“Great location and lovely and corn hotel.”

Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
London
“Great location and lovely and corn hotel.”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and everything was excellent, would recommend if you are coming to Norfolk! Bar/restaurant serves great steaks and burgers and all the staff were very helpful and friendly. Gym is well equipped, although pool is small and very shallow (they claim 3 ft deep, but I reckon it's only just over 2ft).

• Stayed December 2012
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay. We are glad that you were able to enjoy our great food and helpful and friendly service in Shula's 347 Grill.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during the Thanksgiving holiday. We were there to spend the holiday with family. The room had a great view of the harbor, being on the 23rd floor; it was spacious and as with other Marriott properties in this category, the bed was very comfy and the linens high-end. It was right smack in downtown Norfolk and walking distance to the mall and other points of interest. Obviously, we spent Black Friday shopping at MacArthur Mall which is only two blocks from the hotel. We had access to the Concierge Suite for breakfast and the food was good with a lot of variety. I would stay there again when visiting my niece and her family who lives 5 minutes away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent visit over the holiday week. As you discovered during your visit, we are very fortunate to be centrally located in downtown Norfolk close to shopping, restaurants, museums, and Town Point Park. We are glad that you were able to enjoy our food and services in the Concierge Lounge. The next time you visit your niece, we hope you will come visit us again.
richmond
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I spent 4 days at the Marriott in Norfolk for a business meeting. The rooms were spacious (by hotel standards) the beds confortable, the rooms were quiet and clean. The staff were very cordial and helpful. The convention facilities were excellent and the central location to downtown Norfolk was great.

The indoor pool was average size, rectangular, and allowed limited lap swimming. The exercise facilities were well equipped with many types of machines and weights. Overall very good.

I would stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay. If every guest would describe us as "clean and guite rooms" and "very cordial and helpful staff," we would be very happy. If you ever take a golf outing in the Hampton Roads area, please come see us again.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The following is an email I sent to the Assistant General Manager on Nov. 20th. I have heard nothing back, so I am expressing my experience here:

I am writing to you today to share my experience I had in your hotel while visiting the second floor lounge area last night, Nov. 19. I am new to the Hampton Roads area and I wanted to get out and visit some places where I could enjoy a drink and time with my book. I found the lounge area on the second floor the perfect spot. As soon as I found the perfect place by the fire in a wonderful leather wing back chair surrounded by the soft lighting, dark wood, and the subtle sound of the old time jazz in the background. I quickly was relaxed and into the book I had brought along. This area that you have created is a haven for me. The only thing that could have made it better, was if I was offered a drink to go along. This is where I was left disappointed. The gentleman that was working the lounge last night, while great and personable with the other patrons, completely ignored me the entire two and half hours I spent there. During this time, I observed him making his rounds ensuring the comfort of other guests as well as helping new guests to their seats and taking orders for drinks. As he passed by multiple times, I even began to make it a point to look up at him so that he would not feel as if he were interrupting my reading. Over the course of the evening, not once did he even acknowledge my presence. I became frustrated and left. I did happen to find another great spot across the street at the Sheraton where a great bartender served me and we even discussed the book I was reading. I would much rather have stayed at your establishment as I still think you have the perfect area for me to unwind in, however, will I receive the same lack of service again if I return? I am not writing to try to seek compensation for my experience, seeing how I did not spend any money. I am just sharing with you so that you may have the opportunity to address the issue and hopefully improve the service. Had the bartender offered to get me a drink, or see a menu (as I would have indulged in a light meal as well after watching the Dr. sitting next to me enjoy his), or even just a "Good evening, may I get you anything?" would have been great.

Thank you for giving me a moment of your time and listening to my concerns. I do believe you have a fantastic product, and with some tweaks, you could make it a world class establishment!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tarbaugh0516
Thank you for your comments about your recent visit to our piano lounge. Welcome to the area and you are correct when you stated that you had found the perfect spot to relax and enjoy your book. Please accept our sincere apology for the problem you had with our service and non-response to your earlier communication. This is not typical of the service and personal commitment to excellence that we strive to achieve here at the hotel. If you are ever in the mood to enjoy a relaxing evening, come see us again.
Virginia Beach
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is the second time we stayed here to attend a formal event in their ball room. Last year there were several small housekeeping problems - small ones, but too many for a hotel of this caliber. This year, however, everything was very nice. The room was clean, the staff very friendly and the ballroom event was wonderful. We wished there were more than the three coffee packs (for a one-cup machine) and there were hardly any coffee condiments at all. We would have liked enough for two cups each. Also, we could not find any information on TV channels which was a little frustrating. Otherwise, we were pleasantly surprised after last year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments about your recent visit. We are glad that the issues you experienced last year were not present on this visit. Our goal is to improve out product and service to each and everyone of our guests with every new experience. Your comments have been shared with all departments in order to improve our service to all of our guests.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My family, friends, and I stayed here for my college graduation. The accommodations were excellent. I have visited the Norfolk Marriott several times during my time in Hampton Roads for evening events, business events, and school functions. They have always been very accommodating. A great location to stay in when you want to visit Norfolk.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Congratulations on your graduation and thank you for letting us be a part of this joyous day. We are glad that you stay with us during your visits to Norfolk and that we can continue to be your home away from home.
Mineral, Virginia
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Nice comfy rooms w/ great bedding.
However, w/ the nightly price why the heck is Internet $10 a day? Really?
Valet is $26 a day and parking deck is $12 a day. Ridiculous.
Shulas is yummy but also overpriced. If your on concierge Lvl, go to the lounge and get free breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. There is free wi-fi in the lobby, Shula's 347 Grill, the Dining Room, the Piano Lounge and the Concierge Lounge for all of our guests. Unfortunately the garage in which our guest park is managed by the City of Norfolk.