something so much better. If you stay for one night you'll survive but be careful they may try to trick you.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Overall a dirty establishment, inside and out. Rooms are outdated and dirty from the moment you walk in. Very basic rooms and furniture, lots of dead bugs in the corners. Stayed here once for business and won't stay again. The only nice thing is the location right by the beach, but not even worth the price!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Where else can you get such good value in the SUMMER. Don't be scared by previous reviews - I brought my own cleaning supplies but did not need them. No eating places to walk to, however. Fast food, drug store and grocery store a short drive away. No problems getting room cleaned. Nice selection at cont. breakfast if you get there early.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed here after a long days drive. We planned on stopping in Virginia Beach but was too tired. Chose this place due to its location and price. We swam in the hotel's pool the nite we arrived. The next morning we got up and went for a swim at its own beach. It was beautiful!!! Not a 5 star place but you can't beat it for its class of hotel. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family