“Comfortable business stay”

Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Severna Park
“Comfortable business stay”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Location is convenient to restaurants in downtown Norfolk.
The service was very good. Attentive, experienced front desk.
The room was clean and comfortable. Set up well for business with a pull out desk. Internet was a little slow.
Nice gym. Clean with a good selection of fitness machines, barbells and modern treadmills w/tvs.
My expectation of a Marriott.

Room Tip: Ask for a view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Magothy
Mark B, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent visit to the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. We are glad that we could provide you with attentive service, a clean and comfortable room, a nice gym and a convenient location. The next time you are in town for business, please come and see us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We went to Norfolk, VA for the weekend to see Bill Maher perform in Chrysler Hall. From the moment we arrived at the Marriott Waterside we were greeted by a very friendly, helpful and attentive valet/bellhop. The check-in staff was fast and also friendly. The one snafu was when the TV was fuzzy. Upon calling the front desk to complain it took only two minutes for a repairman to arrive at out door. Even the repairman was friendly, well spoken, polite and professional. Naturally, all of these qualities that the staff at the Marriott Waterside exhibited should be SOP, and most hotels (as most businesses) truly believe that their respective companies consistently exhibit these qualities, when in reality, the vast majority do not! I am pleased to say that the Marriott Waterside staff was perfect in every way. As someone who travels a great deal I have become extremely critical of the service industry, which is why I am so over the top pleased when an entire staff is great! Thank you Marriott Waterside. The location is perfect for walking everywhere. And, Bill Maher was GREAT!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent visit to Norfolk to see Bill Maher. We truely believe that it is our staff that makes a stay memorable and not the physical or material part of the room or the hotel. We are glad that this was the case during your visit and that we provided you with helpful and attentive valet/bellhop, friendly front desk, and polite and professional repairmen. So the next time your head south on I-95, you know where to stay.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I started off booking with the Marriott as the Sheraton across the street was already booked. I chaperoned 18 students to a 3 day conference and could not have asked for friendlier service. I'll start by saying that if you need to book in advance or need help with sales, you will not find a more helpful group. If I can drop names, Pamela Crockett was wonderful to work with. She was very concerned to make sure the students had everything we needed and did what she could to make our stay enjoyable.
The day we arrived the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Check in took less than 10 minutes-if that- for 18 kids! And every employee I ran into during the three days made an effort to say hello and engage in small talk. The bell boys/valet parking attendants were also very gracious when asked to move 18+ pieces of luggage into the baggage room.
The rooms were a little smaller than I expected, but that really didn't matter. Bathrooms were clean. Hallways were clean. Nothing seemed out of place.
The gym was one of the best I've seen in any hotel. I bet they had over 25 pieces of equipment. Though I didn't use it, several of the kids said there was a lot of chlorine in the pools- so watch out!
Overall, a great experience. We felt very welcomed, considering hotels probably get heart palpitations when a group of high school kids arrive! Next year, we'll be staying with the Marriott again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Arminius1
Mark B, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. We hope your students did well at the Model U.N. Conference. Our greatest asset is our people and it is also great to hear comments like "wonderful sales, friendly front desk and gracious bell/valet." We look forward to seeing everyone during next year's competition.
Charlotte
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business for 2 nights. Location is great but property itself needs a little updating. The concierge room is on one of the lower levels for now while they're working on it (which it's OK) but it's definitely not even close to what Marriott's standards should be. The food they had there was stale, whatever they actually had at all. My room was average, nothing to write home about. Overall, it's OK but I think I'll stay at Courtyard nearby next time I'm in Norfolk for business (I'm a platinum member so I try to stay at their properties as much as possible).

• Stayed February 2013
Mark B, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. We have just finished a renovation of all our guest rooms. Please accept our sincere apology for the issue with our concierge lounge.Your comments have been shared with the Executive Chef, and we thank you for your valuable input. The next phase to be completed will be the lobby and the second floor piano lounge. We hope you will come see us again and enjoy all the improvements we are making to the hotel.
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have stayed here twice and have loved both stays - first my room on the 5th floor, and next on the 20th floor. I have worked with the front desk, the bellman staff, the sales and event planning staff, and the AV staff. They could not have been more cooperative. Thank you!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about both of your stays with us here at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. It would appear that you are visiting us a meeting planner or group contact. We are happy that everything has gone well and your contact with our staff have all been positive.
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed for business travel and had hit or miss Internet, which made getting business done difficult. I then used my Bberry as my Internet source so I could accomplish a few tasks. I called the front desk, but they said it was likely my computer setting. since this had never happened in all the years of travel and stays within other Marriott properties i did not care for the response. my IT guy said it was not the computer. Since I'm not a tech person, i was a bit frustrated at the situation. I like the location and I had a beautiful view of the water. The workout room worked great for me. I wanted to try the nearby shopping but just didn't have time.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with view of the water
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank your for your recent comments about your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues with your internet. We are presently renovating our guest rooms and will continue on to the lobby and second floor bar area. Hopefully the next time you visit from Iowa, you can stay in one of our newly renovated guest rooms.
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Where to start with all the things that went wrong? I called the hotel directly several days before our stay on NYE to make reservations. I was connected to a call center, where I made a reservation for 2 King rooms. I was driving so I didn't write down the confirmation number. We showed up the day of our reservation and were told that they couldn't find our reservation. The front desk attendant even called the reservation center to see if they could locate our reservation using the credit card number and were told there was no reservation. She then told us that she could go ahead and make a reservation, but they did not have any King rooms available. As frustrating as the situation was, we didn't have a choice at that point so we took it. The next morning, New Years Day at 9 am, we were woken up by the sound of a drill; it turns out the hotel was renovating the floor below ours. I guess they didn't think that guests would like to sleep in on New Years. Then to top it all off, I looked at my credit card transactions 2 days later, and we were charged for the reservation I made over the phone that they could not locate. We were charged twice! I called the hotel that evening to get it resolved and was told that only accounting could clear it up, and they only work 9-5. I called the next day between those hours and got someone's voice mail. I still have yet to hear back. Needless to say, we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Irina R
Thank you for comments about your recent stay over New Years Eve. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you had with your reservation and room type. We are presently under renovation of our guest rooms, which will be completed by the middle of February. Unfortunately, some issues with noise have been the result of this improvement to the hotel.