“BEWARE: BED BUG INFESTATION!!!”

Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base
Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at a Quality Inn near Norfolk Navy Base on Thurs, February 21st, my boyfriend woke up in the middle of the night with bites on his neck. I didn't see any visible bites on myself. My boyfriend went to the front desk and reported the incident and showed the clerk the bites, she moved us from room 107 to room 115. After moving to a different room, the next morning I noticed that I too had been bitten, and then then the next day after we left the hotel, a few more bites appeared. By the third day after leaving that hotel we were experiencing serious itching fits, the bites felt like fire, and they were also very painful. Today, although a lot of the swelling and redness from the bites has gotten better, and they appear to be healing, some of the bites are still itchy and painful. We have suffered three days of undescribable itching and pain from the bites. I had never experienced anything like that before and people should know that the Quality Inn, which is a Choice Hotel, has a serious bed bug issue.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jay G
1QualityGM, Manager at Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

I am very sorry to hear you about your unpleasant experience at our hotel. After moving you to another guestroom, we immediately placed the guestroom out of order and had it inspected by a professional since we take this matter extremely seriously. After a thorough investigatigation by the Professional Pest Control Company that regularly services our Hotel, they concluded that there was NO infestation discovered in either guestroom (the first room you checked-into nor the new guestroom given to you) . Once again, we apologize for your less than pleasant stay and reassure you that we are very diligent in reacting to and investigating complaints of this magnitude and I assure you that The Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Station is NOT infested with bed bugs. We hope that you provide us with the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I am saddened to say I expected more, we traveled all day and got in around midnight. We walked in to find a spider's nest above the tv near the ceiling. The fridge when opened fell out of the cubby it was sitting in almost landing on my foot. There was rust around the door frame of the bathroom. The number sign was broken on our room so we guessed we were in the right room. The pillows were so small that our heads barely fit on them. Then to top it off we had no hot water in the morning for our showers, it took almost a 1/2 hour to correct that problem. Breakfast was limited at best. All around worst stay in a long time.
All this for a total of 110.00 including tax.
So needless to say instead of 3 nights, we checked out and went over to Quality Inn on Northampton--that saved us $30.00 a night and it was like the Trump Towers in comparison.

Room Tip: Stay at the Quality on Northampton Blvd--it was a great place....in comparison
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1QualityGM, General Manager at Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you Cheri for your candid review. We value all of the reviews we receive, good and bad. Your input has been shared with the proper departments and corrective action has been taken where necessary.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

The room was clean for the most part, carpets could use a good shampooing. The bed and sheets were comfortable. The staff is very friendly and our room was kept clean and neat. (We stayed 3 nights) The trucks from next door were a little loud in the mornings but that's city life.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review us on line. We try very hard to have each and every guest leave with a positive experience. We certainly hope to see you again.

Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Great rate for a 2 bed plus pull out sofa room. Our room was non-smoking but smelled heavily of smoke. Sofa bed had a seperate space where you could close the door off from the remainder of the room and has its own television. Breakfast was average and included in our rate. The in-house restaurant had cheap prices....but you get what you pay for. All staff were very friendly and accommodating. Would stay there again, but eat dinner elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel you had stayed at, unfortunately I do not believe it was our property. We do not have a restaurant. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope you return to Hampton Roads again.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked this room to to stay over so I would be close to the base for a family day cruise on my sons ship. After the 6 hour drive I pulled in the women who check us in was very nice. We wne t to the room and it was DISGUSTING IT SMELLED AND WAS MOLDY!!! We went back to the front desk and we were showed another room it was the room on top of the fisrt one!! Same thing happened there too. Went back to the front desk AGAIN was showed another room and guess what SAME THING!! We left this hotel and found another one. When I called to get a refund I was told that it would not be refunded back. I booked through World Wide travaler exchange. I called them they called the hotel and verified I did not stay BUT they would not refund my money!! Lesson learned ALWAYS book through the hotel and NEVER GO BACK THIS HOTEL!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1QualityGM, General Manager at Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we value these reviews greatly. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that was caused to you. We have just begun some renovations. One of the first items was pressure washing the entire building. Some water was sprayed under the doors and we have been cleaning carpets as a result.
If I may assist you in any way recovering the money you had paid please contact me.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Ok, so the hotel is not brand new and there are signs of wear and tear, but we wanted a one night stay at a reasonable cost as part of our three week tour of the Eastern Seaboard and the Quality Inn did us proud. The female receptionist was absolutely wonderful and could not have been more helpful or pleasant. We also used a coupon from a brochure, which brought the room price down to under 60 dollars, which was a major bonus.

Our room was spotlessly clean and the size of Belgium! It had a fridge and a microwave and a bed you could have organised a 1500m race around in it. The bed linen and quality of the mattress were excellent, as were the towels. Only the bathroom was needing some TLC and but for that, I would have given the hotel 5 stars.

The breakfast was more than adequate and we were both quite sad to leave.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank topfellman

Thank you very much, we hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Other than friendly desk staff this has to really be the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. The first room we went into had so much of a musty odor they moved us. Unfortunately that room was almost as bad and since it was so late we stayed. The sheets had stains on them, the light in the bathroom had a short that brightened when you turned on the hair dryer, the floors in the corners of the bathroom had dirt build up and the bathtub tile was severely moldy, also dirty carpets. The icing on the cake was that because of the dimness of the light over the bath sink I did not see my earrings so I didn't pick them up. (I admit part my fault .) When we discovered this we called, nothing turned in and the housekeeping manager was to call, next day received same answer. Never heard so did not recover my earrings. We went to the Hampton in down the street for the remainder of our stay, it was great and the SAME price. Go there!!!

Room Tip: Go to Hampton in down the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

I apologize that your accommodations were not satisfactory. We had looked for your earrings as soon as we were made aware, they were not found. I would like to thank you for your review as I have shared it with my staff in the hopes of avoiding any future guests dissatisfaction.