“Great place to stay for me”

Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Greenville, North Carolina
“Great place to stay for me”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have stayed here twice and have loved both stays - first my room on the 5th floor, and next on the 20th floor. I have worked with the front desk, the bellman staff, the sales and event planning staff, and the AV staff. They could not have been more cooperative. Thank you!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about both of your stays with us here at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. It would appear that you are visiting us a meeting planner or group contact. We are happy that everything has gone well and your contact with our staff have all been positive.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed for business travel and had hit or miss Internet, which made getting business done difficult. I then used my Bberry as my Internet source so I could accomplish a few tasks. I called the front desk, but they said it was likely my computer setting. since this had never happened in all the years of travel and stays within other Marriott properties i did not care for the response. my IT guy said it was not the computer. Since I'm not a tech person, i was a bit frustrated at the situation. I like the location and I had a beautiful view of the water. The workout room worked great for me. I wanted to try the nearby shopping but just didn't have time.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with view of the water
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank your for your recent comments about your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues with your internet. We are presently renovating our guest rooms and will continue on to the lobby and second floor bar area. Hopefully the next time you visit from Iowa, you can stay in one of our newly renovated guest rooms.
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Where to start with all the things that went wrong? I called the hotel directly several days before our stay on NYE to make reservations. I was connected to a call center, where I made a reservation for 2 King rooms. I was driving so I didn't write down the confirmation number. We showed up the day of our reservation and were told that they couldn't find our reservation. The front desk attendant even called the reservation center to see if they could locate our reservation using the credit card number and were told there was no reservation. She then told us that she could go ahead and make a reservation, but they did not have any King rooms available. As frustrating as the situation was, we didn't have a choice at that point so we took it. The next morning, New Years Day at 9 am, we were woken up by the sound of a drill; it turns out the hotel was renovating the floor below ours. I guess they didn't think that guests would like to sleep in on New Years. Then to top it all off, I looked at my credit card transactions 2 days later, and we were charged for the reservation I made over the phone that they could not locate. We were charged twice! I called the hotel that evening to get it resolved and was told that only accounting could clear it up, and they only work 9-5. I called the next day between those hours and got someone's voice mail. I still have yet to hear back. Needless to say, we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Irina R
Thank you for comments about your recent stay over New Years Eve. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you had with your reservation and room type. We are presently under renovation of our guest rooms, which will be completed by the middle of February. Unfortunately, some issues with noise have been the result of this improvement to the hotel.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

A last minute Christmas time stay to visit family in the nearby Senterra Hospital. The hotel staff was super friendly and the location was so convenient. Even an error on our bill was corrected efficiently, and the manager extended the lower rate to my brother's room as well. If I am ever back in the area, would definitely repeat the Waterside Marriott!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay with us at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. We hope everything is alright with the family member you were visiting at Sentara. Sometimes we forget that the little things that we do to help a guest will alleviate some of the stress from more important aspects of their life. We are glad that we could help you and your family over the Christmas Holiday.
dnpinva
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I highly recommend this hotel. It is a reasonable price and provides a high quality stay. The parking is easy. The lobby is beautiful. The bar is fun. The rooms are nice with a good selection of channels on the TV, large windows, comfortable bed, and attractive furniture. From the moment we checked in, we felt welcomed. The front desk staff are very good. The gym is a 5-star gym - among the best of any hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay. We appreciate all of the great comments about our hotel and staff, especially from a frequent contributor to TripAdvisor as yourself.
Elsmere, Kentucky, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

We had recently stayed here for two nights to pick our son up after a long deployment. The bellman George was just as kind and helpful as can be! George made us feel very special and so did one of the front desk ladies but unfortunately could not remember her name! The only few things I could expect much different is cleaning under the bed!! There was quite a bit of dirt and other debri under the bed. The bathroom was very clean even the tub. I took white tissue and checked, no dust. Now for amenities, there was not breakfast included unless you paid a different rate which was not stated on their website, on the website it did state under amenities that there was breakfast buffet but it is $13.95. Also, in the pool area it has a sign for a game room, supposedly you have to go across the street which seems very silly to me. The pool area was very nice with the a few hot tubs outside blocked from each other looking over the bay. There was one hot tub inside. The pool looked cleaned and well care for. The beds were ok pillowtops would have been wonderful,they were a little too soft for me but no one else complained. The room it self was very small hard to walk around in with 2 adults and 2 children. It would have been great if there was a mini fridge and microwave but maybe it comes with a more upscale room, not sure. If you want ice forget it unless you want to cram yourself in aq 2 x 2 room and you have to be skinny to get into the tiny room also patience!! I stood there 5 minutes and was lucky to get 3 clumps of ice. I was so frustrated I told my family to pretend they were in Europe and did not need cool drinks!!! All in all if it wasn't for George I would give this hotel a 1 star rating!! We are staying in a Best Western tonight on our way home, this I would give a 5 star rating, we were in the room 10 minutes, front desk called and asked if we were happy!! There is a mini fridge microwave same size tv , ice machine that works and our room is big!! They even cleaned under the BED!! BTW, we are in Staunton Va. Oh and breakfast, it is included and an extensive menu which is included!! Also, if you have a young child or yourself and you need liquid tylenol for the child it is $13.95 in there little store, and for a small bottle of advil, I believe 12 caps it is $11.95 there is nothing open in the wee hours of the morning. I had walked down Granby at 6am looking for a store and nothing was open until 9am. I had to succomb to using there little store since it opened at 7 am, Anyway to sum it up hotel was ok would not rave, the only 2 things it has is the hot tubs but mostly George the bellman.

Room Tip: Ask for the waterside rooms otherwise you are looking at rundown bldgs across from your room!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Camille E
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you had with your room. Your comments have been shared with our housekeeping department to improve our service to all of our guests. Microwave and refrigerators are available to all our our guest free of charge on a limited basis. We are glad that you had the opportunity to meet George. He has been with the hotel for a number of years and is a great asset to our team.
Newport, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed there for three nights. Whether it is a weekday or weekend night bar and lounge were full of partying people well after the midnight. Friendly and helpful staff. You will not feel alone in this busy party place. Cleanliness, conditions of room and amenities were great.

Room Tip: Wifi strength in 9 th floor was not that good.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent visit. We are glad that you found the staff friendly and helpful and that you did not feel alone in joining all of our other guests enjoying the holidays.