“ok value, good service, good location”

Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Fairfax, VA
“ok value, good service, good location”
Reviewed August 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed here the weekend of August 8 for 2 nights. Overall we were satisfied with our stay. It was very crowded that weekend because of a couple of wedding parties staying at the hotel, so we weren't able to try out the pool because it was packed every evening with kids and families.
The parking is rediculously expensive, meaning $13/day for self-park.
I would have really appreciated having a safe in the room, and the tv was old and the reception was quite poor.
However, our room was big and clean, with no smells. The walls are a little thin, and you could hear toilets flushing all around us, which was quite funny actually.
We got a great deal through Priceline, so even with those not-perfect aspects, it was a good value for us.
The staff were very polite and helpful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
rhenley9, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so very much for staying with us and taking the time to provide your comments. We look forward to your next visit to the Norfolk Waterside Marriott Hotel.

Robert Henley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Chose this hotel as part of the Marriott chain and because of its location to Norfolk Waterside. Got a great gov't rate which made the price bearable. Because it's an actual Marriott, not much is complimentary. Expect to pay for internet, parking and meals.

Got a double room on a high floor with a great view of the pool and of Waterside. Beds were extremely comfortable with typical Marriott bedding. Pool is indoors and surrounded by glass. Second floor has a comfortable and relaxing piano bar that we hung around in at night. Prom was going on in one of the ballrooms at the hotel. Hotel is walking distance to Waterside and MacArthur Center Mall. Would stay here again if I needed to be in this immediate area and with a reduced rate.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
trhitt12, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, September 15, 2009
Thank you for your valuable comments about your recent stay with us. We are proud to be a member of the Marriott Family and all the amenities we offer to all our guests such as the comfortable beds, great location and relaxing piano bars as you mentioned in your review. The next time you stay with us, check our website for rate specials.
Maryland
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed here for a long weekend, while househunting.

The good: The hotel itself is lovely, the lobby in particular. There is a Starbucks kiosk in the lobby in the morning -- a very nice touch. The service is outstanding. Everyone is very friendly and helpful, before you even ask for help! When we got to our room I called for extra towels and also for a new light bulb for a lamp which my daughter said had blown when she turned it on. Within five minutes someone was there with a lightbulb (which it turned out was not needed, the lightbulb was just loose -- note to self, always check light when your six year old says its not working), and within ten minutes housekeeping was there with the towels. The location is great, walking distance to the waterfront, lots of restaurants, and the MacArthur Center, an upscale mall (Nordstroms, Pottery Barn, WilliamsSonoma).

Now for the bad:
The first room we were in was one with an adjoining door, and we could hear every word the people said, and every word their tv said. (They also seemed to have company, and stayed up until midnight). The room was just down the hall from the elevators and every time it opened or closed you could here the "ding" In the morning I went down to see if we could change rooms and they imediately agreed with many apologies. The second room did not have the adjoining door, and I had high hopes, until the people in the hallway at 2 in the morning started talking and laughing. I do not think they were excessively loud, just that the walls and doors are inadequate. Also the valet parking fee is a bit ridiculous ($26).

This being said, we would stay at this hotel again, purely based on the amazing customer service (everyone was such a pleasure to deal with), and the location. We would just be sure to request a distanct room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
We pride ourselves on our service and are very proud of our employees and the way they take care of each and every guest - thank you. Please accept our sincere apology for the noise issue that you mentioned. This information has been shared with all departments with the aim of solving some of these problems.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We came in after a cruise and had requested an early check in since we had all our bags with us (short walk from the cruise ship terminal). They were so accommodating. It was a perfect location!!! We walked down Granby St to eat, the lovely MacCarthur mall is close by and you can even walk down to the waterfront and take a ferry over to Portsmouth. Staying at this Hotel was great and whether we were coming or going, the staff were always so pleasant to deal with....oh and did I mention the wonderful beds and sheets! That was a bonus for sure! and a very nice pool and workout room. We will be back for sure.
Cruisers from CANADA

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Canucks123

Virginia
Reviewed May 6, 2009

The GOOD:
A great location within walking distance of most attractions.

Parking is a bit pricey in a High Rise, City owned lot, but it adjoins the hotel and is accesable by an elevated glass covered ramp.

The staff was friendly and couteous.

FREE cookies [ very good ] on the front desk. A nice touch.

A real joy was HENRY the bartender at the piano lounge. What a great personality, he definitely should get a raise.

Room service was EXCELLENT and unbelievably QUICK.

The BAD:
TV reception was FUZZY and on an old tube set. My last stay at a Sheraton had a 40 inch Flat Screen!

No microwave or compact refridgerator in the room. { even my last stay at an inexpensive hotel had both! }

The heat and A/C were impossible to adjust. You set it on one temperature and it would go to another, maybe higher, maybe lower.???

We left the room one day at 10 AM and returned a bit tired at 3 PM to find our room had still not been made up. We had to sit in the lounge for another 45 minutes while they attended to that.

The gift shop! EIGHT DOLLARS for a VERY SMALL bottle of Asprin! I understand hotel mark ups but that is incredible

On check out I discovered I had been overbilled for room service by $17.45. This was taken care of on the spot.

However when I got home and checked my Credit Card site I discovered I was overcharged by $74.00 from the checkout bill I received at the hotel. I called Marriott and was told this is a common practice to cover any unforeseen expenses I may have run up but it would correct itself when my final statement came in at the end of the month.

NOWHERE is this stated in the booking presentation on line or at the desk on check-in.

I have mixed emotions on this hotel and management needs to get a handle on some of these things.

I WOULD recommend this hotel with SOME RESERVATION.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rtfrey
It is disappointing when a guest leaves and feels they did not have their expectations met nor does it reflect the high standards of customer service that we set. While we never like to read that, we are always grateful for the feedback so that we may address the issues with our team.

Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

CDJanet
Reviewed April 15, 2009

As a convention planner, I stay and visit alot of hotels. The staff of the Marriott Norfolk is one of the best I have ever worked with---and definitely the most friendly! Any requests were handled professionally, swiftly and with a smile. It is quite unusual to have EVERY staff encounter be so pleasant. This property appears very well-managed even through these tough times. It was well staffed and I was never too far from an employee that was willing to help even if it wasn't her/his department. My room was comfortable and clean. There was a challenge at times with room temperature control, internet access and cell phone dead areas. I would recommend this property not because it's all the unique--but it definitely has a staff worth experiencing. Also nice were Shula's and the hotel's restaurant. Well-equipped and clean fitness room also available. Thanks!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed February 28, 2009

I had an attractive room with a pleasant view, but it took some time to get into the room, and the staff were not paricularly accomodating. When I finally got to the room, it was very cold and the thermostat didn't appear to work.. The "engineer" who arrived to adjust the heat set the thermostat at 88o and was admused at my inability to set it. Who sets the thermostat at 88o to achieve a comfortable temperature? Further, the front desk was unaware that a business meeting was being held at their hotel, which resulted in considerable confusion for the meeting participants. All in all, there seems to be an administrative disconnect at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
trhitt12, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, March 23, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback about your stay. Please accept my sincere apology for the service setbacks that you encountered. I share all our guest comments with the staff, so that we can continually improve on our hospitality to each and every guest.