“Dishonest staff”

Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Montreal, Canada
“Dishonest staff”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I reserved 3 days at this hotel because of the low rates.
We are not difficult people and usually I'm not complaining for stupid things.
(We always chose cheap hotel when we travel and always got surprised to compare bad rating and reality). So here is the reality for this hotel.
Staff is rude, no smile. Room was ok, bathroom disgusting. Communicated door between the rooms, I was a bit worried about it.
Thin walls, you can ear people walking and talking around the room.
No bed bugs in our bed no ''really bad smell'' like the previous comments said.
And yes, it is really ''on the beach''. But you'd rather take 30 min and go to Virginia Beach.
BUT, It looked like there were a lot of residents in this hotel. Nasty people that looked too comfortable in that place and seemed to look at us when we arrived and left our hotel room. I was worried about the security in the room and even much when we were leaving for the day. So I stayed with an unpleasant feeling during my stay. The area got me anxious, I would not take a walk at night. (Anyways there's nowhere to go close from the hotel).
The main issue of our trip was that we asked for extending our trip for labor day weekend because other hotels were very expensive and we could still deal with what I mentionned previously. I asked the rude lady the rates and I answered that it was ok with us and just wanted her to write them down. Two days in a row our cards weren't working at the end of the day and the same unpleasant lady gave them back to us with no explaination. The second day we wanted to make sure they were charging the price she told me and they answered it was 30$ more because we did not confirmed in advance that we stayed and came back to give her our credit card so she can precharge our stay and other bull****. (If she didn't understant that it was a ''Yes we're staying'' than why didn't she ask when we came for the demagnetized cards) Well, they lied. I said ok fine if there was a misunderstanding so why can't you make me the same deal. He just answered that anything I say won't change anything. I told him he was rude and did not care about satisfied customers. He answered he had a hundred clients in his hotel at the moment. Like an arrogant.
I looked on the net and discovered that he had no room left for labor day and that finally he wanted to kick us out from our room so he could charge full price to someone else. Or, he would have waited until our 3 days stay to charge us the full price. And give us the same untrue reasons.
We left and he never looked at us, never said bye. We had to paid the 30.00 extra for the one night we stayed and there were more extras on the bill that he couldn't give real explanation. (I'll have to check that with super 8)
I've never seen this even in the cheapest hotels.
If you want to stay around Virginia Beach I recommand Best Western or if you want something cheap, Travelodge on 28th street and Atlantic Avenue (even if it's the same hotel chain than super 8) , you can have great service with low rates. That's where we ended our stay and were so satisfied with the service, the room and the location of the hotel. For the same price ! So finally the greatest thing about this hotel is that we left for something so much better. If you stay for one night you'll survive but be careful they may try to trick you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Overall a dirty establishment, inside and out. Rooms are outdated and dirty from the moment you walk in. Very basic rooms and furniture, lots of dead bugs in the corners. Stayed here once for business and won't stay again. The only nice thing is the location right by the beach, but not even worth the price!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Norfolk hotels

Long Island, NY
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Where else can you get such good value in the SUMMER. Don't be scared by previous reviews - I brought my own cleaning supplies but did not need them. No eating places to walk to, however. Fast food, drug store and grocery store a short drive away. No problems getting room cleaned. Nice selection at cont. breakfast if you get there early.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Duxbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed here after a long days drive. We planned on stopping in Virginia Beach but was too tired. Chose this place due to its location and price. We swam in the hotel's pool the nite we arrived. The next morning we got up and went for a swim at its own beach. It was beautiful!!! Not a 5 star place but you can't beat it for its class of hotel. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Disgusting. From the property outside surrounding the hotel to the room itself, everything was down right nasty. Human excrement (not ours) on toilet, never was cleaned off in our 4 day stay. Walls, windows, mirrors filthy. Air conditioner dripped into room. Musty and smelly. (We left this room) Fixtures broke and very dated. Mattresses way beyond old and needing replaced. Staff most unfriendly- stare right through you. Overall FILTHY AND NASTY. Cheaper rates should not equate into a filthy, nasty, room. If you want to enjoy your stay at Norfork, DO NOT STAY AT THIS SUPER 8. I WILL NEVER STAY AT A SUPER 8 AGAIN. NEVER.

• Stayed June 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed for two nights its nice location, really quite but room is not so good it smell bad when we entered and untrained staff Lady who checked in us is same who do housekeeping sorry to say she don’t know English my kids are laughing the way she described room location…on second day we locked out from our room and housekeeper said problem with lock then guy came and fix it….so they have to train their staff more otherwise its really nice stay.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stay far away from this hotel! Appearance is nothing like the website shows. My family & another family checked in saturday 6/16 & to start it off we had problems with the check in. Hotel claims they never recieved our reservations. We get in the rooms, which have a odor & we had a hole in the ceiling over the shower. Get settled in and 3 hrs later when everyone is ready for bed we discover bugs in the bed. We demanded a refund for the rooms and left that night at 10:30pm. The staff didnt seem too surprised, seemed like they knew all along they had bugs. The sad part about is that the next day we discovered the bugs had bitten our little cousin all over her body! DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family